Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Blocked cycle route - South Manchester

Hi - for those living in South Manchester I was wondering if anyone else has come across the new barrier put across Brooks Drive in Hale Barnes. This is the road that gives access between the A538, Hale Road, and Roaring Gate Lane and the lanes beyond. Its a very useful & quiet north to south route. In the last few weeks it has been completely blocked off by a 10ft high metal fence.

Anyone interested in this as a through route could do with complaining to Trafford Council through their 'Report-it' website.

Laurence

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

JohnPercy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have used the route down Brooks Drive from the A538 to Roaring Gate Lane for upwards of 60 years.
Not only is the route now blocked off but the new sign at the Hale Road end says no pedestrians, no cycling, no trespassing, no loitering. There is a public footpath that comes out onto Brookes Drive so there must be legitimate public access.

Peter B. Hardy replied to JohnPercy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I came across this blockage yesterday; I had no idea that it was there and I gather it has now been there over a year. I am not a cyclist but I do walk quite a lot and in the past have many times walked along this road, which is part of a historic routew from Sale to Hale created by the cottan magnate/banker Samuel Brooks and his son William Brooks. I am absolutely furious at this blockage! I gather that no-one has been able to achieve anything towards getting it removed during the last year.  As pointed out in the earlier post, a puiblic footpath comes on to Brooks Dive, at SJ801861; for there to be no northward route from the end of this path is ridiculous - anyone coming out of the path has apparently no choice but to either turn left into Brooks Drive and walk back to the A.538 road, or else just turn round and go back the way he has come along the path!I sincerely hope that the fight to have this fence removed has NOT been given up.

Mr A Johnson replied to JohnPercy | 3 years ago
2 likes

During the summer of 2019 a fence was erected blocking Brooks Drive (near to Thorley Lane) in Hale Barns - this was a route frequently used by cyclists including myself.
Action is now being taken to get this added as a bridleway to the Trafford Council definitive map
What is needed is evidence that this has been used as a right of way in the past
This is being supported by the www.peakandnorthern.org.uk and evidence should be sent to Martin Hampar (Hampar [at] outlook.com)

It would be appreciated if anybody reading this who would like Brooks Drive reinstated as a right of way could contact Martin and provide details of how you have used Brooks Drive in the past.

There is currenty a public footpath from Hale Road almost all the way to the fence where it goes over a style and loops back alongside the M56. The notice should be largely ignored as it is a public right of way.

Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
0 likes

Talking of the neighbourhood of Tatton Park, there’s a sign on Chapel Lane stating it will be closed for 14 weeks from 22nd July.

Surprising considering how often it was closed during the 4 year construction of the new A556.

Loz _ A | 4 years ago
0 likes

My feeling entirly about Brooks Drive. Trafford are on the case re the blockage. Whilst it is a private road it hasn't been formally designated a public right of way. But with the fact that there's been unhindered access for such a long time (I knew about it 45 years ago) there is a desire by Trafford to make it so.

Re Organon's comment - yes just been for a ride round Tatton today and saw all the prep'n. Not got tickets this year as we usually go on the tandem however, spouse has just had a knee operation!

Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

Watch out for the Tatton Park Flower show this weekend if you are anywhere south of there. Avoid the north of Tatton Park.

CygnusX1 | 4 years ago
1 like

Ah, that section.  The road sign at the Hale Road end of Brooks Drive says it is a private road,  do you know if there is a public right of way on that section up to the corner of Roaring Gate/Thorley Lane?

There is (or was) a dodgy airport valet parking outfit in the field to the left of the point you mention  the fence has been erected.

Aeriel view of "valet parking" in the field: https://goo.gl/maps/A3UiLchucpVfvMrn8 

I'm guessing the fence is either (a) the rich folk owning a property on the tarmac section trying to keep the  riff-raff out, or (b) a land-grab by the aforementioned riff-raff /parking scammers to expand their "secure, patrolled parking". 

Either way if its a right of way then I will certainly add a complaint to Trafford council.

Peter B. Hardy replied to CygnusX1 | 3 years ago
0 likes

There is quite definitely a public footpath which leaves the A.538 road northwards immediately east of the motorway roundabout, crosses the broken section of Hasty Lane at SJ804854 and comes on to Brooks Drive at SJ801861 (see the OS "Pathfinder" map). This is a little south of the blockage, which prevents one from turning right from the footpath and heading through Davenport Green and makes a nonsense of the path.

Loz _ A | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's gone up right at the end of the tarmac section on Brooks Drive - just after the last house on the right. There is (was) then about 100yds of the rough surface before you got to Roaring Gate Lane and back on the road again. I always though quite tollerable for such a short section. I agree the sections of Brooks Drive further north ie from Roaring Gate Lane to Brooklands Road is a bit rough. OK on the tourer but I stear clear on the fixed with its 700C's!

CygnusX1 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Not been that way for a while - to be honest I prefer the tarmac of the industrial estate to the flinty gravel/sand of Brooks Drive.  Whereabouts has the fence gone up? any signage suggesting  whether temporary or permanent?

Latest Comments