Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta 2019

Just had my first look at the route and details of the race.

Looks like there is a big change in the points competition this year. Some stage have 5 intermediate sprints, some have only one and a lot of the intermediate sprints are half way up a climb. There is one on the flat 2km from the start of a mountain stage.

I have no idea how points are going to be awarded, I can't find a copy of the rules anywhere but it looks like they are trying to create a more competitive competition, which can be won by sprinters, climbers, puncheurs or breakers. Dr Winston should like this.

Interestingly the most competitive rider is chosen by the public via social media.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

162 comments

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Might be a few look a like teams tomorrow....Pffft....Anybody going with somebody left field?

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just 2 transfers today, De Gendt & Bevin in, Lopez & Latour out.

Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gambled today.

Quintana, Lopez, Madrazo and Aru 

Relaced with

TDG, Bevin, Craddock and Oliviera.

With Pogacar, Valverde, Roglic and keeping Latour.  It seems to have worked out.

0 likes

Just one change for today, Quintana out, Higuita in. Not convinced it is a good choice, Jesus Herrada may prove better. I would have picked Teuns but his GC position
might limit his chances.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I did go for Teuns, straight swap for De Gendt. I think De Gendt is tired after his season. I've got Henao and Madrazo who might still fancy the break in the next couple of days. I'll get Lopez back in for stage 13.

0 likes

Yeah that's a fair point. I should have gone Aranburu, looks like he's trying again. 

Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dropping Craddick wasn't my best move.

0 likes

Two changes today. Bevin & De Gendt out, Lopez & Bizkarra in.

0 likes

You'll have caught me up a wee bit with Aranburu. I should have had him in this whole time!

Suthisan | 4 years ago
0 likes

I can’t find Carl Fredrik Hagen LTS in the list of riders. At 6th in GC, he is a possible sleeper in the contest. Is this a temporary glitch or has he retired?

0 likes

Only one change for today Higuita out , Quintana in.

Hoping for a GC day, with Bizkarra & Madrazo collecting KoM points from the break.

GiantOuchMyShin | 4 years ago
0 likes

A quick question...

For stage 16 it looks like you've awarded points at the finish line for both the finish itself and also the summit of the ESP climb (which is also the finish point).

So, for example, Fuglsang gets 35 points for the win and also 20 points for the ESP summit. And he gets 1 point for his 5th place in the KOM jersey.

Was that deliberate?

tony kappler | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, you are correct, there shouldn't be a score for the summit finish; a senior moment on my part.

I'll fix it. I was idly thinking the scores were a bit high; derrrh.

tony kappler | 4 years ago
0 likes

Stage 16 scores updated to remove finish KOM.

Andy has messaged that he is on hols (again!!), so scores will probably be late (after sunrise in Oz) unless someone else chips in.

0 likes

I missed all the warnings about wind yesterday, and messed up going sprinter heavy and wasting transfers.

Gone slightly radical today.

ROGLIC
GILBERT
ARANBURU
VALVERDE
BOUCHARD
GEOGHEGAN HART
POGACAR
MADRAZO

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Why was Walscheid relegated ?

I couldn't spot anything.

Hadn't realised he had been. Nothing was picked up immediately after the race by the commentators...not that I saw anyway. 

Any news on Uran and his injury today?....he may be the one I risk going without if he's hurting...

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Team done. Avoided Aru, cheap as he is, until another day. Did really well on stage 2 but today is a whole bigger ball game...i hope he survives well.

No idea who wins today but could be somebody as left field as Soler or Herrada...whoever it is the ones i really want to do well are Aru, Chaves and Latour...for differing reasons.

Aru & Chaves are the big unknowns, I avoided them.

I fancied Formolo for the next few days but in stage2 it looked like he is in Spain to look after Majka.

The break as ever will be a lottery. De Gendt will probably try today but I think tomorrow suits him better.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Looks like my hunch about Herrada was right (amongst others) pity i didn't pick him...not sure the other two riders have enough about them to make it stick though. Madraza over Aru looks like it might be ok though.

It is Jose Herrada not Jesus, so I think it is unlikely any of these wins unless the group gives them a 10 minute start on the final climb, even then I'm not sure.

Burgos team manager thinks they need 5 minutes at the bottom of the fianl climb.

Dr Winston replied to JohnnyRemo | 4 years ago
1 like

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Anyone else just spent the stage not realising they had the wrong Herrada?

Nope....I did however spend a while thinking I had the wrong Higuita.

