Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta 2019

Just had my first look at the route and details of the race.

Looks like there is a big change in the points competition this year. Some stage have 5 intermediate sprints, some have only one and a lot of the intermediate sprints are half way up a climb. There is one on the flat 2km from the start of a mountain stage.

I have no idea how points are going to be awarded, I can't find a copy of the rules anywhere but it looks like they are trying to create a more competitive competition, which can be won by sprinters, climbers, puncheurs or breakers. Dr Winston should like this.

Interestingly the most competitive rider is chosen by the public via social media.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

162 comments

Condor Andy replied to 11waterloo | 4 years ago
0 likes
11waterloo wrote:

Is the transfer window really closing at 11am tomorrow ? I only ask because the stage doesn’t begin until just before 6pm and that will leave me 6+ hours to fret over who in my team is going to stack it in the recon rides! 

That's the one outstanding thing I have left to do, sort out the deadlines. It will be about 15 mins before the first team sets off.

11waterloo replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:
11waterloo wrote:

Is the transfer window really closing at 11am tomorrow ? I only ask because the stage doesn’t begin until just before 6pm and that will leave me 6+ hours to fret over who in my team is going to stack it in the recon rides! 

That's the one outstanding thing I have left to do, sort out the deadlines. It will be about 15 mins before the first team sets off.

Cheers!

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy][quote=11waterloo wrote:

Jesper Hansen totally missing from riders list ?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Carapaz out of the Vuelta. 

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

A bit weird but Jesper Hansen from Cofidis is missing and doesn't even appear if you show all riders.

However he does appear on show all riders for the Autumn Classics.

archieboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Carapaz may not start following a training crash, decision in the morning.

0 likes

What is going on at Ineos ?

De la Cruz in Elissonde out for the Vuelta.

Slightly better for the Team Time Trial but less support on the climbs , imo.

I don't think either of them will be at Ineos next year.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
1 like

I read up in the rules that they're not awarding the points jersey for the TTT, and there are no climbs. So only the GC and youth jerseys are awarded. Safe money is on Jumbo to win it, maybe with someone random crossing first. Powless, Kuss, of Hofstede for youth (I think they're all eligible).

Also, Winston, Hart is there to learn from Poels. I would bet that Poels will finish higher up GC, but I'm not sure. When the big favourite teams are Movistar, Jumbo, and Astana, then anything Ineos pick up is a bonus.

carnesjf replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

You da man thanks

Condor Andy wrote:

I read up in the rules that they're not awarding the points jersey for the TTT, and there are no climbs. So only the GC and youth jerseys are awarded. Safe money is on Jumbo to win it, maybe with someone random crossing first. Powless, Kuss, of Hofstede for youth (I think they're all eligible).

Also, Winston, Hart is there to learn from Poels. I would bet that Poels will finish higher up GC, but I'm not sure. When the big favourite teams are Movistar, Jumbo, and Astana, then anything Ineos pick up is a bonus.

carnesjf | 4 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone remember how the jerseys are awarded for the ttt? The team with the best time gets 20 for each rider but with in that team does the first rider across the line get almost all the jerseys by default? Thanks!

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Good start for my team in defence of my win last year. Put Eddie Dunbar in who now appears to be greyed out and replaced by Wout Poels. 

Poels and Hart declared as joint leaders and sort it out as the race unfolds....this seems to be becoming a thing with Ineos now.

Good tactic or bad tactic?...thoughts.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

Good start for my team in defence of my win last year. Put Eddie Dunbar in who now appears to be greyed out and replaced by Wout Poels. 

Poels and Hart declared as joint leaders and sort it out as the race unfolds....this seems to be becoming a thing with Ineos now.

Do they have a choice ?

Poels could be a podium contender but could also be out of contention after the first GC stage.

So asking Poels to support TGH & vice versa makes no sense until they see how things go.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Do they have a choice ?

Poels could be a podium contender but could also be out of contention after the first GC stage.

So asking Poels to support TGH & vice versa makes no sense until they see how things go.

Ineos (SKY) have been very good at shielding one paticular rider over the years....to the point where it’s actually caused them problems within the  team (Froome and Wiggins for example).  Jumbo are running into similar territory as their team strengthens even more, and Movistar is well documented. 

My question wasn’t really about Ineos but the tactic of going into GT’s with a suck it and see team. 

Do you like that tactic or do you think a nominated leader is a better way to go?..I prefer the latter.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Ineos (SKY) have been very good at shielding one paticular rider over the years....to the point where it’s actually caused them problems within the  team (Froome and Wiggins for example).  Jumbo are running into similar territory as their team strengthens even more, and Movistar is well documented. 

My question wasn’t really about Ineos but the tactic of going into GT’s with a suck it and see team. 

