Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta 2019

Just had my first look at the route and details of the race.

Looks like there is a big change in the points competition this year. Some stage have 5 intermediate sprints, some have only one and a lot of the intermediate sprints are half way up a climb. There is one on the flat 2km from the start of a mountain stage.

I have no idea how points are going to be awarded, I can't find a copy of the rules anywhere but it looks like they are trying to create a more competitive competition, which can be won by sprinters, climbers, puncheurs or breakers. Dr Winston should like this.

Interestingly the most competitive rider is chosen by the public via social media.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

162 comments

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hard one to call. Altitude doesn't look like it'll be an issue like it was in the Tour, it's only stage 9 that goes over 2000m and that's just at the finish. Stage 5, 16, 18, and 20 also go fairly high, but not like Tour levels.

I think Valverde looks good. I would also say Simon Yates, but this will be his 3rd GT this year, so he might go for stages, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. What's Lopez going to do? He's had a pretty quiet year so far. And then there's the Jumbo duo of Kruijswijk and Roglic. Is Geoghegan Hart going to lead Ineos?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just looked at the stages...and agreed. Plenty of stages look hard to call...all the better for that.

That said....who do we fancy to do well and why?

0 likes

I think stage 8 looks the most likely to be the 'throw the jersey away' stage.

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

A lot of the possible sprint stages look difficult to control and could go to the break too, the second stage could be one for the break as  well.

I can see a non GC rider being in Red for quite a while.

After the TTT either Jumbo, Ineos or EF should be in the lead. None of them will be interested in keeping the jersey all the way through.

2 likes

In terms of our game, it might end up being super low scoring. I think the route is breakaway central; maybe 5 sprints max and tons of potential for breakaways. No ridiculous altitude, but 8 summit finishes.

How do we plan from the start with a TTT? Probably a reduced sprint on stage 2 and then 2 sprints. It's going to be super interesting. I'll set up the stages and what-not later this week.

jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think this year it could be a really open race.  Tom D and Froome missing still obviously, a few of the other big guns either not going or due to leave their current teams... what price a fourth first-time winner on the bounce?

MinardiM189 replied to jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

I think this year it could be a really open race.  Tom D and Froome missing still obviously, a few of the other big guns either not going or due to leave their current teams... what price a fourth first-time winner on the bounce?

Having a team time trial at the start could make it interesting, with certain riders needing to make up time from the start.

If Roglic is racing it will always be interestin becuase he can't stop himself attacking. although I fear his experience in the Giro may calm him down.

archieboy | 4 years ago
1 like

The roadbook is now available, just been looking at it on Velorooms.

0 likes

Are you looking at the official profiles? I'm actually having a hard time seeing any intermediate sprints. There are the climbs in blue and I think the grey circles indicate the start of each climb. Can't see a key anywhere though.

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Are you looking at the official profiles? I'm actually having a hard time seeing any intermediate sprints. There are the climbs in blue and I think the grey circles indicate the start of each climb. Can't see a key anywhere though.

Looks like I am talking crap. Mixing up GPM which represents  sprints in other races with the GP they are using for the start of the climbs.

0 likes

No combined jersey either, but a proper youth classification. Doesn't look like they've made the full roadbook available yet, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

We score these intermediate sprints as normal 6-4-2 usually. If it's true that there are up to 5 each stage then that might be overkill. I'll have a look when it's all finalised and see how they're officially awarding points.

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

No combined jersey either, but a proper youth classification. Doesn't look like they've made the full roadbook available yet, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

We score these intermediate sprints as normal 6-4-2 usually. If it's true that there are up to 5 each stage then that might be overkill. I'll have a look when it's all finalised and see how they're officially awarding points.

The flat stages only have one intermediate sprint and the mountain stages up to 5, looking at the stage profiles.

Pages

Latest Comments