Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The cycle helmet debate continues

Well I know where I stand on this. I agree with the surgeon. But I'll just leave this here and see what everyone else says.

Now I've lit the blue touch paper, I'll stand well back!

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/07/15/helmets-do-nothing-says-british-s...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

A British surgeon being quoted on an American website. I'd say that sounds a bit anecdotal to me.

Nat Jas Moe | 4 years ago
0 likes

I can say the answer is yes. Having been involved in a RTA recently where I was doing about 15-20 mph and having hit my head on said car, you only need to see the damage to the helmet and the damage to other parts of me to realise that the helmet saved my head significant damage. Would that have been loss of life, hard to say but the damage would have been life changing had I not been wearing one.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

Helmet saved my friends life.
Downhill, steep.
A stoned dude was sitting quietly at a switchback. My mate was KO. He'd lost control and headbutted a tree. The foam sandwich helmet was in 3 pieces. A half hour drive to hospital resulted in a question of why we had stopped after 45 seconds although we had been chatting a half hour drive.

Hearing was impeccable.. Marvelous. In a noisy emergency room filled with speakers my mate had locked on a girl with her boyfriend,
girl whispering to a nurse 10 metres away wanting an afterwards pill because she was frightened of oven duties.
That helmet saved him.. He's a nerd.
Ever hit black ice, oil loss, tram tracks, rock wedge lodged in mud guard, tyre blow out, sudden change of torque system, wet slippery brake pads, loose bolt, ...an unseen parked car?
Helmets are really useful on this topographic bike paths, road and/or dirt.
Shaved legs are funny.. We used to pay out tree stump man but he's correct.. If he slides out he'll increase probably of graze rather than tear.

joeegg | 4 years ago
1 like

Looking at the question"do helmets save lives",is it a question that really has an answer.You'll never be able to prove conclusively that a seatbelt or airbag actually saved someone's life.

So you get into the realms of possibility,and that is generally down to peoples personal interpretations.

If the question was "can helmets prevent non life threatening injuries" then I'd say yes.

It would be great to live in a utopia of safe and careful vehicle drivers,but we don't,and it won't be happening soon. In view of that I will continue to wear a helmet but won't denegrate people who decide not to.

Daveyraveygravey replied to joeegg | 4 years ago
4 likes

joeegg wrote:

Looking at the question"do helmets save lives",is it a question that really has an answer.You'll never be able to prove conclusively that a seatbelt or airbag actually saved someone's life.

So you get into the realms of possibility,and that is generally down to peoples personal interpretations.

If the question was "can helmets prevent non life threatening injuries" then I'd say yes.

It would be great to live in a utopia of safe and careful vehicle drivers,but we don't,and it won't be happening soon. In view of that I will continue to wear a helmet but won't denegrate people who decide not to.

I always wear a helmet, but I don't want it to be made compulsory, and I argue with non-cyclists who get arsey about people on bikes without them.  I say there's as much chance of you falling over in your bath and hurting your head than of you doing the same whilst riding your bike.

However, I have had 5 crashes on my bike in 4 years, and every one of them included banging my head on the deck. None of them involved any other vehicle or any other person.   I broke a shoulder in one, a wrist in another, scraped most of my leg off in the third, and had lesser injuries in the remaining two.  Maybe if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I would have performed some astonishing manoeuvre to stop my head hitting the road, maybe not, but it saved me having hideous headaches to add to the list of injuries.

Griff500 replied to Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
5 likes
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I always wear a helmet, but I don't want it to be made compulsory, and I argue with non-cyclists who get arsey about people on bikes without them.  I say there's as much chance of you falling over in your bath and hurting your head than of you doing the same whilst riding your bike.

However, I have had 5 crashes on my bike in 4 years, and every one of them included banging my head on the deck. None of them involved any other vehicle or any other person.   I broke a shoulder in one, a wrist in another, scraped most of my leg off in the third, and had lesser injuries in the remaining two.  Maybe if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I would have performed some astonishing manoeuvre to stop my head hitting the road, maybe not, but it saved me having hideous headaches to add to the list of injuries.

It's good to see a voice of reason on here, and I suspect your views are typical of most cyclists. The accidents you describe, all low speed incidents (though I appreciate that lying in A&E with broken bones they might not have felt like low speed incidents), fall in the range where physics supports the view that a helmet can reduce damage. On the other hand those who believe that 2cm compression of foam will have a sufficient impact on g reduction when in contact with a vehicle travelling at say, 30mph, don't understand the problem. (The problem being perfectly illustrated by the 4th equation of motion, for anyone with a physics O level, and that v squared term is the killer - quite literally. ) I too wear a helmet, but am under no illusions that it is unlikely to do any more than protect my handsome good looks when in contact at low, probably non life threatening, speed.

Daveyraveygravey replied to Griff500 | 4 years ago
2 likes

Griff500 wrote:
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

It's good to see a voice of reason on here, and I suspect your views are typical of most cyclists. The accidents you describe, all low speed incidents (though I appreciate that lying in A&E with broken bones they might not have felt like low speed incidents), fall in the range where physics supports the view that a helmet can reduce damage. On the other hand those who believe that 2cm compression of foam will have a sufficient impact on g reduction when in contact with a vehicle travelling at say, 30mph, don't understand the problem. (The problem being perfectly illustrated by the 4th equation of motion, for anyone with a physics O level, and that v squared term is the killer - quite literally. ) I too wear a helmet, but am under no illusions that it is unlikely to do any more than protect my handsome good looks when in contact at low, probably non life threatening, speed.

I used to justify the helmet by saying you can never allow for the other idiots...but my accidents have only involved one idiot, me!  The first one was very high speed, some hill in Devon with a corner at the bottom and climb out, think I got to 50 mph before the corner, nothing coming either way, max usage of the road, just missed the apex, right out on to the grass on the right on the exit, got it back on the road, maybe down to 30 mph by now, then not sure what happened, maybe over-corrected, tank slapper, sliding along the tarmac...

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
3 likes

When we have stab vests and helmets for peds and anti rape devices for women then that would be parity to cycle helmet wearing for cyclists, in fact given what we know in terms of risk, these two groups need these garments massively more than people on bikes need their PPE.

The anti vaccine comment in the first link is oh so typical of an ignorant helmet wearer, people promoting helmets and those pumping out 'research' AKA meta-analysis that is clearly flawed, uses data/injuries  that deliberately distorts things and then presents it in a flawed way and flies in the face of the researchers own protocols (yes that's you Jake Olivier) are dangerous people.

They literally are causing more deaths and injuries, they are causing removing of freedoms, more victim blaming, more focus on the vulnerable to protect themselves and so on.

Just fuck off already and bother to look at the data not just in cycling but all sports that use so called PPE that proves without a doubt that helmets/head protection is a massive failure!

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
7 likes
skwarczek | 4 years ago
0 likes

Have to add this. One of my local club riders doing the Tenby Long course ride.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cycling-bike-helmet-safety...

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

Well I never!

Sriracha | 4 years ago
2 likes

Just read the comments already there in the linked article. Well reasoned points for and against, with more balance and respect than you're likely to find over here.

Pages

Latest Comments