Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How best to wrap home-made energy bars

Hi

Rather than buy my usual energy bars (as they've been discontinued), I've made some.

Now I wondering how best to wrap these homemade bars so that they're protected, easy to open on the bike and don't stain or get my jersey pockets sticky and stained.

What do other people use to wrap their homemade bars / snacks in when out on a ride?

I can't seem to find anything like the sealed foiled wraps that mass produced bars come in.

Thanks

Matt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ConcordeCX | 4 years ago
0 likes
bbir | 4 years ago
0 likes

I use this:

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/70311/Lakeland-Parchment-Lined-Foil-30cm-x-15m

Cut into a square, foil side in, folded round a bite sized piece so it can be opened with one hand and teeth whilst on the move.  Can be re-used if you need to.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

Rather than wrapping your treats, I find it easier to stuff them into my cheeks. No need for extra plastic or paper that way and as a bonus, no-one asks you to share.

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

Wrap in rice paper first, cube it, zip lock bag. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
0 likes

Greaseprrof if you have to, no need for foil as it'll be held in place in your pocket/saddle bag, worse case use a bit of caramalised sugar from the tray to stick the greaseproof down or a bit of cornflake starch or even a yiny bit of flour mixed with water a dab is all you need to create a glue.

Better still is to recycle other wrappings that you might have at home. Warburton's loaves for instance have a waxy wrapping, people have been wrapping their butties in it since I can remember back to the 70s. You can reuse it many times over and no need to wash it unless your sugar has 'leaked', just fold up the wrapping again. but you could use any wrapping that comes to hand that started as something else.

Another alternate is If you've a small ziplock bag that you might have bought for a phone, then that would work equally as well, just don't go out and buy one specifically to put your food bars in yes.

Bikey Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi Matt.
I found this (wrapping method is underneath the recipe) https://www.ilovebicycling.com/ which I have found to be very effective.
Make sure you use a heavy-ish aluminium foil otherwise it'll just break up when you try to open it.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

I take out homemade flapjacks and brownies, I like to wrap the bar in a small bit of greaseproof paper and then foil.  Works well for me, but I like to stop and eat.  Today I had a banana and white chocolate muffin.

Latest Comments