Home

Hi - for those living in South Manchester I was wondering if anyone else has come across the new barrier put across Brooks Drive in Hale Barnes. This is the road that gives access between the A538, Hale Road, and Roaring Gate Lane and the lanes beyond. Its a very useful & quiet north to south route. In the last few weeks it has been completely blocked off by a 10ft high metal fence.

Anyone interested in this as a through route could do with complaining to Trafford Council through their 'Report-it' website.

Laurence

6 comments

CygnusX1 [1173 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Not been that way for a while - to be honest I prefer the tarmac of the industrial estate to the flinty gravel/sand of Brooks Drive.  Whereabouts has the fence gone up? any signage suggesting  whether temporary or permanent?

Loz _ A [3 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

It's gone up right at the end of the tarmac section on Brooks Drive - just after the last house on the right. There is (was) then about 100yds of the rough surface before you got to Roaring Gate Lane and back on the road again. I always though quite tollerable for such a short section. I agree the sections of Brooks Drive further north ie from Roaring Gate Lane to Brooklands Road is a bit rough. OK on the tourer but I stear clear on the fixed with its 700C's!

CygnusX1 [1173 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Ah, that section.  The road sign at the Hale Road end of Brooks Drive says it is a private road,  do you know if there is a public right of way on that section up to the corner of Roaring Gate/Thorley Lane?

There is (or was) a dodgy airport valet parking outfit in the field to the left of the point you mention  the fence has been erected.

Aeriel view of "valet parking" in the field: https://goo.gl/maps/A3UiLchucpVfvMrn8 

I'm guessing the fence is either (a) the rich folk owning a property on the tarmac section trying to keep the  riff-raff out, or (b) a land-grab by the aforementioned riff-raff /parking scammers to expand their "secure, patrolled parking". 

Either way if its a right of way then I will certainly add a complaint to Trafford council.

Organon [301 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Watch out for the Tatton Park Flower show this weekend if you are anywhere south of there. Avoid the north of Tatton Park.

Loz _ A [3 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

My feeling entirly about Brooks Drive. Trafford are on the case re the blockage. Whilst it is a private road it hasn't been formally designated a public right of way. But with the fact that there's been unhindered access for such a long time (I knew about it 45 years ago) there is a desire by Trafford to make it so.

Re Organon's comment - yes just been for a ride round Tatton today and saw all the prep'n. Not got tickets this year as we usually go on the tandem however, spouse has just had a knee operation!

Kapelmuur [463 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Talking of the neighbourhood of Tatton Park, there’s a sign on Chapel Lane stating it will be closed for 14 weeks from 22nd July.

Surprising considering how often it was closed during the 4 year construction of the new A556.