Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2 rear cassette rings "spinning" without transferring power

Hey guys, was hoping for some help!

Was putting a lot of power through the bike this morning out the saddle and then bam, I'm on the floor, nothing too serious but damaged pride (right by Trafalgar Square) but lucky nothing was behind me!

I then tried to ride it again and quickly realised that the rear cassette was spinning and not transferring power... This must be why I came off...

I then discovered this is only happening on TWO gears, all the rest seem fine! But if I use these two, the cassette spins along with the chain but is offering zero resistance. I have looked and have seen things elsewhere but nothing that really matches this description... Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Hussavik | 4 years ago
0 likes

Turns out I snapped part of the cassette (a spacer I think?) Towards the larger end of the cogs, ultegra as well, fitted in April, pretty disappointed! New cassette, and getting a new chain at the same time.... Thanks for all your help everyone!

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Did that not used to be one of the main differences between Dura-Ace / Record cassettes and the rest:  the former fully engaged and so pressure and wear on the freehub was evenly distributed, but the cheaper versions only partially engage so damage alloy freehubs in particulary.  Still, quite a job to sheer it off! 

AfterPeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

Has your cassette got a carbon spider? It has probably snapped

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Freehub, or cassette. The easy gears come in groups of 2 or 3 and are plastic mounted on a spider frame, they could of snapped off the teeth.   

How often do you service the bike?

Hussavik | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks a lot for all your replies, will take it to the bike shop tonight on the way home as it looks like it will need something a bit above my experience!

Thanks again everyone!

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Remove rear wheel. Remove lock ring (sounds like you will probably be able to do this by hand). Answer there will come.

leaway2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

The last couple of "cogs" are seperate. Mybe the locking lugs have sheared off or the lock ring has come loose and they are spinning.

peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

It sounds like your freehub body or the cog/hub interface has worn out. 

You'll have to remove the cassette to see if that is the issue, suggest a trip to the bike shop to see what's what and get new parts, which it sounds like you will need.

ChrisB200SX replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

It sounds like your freehub body or the cog/hub interface has worn out. 

You'll have to remove the cassette to see if that is the issue, suggest a trip to the bike shop to see what's what and get new parts, which it sounds like you will need.

Most likely sheered/mashed clean through the aluminium hub splines, or potentially snapped the freehub body in a very clean and straight break (seems unlikely).
Cassette sprockets tend to be steel and fairly tough.

New freehub body I expect.

Latest Comments