Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycle computer

Can you peeps recommend budget(ish) cycle computer?I have the giant ridesense so don't need cadence sensor and speed, I have wahoo heart rate. Find the plethora of devices a bit overwhelming. LBS says one of Lezyne models.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Some love for Garmins above, but I wouldn't buy another one. The software is flaky and the customer support is slow and ineffective.

When my 520 works, it's great. When something on it isn't working, which is almost always, it's a pain in the arse.

zero_trooper | 4 years ago
0 likes

What device do you use to record/read your RoadSense data with? Do you not need some sort of (ANT+ ?) device for that?

Beatnik69 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone use a Bryton? I was looking at the Road 410, which seems to be a great bit of kit or the money, but would like to hear a real world opinion before pulling the trigger.

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
1 like

SigmaSport, most reliable company in terms of bike computers IMO, always accurate and reliable they;ve been doing it for 30+ years.

Here's a decent one for less than £25 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wired-Bike-Computer-SIGMA-BC-16-16-NFC-Androi...

zero_trooper replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

SigmaSport, most reliable company in terms of bike computers IMO, always accurate and reliable they;ve been doing it for 30+ years.

Here's a decent one for less than £25 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wired-Bike-Computer-SIGMA-BC-16-16-NFC-Androi...

There’s a lot to be said for reliability. Nothing more frustrating than unreliable electronics. At least with mechanical issues you can usually work through the problem.

Griff500 replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
1 like

..... And another one that wont talk to the OP's existing cadence (ridesense) and hrm sensors. Keep up at the back!

zero_trooper replied to Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Griff500 wrote:

..... And another one that wont talk to the OP's existing cadence (ridesense) and hrm sensors. Keep up at the back!

Well the OP was hardly clear what they wanted the computer for.

I take it from your comment that they need something to record/display their cadence and HRM data. Anything else?

Griff500 replied to zero_trooper | 4 years ago
0 likes
zero_trooper wrote:

Griff500 wrote:

Well the OP was hardly clear what they wanted the computer for.

I take it from your comment that they need something to record/display their cadence and HRM data. Anything else?

To be fair, he says clearly in his post that he has ridesense and hrm sensors.

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ive been using the Garmin edge 25 for nearly 2 years. It’s a fantastic little computer. Does everything you need it to. GPS tracking and turn by turn. Plenty of data fields. Heart rate capability with extra sensor. I use my garmin watch. Battery lasts ages and it’s not intrusive sticking out your bars like a giant sat nav screen. Currently on offer at £75 you really can’t go wrong. I’d recommend one to anyone any day of the week. 

Oh and being Garmin it’s reliable and the app is very good. Also links to Strava with no problems automatically. Ive only ever had one issue with it not uploading and that was due to a server issue. 

If you have a garmin fitness watch it’s great to have all the info from all devices in one app

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I use a cheapy. Battery replacement was about $3 for 2 batteries. 1 required to operate speedo.
Does Ave, max, total and current speed. Has a clock, stop watch (maybe).
I don't play with it much. Just ride . It also odometers current ride seperate from total (sort of). Bike rests 8-9 hours at home and next ride is a continuation but rest at work being 12 hours is a break of ride according to computer.

I think eBay flog 'em at about $5Aud. Maybe $3Aud.. They work perfect. Wired to fork pick up. Magnet on spoke. Set up is time and circumference.
Battery lasts ages. 1 year? 2-3years? I can't remember.
Unit gets ridden in storm weather. Reliable.

ooldbaker | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you need GPS but not mapping the Garmin Edge 25 at £75 looks good value.

https://deals.road.cc/content/27-garmin-edge-25-gps-1297

It has cadence and heart rate capabilities.

I have had the lower spec 20 for over three years and I am thinking of buying one of these for when it finally gives up as the replacements are all considerably more expensive. This one is very simple and small but does everything I need.

Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

You didn't say what features you do need from a computer.

Do you need GPS? If you don't then I'd look at Cateye Strada or similar.

Griff500 replied to Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

You didn't say what features you do need from a computer.

Do you need GPS? If you don't then I'd look at Cateye Strada or similar.

The OP does mention he has ridesense and an hrm. I don't believe the Cateye does hrm or cadence (which the ridesense outputs). Apart from that, 40 quid and a 1 year battery life is very tempting if you only want speed and distance.

Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes

There is no longer clear blue water between the price of so called budget and premium models. Another user on here has recommended Lezyne, and then gone on to point out that their software and app are poor. The Bolt is noted by users for "just doing it". Easy to set up, versatile, good compatibility with other devices and apps. Mega £152. Bolt £189.

Wafty Crank replied to Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Griff500 wrote:

There is no longer clear blue water between the price of so called budget and premium models. Another user on here has recommended Lezyne, and then gone on to point out that their software and app are poor. The Bolt is noted by users for "just doing it". Easy to set up, versatile, good compatibility with other devices and apps. Mega £152. Bolt £189.

I don't think the app is poor - just route planning part of it. It works but just not as well as RWGPS, which imo has the best route planner. Price wise, I got the Mega for around £100 so still a fair bit cheaper than a Bolt.

Griff500 replied to Wafty Crank | 4 years ago
0 likes
Wafty Crank wrote:

Price wise, I got the Mega for around £100 so still a fair bit cheaper than a Bolt.

I say again. Today's price Mega Xl £152. Bolt £189. (Wiggle prices)

Wafty Crank | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Lezyne Mega XL and had a Lezyne Super Enhanced before that and have been happy with both.  If you only need turn-by-turn and a breadcrumb trail, the Super is fine, if you want maps, the Mega is the way to go.  I'm not a fan of the route planning on the Lezyne app or desktop site so would recommend planning routes on RWGPS or Strava and importing them onto the Lezyne site.   The on the fly "get me to X" through the phone app is okay, though.  

Latest Comments