Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta 2019

Just had my first look at the route and details of the race.

Looks like there is a big change in the points competition this year. Some stage have 5 intermediate sprints, some have only one and a lot of the intermediate sprints are half way up a climb. There is one on the flat 2km from the start of a mountain stage.

I have no idea how points are going to be awarded, I can't find a copy of the rules anywhere but it looks like they are trying to create a more competitive competition, which can be won by sprinters, climbers, puncheurs or breakers. Dr Winston should like this.

Interestingly the most competitive rider is chosen by the public via social media.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

162 comments

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

You'll have caught me up a wee bit with Aranburu. I should have had him in this whole time!

Still a long way to go and lots of people closing in.

I screwed up bringing Higuita in for Quintana, wasted a transfer and threw  away guaranteed points with an outside bet on a kid in his first GT.

MinardiM189 replied to Suthisan | 4 years ago
0 likes

Suthisan wrote:

I can’t find Carl Fredrik Hagen LTS in the list of riders. At 6th in GC, he is a possible sleeper in the contest. Is this a temporary glitch or has he retired?

He is there for me -

C.Hagen    DS    LTS     12.7

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Only one change for today Higuita out , Quintana in.

Hoping for a GC day, with Bizkarra & Madrazo collecting KoM points from the break.

Higuita in the break and they've got a large gap. I also have Madrazo and Bizkarra, but they're not picking up many points, Henao isn't either. Madrazo looks cooked, I might get rid on him tomorrow.

GiantOuchMyShin replied to tony kappler | 4 years ago
0 likes

tony kappler wrote:

Stage 16 scores updated to remove finish KOM.

Andy has messaged that he is on hols (again!!), so scores will probably be late (after sunrise in Oz) unless someone else chips in.

Great. Thank you.

That's knocked down the score in our league for one of our guys who was getting a little over-excited about his high score... 

Sniffer replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I missed all the warnings about wind yesterday, and messed up going sprinter heavy and wasting transfers.

Gone slightly radical today.

ROGLIC
GILBERT
ARANBURU
VALVERDE
BOUCHARD
GEOGHEGAN HART
POGACAR
MADRAZO

A couple of interesting choices.

I have 6 the same, but more instead of Gilbert and Aranburu I have Majka and Lopez.

We will both be cheering on TGH which who I think will be a point of difference.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Looks like my hunch about Herrada was right (amongst others) pity i didn't pick him...not sure the other two riders have enough about them to make it stick though. Madraza over Aru looks like it might be ok though.

It is Jose Herrada not Jesus, so I think it is unlikely any of these wins unless the group gives them a 10 minute start on the final climb, even then I'm not sure.

Burgos team manager thinks they need 5 minutes at the bottom of the fianl climb.

Dear god. Just checked my brothers team...he actually brought in Jose Herrada and Madrazo. Where the hell did he drag that from. Where in his wildest imaginings did he decide Jose Herrada was a pick for today.

0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Anybody taking a gamble tomorrow?

Today was very interesting  with nobody really bothering much chasing down the break...same again tomorrow? I can see no reason why it would be any different.

The final climb isn't as hard, tomorrow's is. So it'll be another breakaway win today, and probably a larger one than it was yesterday. A few KOM points on offer, but nothing to trouble Madrazo who'll want to rest after yesterday. I can see a few people who might fancy it, but is it worth it in the grand scheme of things? If I make any changes it'll only be a couple, but it probably isn't worth it.

Given how things have gone so far it looks like it is going to be an uphill bunch sprint for puncheurs.

and I haven't got Valverde indecision

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Missed the entire thing today due to Ikea shopping...grrrr....

Sounds like,I missed a,lot...anybody want to give a run down for me please.

Stage pretty much worked as I thought today...i fancied Herrada to do well in a stage sometime (as above) but then again i’ve felt this race is set up for a series of Herrada’s and plenty of them. On balance I think I would have gone for TDG or Soler if i’d have made any changes....so...pffft....

It was a big battle to get in the break, it only got away after the 2nd climb. Poels picked up the KoM points on both those hills.

11 man break then got away and Astana kept it quite close all day but gave a bit more leeway on the penultimate climb. TJVG was in the break but crashed out on a descent but recovered to finish the stage but came in last by the look of things.

Biggest news is probably a big crash in the bunch, Uran and Carthy both out & gone to hospital to be checked over, De La Parte retired and Roche retired. Formolo hurt but carried on and struggled, Higuita hurt too but not as badly and continued OK.

Crikey. I really did miss a big day. Got to love the Vuelta and got to love the lack of the Sky train...makes things very unpredictable.

So just Higuita now really for EF...and he’s not looking that great up the toughest of summits.

Valverde actually looks like he could have a good shot at winning this...Roglic aside.

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dimension Data missing the break again.

Dlamini is in there

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Might be a few look a like teams tomorrow....Pffft....Anybody going with somebody left field?

My one choice was Majka or Pogacar, went with the latter. Also keeping one eye on the KOM to see who wants it.

Which one of those two do you fancy for the TT?....Majka has a good TT in him but is recall Pogacar pulled a food ride out earlier in the season when he needed it....

0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Two changes today. Bevin & De Gendt out, Lopez & Bizkarra in.

Lopez and Brambilla in for me with the same out. Doesn't see like either of our extra picks are going to do anything. After that it's Henao v Aranburu.

Both Bevin and De Gendt tried to get in the break early on, I was worrying I might have a stage like Sniffer had with Craddock.

MinardiM189 replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

I have 6 the same, but more instead of Gilbert and Aranburu I have Majka and Lopez.

We will both be cheering on TGH which who I think will be a point of difference.

Lopez & Majka looking better picks than Gilbert & Aranburu.

