Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Helmets - personal experience

So, I'm not about to proselytize or seek to convert people, this is what I experienced today: (disclosure:  I've always been a sort of fan of helmets though never a fanatic, today made me a firm believer though).

Returning home, gusts of wind, rain starting in earnest.  I took a roundabout that I've taken a thousand times before.  Only difference was that I'd forgotten that just last saturday I had installed a brand new set of Hutchinson sector 28 mm tyres, brilliant on dry pavement, murder on wet, especially when new.

I entered the roundabout (right hand side driving over here) at 32 kmph (about 20 mph I guess) and halfway through, felt the rear wheel slide from under me.  I hit the pavement on my left hip and elbow, then my head just 'bounced' on the tarmac.  Or rather, my Bontrager specter wavecell helmet did.  Picked myself  up almost immediately, saw the proverbial stars and felt a bit dizzy.  A police patrol that saw everything pulled over to ask if I needed medical assistance, which I declined.  Rode home (no real damage to the bike) at a much lower speed than before.

End result:

-  Bit of a headache

- 20 cm of road rash on my left hip (kudos to Assos:  not a nick on their Cento evo bib, under it my skin was virtually gone).  Spraying desinfectant on that was an interesting experience.   Guess I'll be black and blue tomorrow.

- Sore elbow

- Sore ribs

The helmet shows very little sign of impact on the exterior, just some dimples.  On the interior however, the wavecell structure cracked/deformed in the temporal region.  I guess that's what it's designed to do.  I'll have to get a new one but don't doubt for a second that without it I'd have been visiting the casualty ward, riding in a ambulance rather than on my bike.  So for me it's helmets all the way from now on.

For the doubting Thomases (I understand):  yes, I have pics but unfortunately I don't see how to upload them here.  If you can explain how I should do so I'll gladly post them.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments

• quiff 7 min 22 sec ago

I have some sympathy with your views on personal responsibility, but I think you're being too binary in this and your arguments in the other recent...

• peted76 11 min 10 sec ago

That's a really interesting algorithm. Surely it's completley flawed though, it's the point of 'power measurement' that it's instant and unrefined...

• BOOBOOJMOOJ 40 min 24 sec ago

I know that this is an old article but I find having a gigantic slab of garlic bread or similar carbs the day before the ride helps a lot, and...

• JMcWatt 1 hour 3 min ago

Seems excellent value to me, I purchased the Muc-Off X3 and while it does an excellent job it's more than double the price. 

• AlsoSomniloquism 1 hour 4 min ago

Nope, side mirror if we want to be technical and most commonly referred to as wing mirror by pretty much any mechanic or general person in the...

• Shake 1 hour 9 min ago

Of the official that was hit, BBC sport said "the race official struck in the incident suffered head and spinal injuries but was speaking when he...

• JMcWatt 1 hour 10 min ago

J-Bend spokes offer significatly less tolerance to straight pull, therefore the wheelset can never be as stiff, which of couse means a noticable...

• Awavey 1 hour 11 min ago

I'm sure they do exist, I just dispute they represent the real 'average' cyclist, because I dont believe they collect anywhere near enough data to...

• dave atkinson 1 hour 15 min ago

ok, this should be fixed now. at least in the sense that i've turned the ads off, so no need for a privacy popup :-)

• BOOBOOJMOOJ 1 hour 21 min ago

I don't think we're talking cross-purposes here. We appear to be in agreement that using aero bars is antisocial in residential areas (and what's...