Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddles with narrower noses

Had a bit of chafing going on recently which I've traced (I think) to the Charge Spoon saddle on my commuter, I guess I've been changing my position over time and it's now too wide.

The 143mm Romin on my 'good' bike is fine, and sure enough measures about 4mm narrower across the nose.

I don't really want to put a Romin on the commuter due to cost and the relatively skimpy padding, so trying to find something similar but cheaper.

I see Selle Italia do a 'friction free' range which is essentially narrower across the nose for the same overall width, and since they seem to be going cheap online I'll probably try one of those, although still concerned about the lack of padding for what is really a 'base miles'/winter bike.

Any other suggestions? I have high hopes for the Bontrager Montrose Comp as it is cheap, apparently relatively well padded (for a road saddle) and looks nice and narrow, but only measuring one will confirm (am sure the shop will be delighted to see customers bringing in their own callipers to measure saddles lol!).

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Welsh Boy, very good point, in fact my new Romin is distinctly harder than previous saddles but I'm getting on fine with it!

I guess it's hard to shake the notion that you need some padding on a winter bike that you're more likely to be plodding around on.

Have secured a Fabric Line saddle for £30 second hand, reviews suggest they have a narrow nose.

No Selle Italia 'test centres' nearby and the ID match doesn't really take account of nose width, so I'd prefer trial and error using cheap or second hand saddles rather than commiting to expensive new saddles and hoping I can swap them at the shop, experience has taught me that there is a limit to how often you can swap saddles before a shop gets sniffy (plus the constant dread of crashing or otherwise damaging an expensive saddle that you'd maybe hoped to return!). 

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
1 like

Padding doesn’t necessarily make for a comfortable saddle, the most comfortable saddle I have used in over 40 years of cycling is a Flyte titanium which has a narrow nose and very thin padding. Used on road and hard tail and full suspension mountain bikes. 

philhubbard | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi Ian, I would also recommend trying out a few. Quite a lot of brands such as Selle Italia and Fizik have test samples which can be tried in store for a couple of weeks to see if you get on with them.

Specialized also offer a 30 day returns period where you can try a saddle and then return it if it isn't for you. Speak to your local shop and they should be able to help you 

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ian, try before you buy with a demo, or get sized up at a local dealer.. 

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/idmatchdealer/

I got sized up, got advised a saddle and it was a cracker!

Latest Comments