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Looks like my hunch about Herrada was right (amongst others) pity i didn't pick him...not sure the other two riders have enough about them to make it stick though. Madraza over Aru looks like it might be ok though.

It is Jose Herrada not Jesus, so I think it is unlikely any of these wins unless the group gives them a 10 minute start on the final climb, even then I'm not sure.

Burgos team manager thinks they need 5 minutes at the bottom of the fianl climb.

Dear god. Just checked my brothers team...he actually brought in Jose Herrada and Madrazo. Where the hell did he drag that from. Where in his wildest imaginings did he decide Jose Herrada was a pick for today.

Pigging hell....he won the stage....Well done....

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Crikey. I really did miss a big day. Got to love the Vuelta and got to love the lack of the Sky train...makes things very unpredictable.

So just Higuita now really for EF...and he’s not looking that great up the toughest of summits.

Valverde actually looks like he could have a good shot at winning this...Roglic aside.

They still have Martinez who is 2minutes off the top 10 and Craddock who was trying for the break today.

0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dimension Data missing the break again.

Dlamini is in there

Edited

Currently looks like Astana want to keep the jersey

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

Lopez & Majka looking better picks than Gilbert & Aranburu.

Gilbert and Aranburu might be better Friday picks?

MinardiM189 replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

My gamble didn't pay off, I should have stuck to my original plan and gone with Lopez yesterday and brought Aranburu in today.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

My gamble didn't pay off, I should have stuck to my original plan and gone with Lopez yesterday and brought Aranburu in today.

I went Gilbert, Stybar and Aranburu today.  Wrong DQS rider, but still should work out OK.  Rest are GC and Bouchard.

I didn't go Bennet though.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

I went Gilbert, Stybar and Aranburu today.  Wrong DQS rider, but still should work out OK.  Rest are GC and Bouchard

I ddn't go Bennet though.

My dither was Higuita and Madrazo > Gilbert and Aranburu (keep Lopez)....or Lopez  and Higuita > Gilbert and Bennett...

In the end I din’t expect a GC battle so went with the latter....made a mistake there.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Might be a few look a like teams tomorrow....Pffft....Anybody going with somebody left field?

My one choice was Majka or Pogacar, went with the latter. Also keeping one eye on the KOM to see who wants it.

Which one of those two do you fancy for the TT?....Majka has a good TT in him but is recall Pogacar pulled a food ride out earlier in the season when he needed it....

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Pogacar is Slovenian ITT champion winning on a flat 43km course at avergae of 52.05kph.

However today is the first time he has ridden a crazy stage like today's. He might struggle today and has not much in the way of team support.

Difference between many teams could be having Aru or not.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Pogacar is Slovenian ITT champion winning on a flat 43km course at avergae of 52.05kph.

However today is the first time he has ridden a crazy stage like today's. He might struggle today and has not much in the way of team support.

Difference between many teams could be having Aru or not.

I always think of Majka like Kruijswijk and Buchmann...not winners but dependable....Pogacar on the other hand is less of a metronome and capable of winning...or blowing up.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

I always think of Majka like Kruijswijk and Buchmann...not winners but dependable....Pogacar on the other hand is less of a metronome and capable of winning...or blowing up.

Majka is now very experienced and knows how to race different types of stages.

Pogacar is starting his career and lacks maturity, he showed this with his stupidattack from the bunch on stage 6, where he used a lot of energy to gain 2 seconds.

I have Pogacar because he gets extra points for the young riders competition.

No Aru for me today, which could be a mistake, he is capable of doing a great ITT every now and again.

11waterloo replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Why was Walscheid relegated ?

I couldn't spot anything.

Don’t know why either but helped me no end!!

MinardiM189 replied to JohnnyRemo | 4 years ago
0 likes

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Anyone else just spent the stage not realising they had the wrong Herrada?

Not the wrong one today ?

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Surprised you ditched Teuns Minardi....he may keep the jersey today and tomorrow with that healthy lead. 

That is why I ditched Teuns yes. I actually thought he might get dropped on the penultimate climb if the GC teams went for it.

Did Higuita crash ? I only saw him struggling with no back wheel.

Majka looking good.

Very pleased to see Aru getting competitive again.

0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Guys, what's going to happen tomorrow? I've never been leading a GT before!

Given that you have a 48 point lead you should be able to stay ahead for a while, unless you manage to completely screw up like you did in Binck Bank.yes

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

I went for Rodriguez (Oscar obvs) over Aru and was feeling very smug that he carried a couple of points at least for young rider. Then I spotted that Aru collected 5 because his teammate won. Grrrrrr.........

Condor Andy replied to Suthisan | 4 years ago
1 like

Suthisan wrote:

I can’t find Carl Fredrik Hagen LTS in the list of riders. At 6th in GC, he is a possible sleeper in the contest. Is this a temporary glitch or has he retired?

He's there, but a few riders are missing on the form tables for some reason. So if you sort by name, or value and search LTS then he shows up. Pogacar is also suffering from this.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Surprised you ditched Teuns Minardi....he may keep the jersey today and tomorrow with that healthy lead. 

That is why I ditched Teuns yes. I actually thought he might get dropped on the penultimate climb if the GC teams went for it.

Did Higuita crash ? I only saw him struggling with no back wheel.

Majka looking good.

Very pleased to see Aru getting competitive again.

Yes he did. He had the wheel episode and a crash of some sort off  camera...it flashed up on commentary and discussed with the Eurosport commentators.  Poor day for me...risked one extra day without Valverde....Higuita could have offset it a bit...but not to be.

Majka did look good. Not sure he actually lost much time riding on his own compared to the four ahead..great effort.

...and yes...really pleased for Aru...he can come in now....Oscar Rodriguez doing well also on the cheaper side of things.

Pages

Latest Comments