Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pinging or knocking heard from bottom bracket

Hey All, Without taking the bike apart, I was hoping to figure out what a knocking or pinging sound is due to.  It seems like it's coming from the bottom bracket.  It happens at the same point in my peddle cycle (although that point has changed over time).  I suspect something is loose like a ball bearing or something is cracked..  It only happens when I'm peddling and there is load on the chain.  Any ideas? Thanks!

Audio: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1bidFnmnnGa

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/whistler/2015  Must select Whistler 70 when on the site.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the others, it's usually the quick releases, the chainring bolts, the headset, or the saddle. Unless you have a pressfit bottom bracket, then you're in a world of pain I'm afraid.

brimstone | 4 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar noise a couple of months ago - it was the head tube bearings in my case.  They had light corrosion on them from all the winter riding I had completed.  A quick clean up and lots of new grease instantly cured the noise.

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

any reason why you arent following up on the suspension fork question you asked~?

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

It’s often the rear quick release 

ConcordeCX | 4 years ago
0 likes

You should probably buy a new bike

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Some easy and less obvious things to check:

• chainring bolts - are they tight
  • rear derailleur - any movement from the plates
  • pedals are tight with no movement
  • too much play in the front forks/headset
  • cracked saddle
  • seatpost (repeating ktache)

Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cut an old garden hose to use as a stethoscope. Put the bike on a stand and spin the crank, the hose will find the culprit.

kovacsa replied to Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mr Pennington wrote:

Cut an old garden hose to use as a stethoscope. Put the bike on a stand and spin the crank, the hose will find the culprit.

Thanks, any videos or more info on how this would work?

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Unfortunately it could be coming from anywhere on the bicycle.  It always sounds as though it's coming from the bottom bracket.

For me normally it's the seatpost, clean and grease, for others it's the wheel quick releases, adjust and tighten.  All easily done and never a bad idea to do occasionally anyway.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bike name, model and year?

kovacsa replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Bike name, model and year?

Hey Sorry, Here's the bike.  https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/whistler/2015  Must select Whistler 70 when on the site.

Latest Comments