Do you like that tactic or do you think a nominated leader is a better way to go?..I prefer the latter.

It depends on the situation.

If you have one rider who is clearly superior I think having a nominated leader is best, eg. Froome at Sky most years. In 2018 it wasn't clear how he would perform after winning the Giro so they went with 2 leaders which was a sensible solution.

What is most important is the members of the team understand and accept the team leadership.

I think the problem at Movistar is Quintana expecting to be leader when he hasn't shown that he is clearly superior to the other riders. At the Giro Carapaz & Landa worked well together, they were joint leaders but once Carapaz established a meaningful lead Landa accepted that unless anything extraordinary occurred he would have to play second fiddle.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

It depends on the situation.

If you have one rider who is clearly superior I think having a nominated leader is best, eg. Froome at Sky most years. In 2018 it wasn't clear how he would perform after winning the Giro so they went with 2 leaders which was a sensible solution.

What is most important is the members of the team understand and accept the team leadership.

I think the problem at Movistar is Quintana expecting to be leader when he hasn't shown that he is clearly superior to the other riders. At the Giro Carapaz & Landa worked well together, they were joint leaders but once Carapaz established a meaningful lead Landa accepted that unless anything extraordinary occurred he would have to play second fiddle.

I suppose a lot can depend upon the personalities involved as well.  Trying to get big egos to play a team game could be tricky....some riders on the other hand seem well grounded.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah. Game on.

Not sure who will be leading out Jumbo in the TTT. Will they have learnt not to offer up Roglic to the worlds press by putting him in the leaders jersey early on?....Surely Tony Martin or somebody will be leading over the line won’t they?....Same for team INS with Hart?

1 like

Opened everything now. Had to adjust the budget for the Spanish riders comp as there are only 35 of them and Valverde is the only expensive one.

jollygoodvelo replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Opened everything now. Had to adjust the budget for the Spanish riders comp as there are only 35 of them and Valverde is the only expensive one.

No repeat of the Giro where it was possible to pick the perfect team then?  3

Condor Andy replied to jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

Giro where it was possible to pick the perfect team then?  3

Ha! I reckon that will still be the case. I've just picked Valverde then 4 other hopefuls.

0 likes

All the line-ups announced now.

Roglic and Kruijswijck won't ever get a better chance to win a GT.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dumoulin has signed for them....crikey...

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dumoulin has signed for them....crikey...

De Plus is a very good prospect too, still only 23 and incredibly talented. He could prove to be the best of the lot.

0 likes

Movistar with Valverde, Carapaz, Soler & Quintana.

I imagine Soler will be working as a domestique, so just 3 leaders again.

Astana have Fugsang in their team, I imagine he is only there to help Lopez though.

0 likes

Weidly worded press release from them. It was sort of all in for Chaves GC, but also stage hunting. Mezgec looks good for the sprints.

Sunweb are all in for Kelderman GC and they're bringing Walscheid for the sprints.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Weidly worded press release from them. It was sort of all in for Chaves GC, but also stage hunting. Mezgec looks good for the sprints.

Sunweb are all in for Kelderman GC and they're bringing Walscheid for the sprints.

Yeah. Mezgec looks a shoe in to begin with. The whole race is heading more and more towards the lads from Jumbo before even a wheel has turned....no Yates brothers is just another reason for them to be happy.

0 likes

No Yates at the Vuelta either.

Mitchelton all in for Chaves but will probably end up with Nieve stage hunting.

0 likes

No Thomas for Ineos, he is doing Deutchland Tour

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

No Thomas for Ineos, he is doing Deutchland Tour

Another strong line up for the Deutschland tour...very strong. I seem to recall we talked about it last year as well.

0 likes

Martinez pulled out of the Tour of Utah before it started with a respiratory illness and fever. Not good preparation.

Roglic hasn't ridden a stage race since the Giro, and he's not down for anything in the lead up. Let's see what kind of form he's in.

Looking at the teams for the TTT, Quick Step don't have a GC rider; Jumbo and Ineos should be two of the best; EF should do really well, but who's their GC leader? I can't see anyone else doing that well.

So I'm inclined to agree, it's Jumbo's to lose.

0 likes

Roglic & Kruijswijk duo look strong & have good support. Bennett may even give them a 3rd option.

Since his crash in 2017 TdF Valverde hasn't been as strong in the mountains, Quintana will ride for himself, Carapaz will get less freedom than in the Giro.

EF have a strong team but Martinez is a bit of an unknown and Uran will probaby ride too defensively to win.

Lopez will lose time in both TTs, imo Astana need to do something crazy early and try and get Lopez in a situation where he can ride defensively rather than permanently chasing a miracle.

I don't think Ineos will have a team capable of controlling the race and they don't have Bernal to attack the others.

First GC win for Jumbo Visma.

Pages

Latest Comments