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Anybody taking a gamble tomorrow?

Today was very interesting  with nobody really bothering much chasing down the break...same again tomorrow? I can see no reason why it would be any different.

The final climb isn't as hard, tomorrow's is. So it'll be another breakaway win today, and probably a larger one than it was yesterday. A few KOM points on offer, but nothing to trouble Madrazo who'll want to rest after yesterday. I can see a few people who might fancy it, but is it worth it in the grand scheme of things? If I make any changes it'll only be a couple, but it probably isn't worth it.

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Decimating stage so far

Uran, Roche, Carthy & De La Parte all retired after a crash in the bunch.

Hopefully none are hurt badly.

Several others aren't looking great either, Higuita and Formolo to name a couple. Such a shame, Roche was going for a decent GC position, Uran looked in good form, and I was looking forward to what Carthy was capable of.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Missed the entire thing today due to Ikea shopping...grrrr....

Sounds like,I missed a,lot...anybody want to give a run down for me please.

Stage pretty much worked as I thought today...i fancied Herrada to do well in a stage sometime (as above) but then again i’ve felt this race is set up for a series of Herrada’s and plenty of them. On balance I think I would have gone for TDG or Soler if i’d have made any changes....so...pffft....

It was a big battle to get in the break, it only got away after the 2nd climb. Poels picked up the KoM points on both those hills.

11 man break then got away and Astana kept it quite close all day but gave a bit more leeway on the penultimate climb. TJVG was in the break but crashed out on a descent but recovered to finish the stage but came in last by the look of things.

Biggest news is probably a big crash in the bunch, Uran and Carthy both out & gone to hospital to be checked over, De La Parte retired and Roche retired. Formolo hurt but carried on and struggled, Higuita hurt too but not as badly and continued OK.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Teuns may keep the jersey today and tomorrow with that healthy lead. 

If he keeps it today he'll have it until Sunday. Still, he only has a minute over Lopez and on this kind of climb that can be easy to overcome if he's having a bad day. Teuns could survive though, but I fancy Lopez to be back in red tonight.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Guys, what's going to happen tomorrow? I've never been leading a GT before!

Oooooh....keep going Andy....fingers crossed for you.

No idea how tomorrow pans out. Could be anything from a sprint to a GC run in. The only sprinters I would think that could make it might be Bennett, Mezgec and Boassen Hagen...but the racers like Aranburu and Sanchez might fancy it...or Valverde drag a race out of the GC boys.

How many transfers have you got left?...a smart move might be to use transfers on a more certain stage...the one tomorrow is about as uncertain as it gets in this tour.

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

1 out of 3. I got in Aranburu who's made it. I felt sure it was a De Gendt day, but alas. Same for Padun. I considered Jesus Herrada, Teuns, Sanchez, Henao, and Stybar, who have all made it.

I have Aranburu from yesterday. If I had picked anyone else I would have gone Stybar & EBH.

I think DeGendt is saving his energy for the ITT. A  great chance for him to win a world tour ITT.

Edet could end up in red if Astana let him, he is climbing well and should be able to finish in the front group from the break.

The climb could see a small group of 5 or 6 break clear.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Might be a few look a like teams tomorrow....Pffft....Anybody going with somebody left field?

My one choice was Majka or Pogacar, went with the latter. Also keeping one eye on the KOM to see who wants it.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Just 2 transfers today, De Gendt & Bevin in, Lopez & Latour out.

Did you copy my notes? Haha

Sniffer replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

I did go for Teuns, straight swap for De Gendt. I think De Gendt is tired after his season. I've got Henao and Madrazo who might still fancy the break in the next couple of days. I'll get Lopez back in for stage 13.

Put Lopez back in for GC and Young rider points and I would be doing it for 13 anyway.

Left Bevin and Latour in and added Herrada and Aranburu.  That is my four potential breakaways.

Dropped De Gendt and didn't go Teuns as I don't think he will be allowed room to go again.

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Yeah that's a fair point. I should have gone Aranburu, looks like he's trying again. 

Aranburu is near his home town. Looks like I have him & Madrazo in the break. I Should have dropped De Gendt & gone Lopez + Herrada. Tomorrow I'm not convinced the break wins, it looks an easier stage to control & a good stage for lots of riders.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Two changes today. Bevin & De Gendt out, Lopez & Bizkarra in.

Lopez and Brambilla in for me with the same out. Doesn't see like either of our extra picks are going to do anything. After that it's Henao v Aranburu.

Pages

Latest Comments