Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

MGIF

2 weeks ago I get overtaken just before some traffic lights onto a roundabout (2 lanes so taking the lane is not relevant), driver cuts in and brakes in front on me leaving me with not many options.

In fact I undertook and 'words were exchanged'.

Today I approach a set of traffic lights just gone red on a narrow road and 10m before the lights I'm overtaken. Only the county council has only just redone the lines and there is a very prominent ASL box.

Driver decides to occupy the box, I slip up the inside with "which bit of advance stop line don't you understand".

Talk about a lack of congitive function - completely unable to observe the lights or the ASL and drive accordingly.

What is it with these MGIFs ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hurry up and wait was standard Army terminology before Blondie existed.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
2 likes

I quite like that turn of phrase - accelerating to a stop.

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

What most people don't realise is that it's braking that really burns through fuel.

brooksby replied to srchar | 4 years ago
6 likes

srchar wrote:

What most people don't realise is that it's braking that really burns through fuel.

I was taught to try and drive at a steady speed where possible.

Watching ahead so you can ease off on the accelerator and let air resistance and/or gravity and/or the engine itself work with you rather than actively using the brakes for traffic lights etc.

And certainly never doing that whole 'foot to the floor' thing that seems so popular nowadays... 

Redvee replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

Watching ahead so you can ease off on the accelerator and let air resistance and/or gravity and/or the engine itself work with you rather than actively using the brakes for traffic lights etc.

It's what I do when riding to/from work. As I'm doing the same route everyday I know the light sequence and timings, there's a set of lights in Bristol City Centre that the only way to get through them when setting off from the previous set is to do so at 25mph so I get upto 15 mph and freehweel to the stop line avoiding the cars that have just overtaken me.

Bob's Bikes | 4 years ago
5 likes

No you just don't understand the modern motorist they have to use the motor to get to that red light, and at speed so that they get to use more fuel, sit at lights reving engine and then wait at least five to ten seconds after the lights have gone green before pulling away (not forgetting to stay in first longer than necessary) because it sounds sooo good. Then getting someone to write your letter of complaint (to msm) with regard to the cost of fuel.

srchar | 4 years ago
4 likes

I call it "accelerating to a stop". See it all the time. It's those annoyingly slow bikes holding them up, you see. Not the red lights and other vehicular traffic.

mike the bike replied to srchar | 4 years ago
2 likes

srchar wrote:

I call it "accelerating to a stop". See it all the time. ......

As they say in the army, "Hurry up and wait."

HarryTrauts replied to mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

srchar wrote:

I call it "accelerating to a stop". See it all the time. ......

As they say in the army, "Hurry up and wait."

That was Blondie, wasn't it?  I don't think Debbie Harry was ever in the army.

Latest Comments