Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Freehub advice

Hi my freehub body has been eaten trough by cassette and wondering what freehub body should I replace it with or potentially upgrade ?

The wheelset is Giant slr 1 aero internals made by dt swiss 3 pawl system.

I was looking at some hope 4 pawls but will it work ?

Thanks Kris

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Ogi | 4 years ago
2 likes

To avoid biting, you need to tighten the lockring to the 35-40Nm and check it occasionally.

Bowks replied to Ogi | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

To avoid biting, you need to tighten the lockring to the 35-40Nm and check it occasionally.

When one refers to biting, are you talking about the marks from the cassette on the exterior of the freehub, or the freehub jamming and not spinning freely as it is designed to do?

I'm asking as I've had an issue where the freehub has jammed insdie the hub, which I think was caused by the LBS overtightening the cassette.

Drinfinity replied to Bowks | 4 years ago
1 like

Bowks wrote:

Ogi wrote:

When one refers to biting, are you talking about the marks from the cassette on the exterior of the freehub, or the freehub jamming and not spinning freely as it is designed to do?

I'm asking as I've had an issue where the freehub has jammed insdie the hub, which I think was caused by the LBS overtightening the cassette.

I don’t see how over tightening the lock ring can do anything other than give you a tight ring. The cassette sits on the shoulders of the freehub at the inboard end, and the lock ring screws into the outboard end of the freehub, compressing the sprockets together. It has no bearing on the bearings.

If you can’t get the freehub off, it is because the axle has seized into the bearings. Gently persuade it out - videos on line of the best way to do this, depending on your make of hub. Assuming you have cartridge bearings . If you have cup and cones, then ignore me and google the videos.

Pret | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for replies. I ended up ordering dt swiss replacement but aluminium freehub as they don't make steel of this version. The freehub body is chewed up at smalles cog and literally pieces of aluminium are falling off hence I was thinking about hope steel but sadly they don't fit. 

Podc | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have DT Swiss wheels on my MTB and the 11 speed freehub body also got chewed by the cassette. Not sure how bad your damage is, but I cleaned up mine as best I could with a file and made sure the cassette was tight and haven't had any further issues.

Replacement was about £35 eg: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/dt-swiss-3pawl-freehub-body-alumi...

Bowks | 4 years ago
0 likes

I can recommend this website for Giant parts: https://www.giantbikespares.com/ 

As Ogi suggests, save yourself the guesswork and the potential pain of getting it wrong, and replace like for like.

Ogi | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hope will almost certainly not work. Try and find some DT Swiss direct 3 pawl replacement. I would focus on visual aspects of the hub and try to match it, if you can't figure out the exact model.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=155964;menu=1000,4,32;pag...

Latest Comments