Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campag Zonda shimano free hub

Hi my shimano free hub has given up the ghost on my zonda's (bought 2015) Anyone recommend a replacement, CRC told me they don't stock these anymore will the current fulcrum ones be compatible. 9/10/11sp

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

https://www.bike24.com/p251686.html

your LBS should be able to replace the worn bearing in about 15 minutes though. 

rob39 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Some of the vids I'm watching requires a bearing press? To get the bearings back in the freehub? Some of the prices I'd be easier just getting a new freehub. Anyone know where a compatible freehub for a Campag wheel with Shimano Cassette can be sort.

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Should be “6803 2rs” bearings. There’s a rentention ring that makes it tricky to tap the cartridge out, circlip pliers are handy if you have them. 

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
2 likes

Rob, I am sitting on the side of the road just outside Rambouillet waiting for the Tour de France to pass ( just thought that I would put that in for the fun of it) but when I get back home I will see what info I can get for you if no one else has already done it 

rob39 | 4 years ago
0 likes

The shell does look OK. Anyone point me in the right direction for bearings?
Any video recommendations

mike the bike replied to rob39 | 4 years ago
0 likes

rob39 wrote:

The shell does look OK. Anyone point me in the right direction for bearings? Any video recommendations

If you remove the bearings ( I'd use a length of wooden dowel rather than a screwdriver ) they will probably have some numbers on them.  These might be a commonly used part number ( ac 3544 or similar ) or possibly measurements / angles particular to these bearings.

You can then look at kineticbikebearings.com to track down the replacements.  If yours don't appear on their website, give them a ring and they will sort you out.

Best of luck.

Other bearing suppliers are available, as they say on the BBC, I have no connection with any of them, except as an occasional customer.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

I would change the bearings even if a new freehub was easy to get hold of. Fifty quid is robbery.

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

From experience I would think that it is just the outside sealed bearing which has gone. Tap it out with a small hammer and screwdriver and see if it is gone. It is a readily available size and should cost about £5 for a new one. I have had to change a couple of them, had two original ones fail in a few thousand miles, the replacements have lasted much longer than that. With the price of a new freehub being around £50 it is worth a try first. 

joeegg | 4 years ago
0 likes

If the shell is ok isn't it just possible to replace the bearings ?

Latest Comments