Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TV car adverts?

Hi I don't watch much tv but whilst the TdF has been on I've noticed every car advert has at least one bike in it! What are they trying to say?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Jimnm | 4 years ago
1 like

Bloody car adverts are just mental. There’s only ever one on the road. Selling a fantasy to generate more tax. I wonder where all them empty roads are. Be great for us cyclists. 

Organon | 4 years ago
1 like

These types of car are driven by people who go for a bike ride in the country then leave their Strava on on the way home, taking 10 KOMs in the process.

Rick_Rude replied to Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

Organon wrote:

These types of car are driven by people who go for a bike ride in the country then leave their Strava on on the way home, taking 10 KOMs in the process.

LOL. I've a got a stretch of dual carriage near me with a cycle path at the side. KOM is averaging 67mph.

srchar replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

Rick_Rude wrote:

I've a got a stretch of dual carriage near me with a cycle path at the side. KOM is averaging 67mph.

That was me. Legs of steel. I was also drafting a Ford Transit and had a 20mph tailwind.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
4 likes

The ones that worry me are where the car is being advertised on its abilities to distract the driver by means of keeping them connected to their social media life support system as they flit around a vibrant city of traffic free streets deciding which of their beautiful, young, interesting friends to hang out with. Reserved parking directly outside the venue of course.

I'm beginning to think that adverts might just be full of bullshit.

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

Except for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtznmBe_T8w

and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyxoDSz7pIk

Mungecrundle replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

Mungecrundle wrote:

Except for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtznmBe_T8w

and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyxoDSz7pIk

My faith in the integrity of the marketing industry is restored!

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
0 likes

Car adverts are becoming so abstract that soon they won't even have a car in. 

Buy a Nissan and ride a skateboard in a spacesuit! Reality is you're buying a renault with shitty electrics if my experiences are anything to do by. 

darrenleroy | 4 years ago
3 likes

You will never see a car ad with a cyclist featured not wearing a helmet. Even when showing something in history as Keeley Hawes (or whatever she's called) demonstrated in the Ford ad last year: lad on a Raleigh Chopper in the '70s: wearing a helmet. Lad on a Raleigh Burner in the '80s: wearing a helmet. 

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

They never sell them with - a nice place to be when sitting almost stationary in traffic.

David9694 | 4 years ago
1 like

I’m fun, I’m spontaneous, I live in a luminous city with my gorgeous fun companions, or I’m a latter day Davy Crockett, king of mountain gravel roads, with my unbounded spirit of adventure.

srchar | 4 years ago
8 likes

Lifestyle. This car is driven by successful, active, outdoors types, who ride a bike up a mountain then ski back down it. The marketeers would be doing a poor job if they showed a morbidly obese mouth-breather with anger management issues close passing bike riders while commuting to a job they hate.

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
3 likes

it's psychology, just like the empty streets/ease of being able to get about, attarctive people and all the rest of it. it's pushed as aspirational/must have and that your money is well spent on this fabulous machine that can do so many things and cossett you and your family whilst also being exhilirating you when driving like a cunt normal every day driver.

adding the bike into the equation takes the edge off the emmissions aspect and makes you feel all gooey/warm inside because you've got a bike rack on the car!

Latest Comments