Home

Anyone seen this story?

Quote:

According to the NYPD, an 18-year-old driver of a 2019 Dodge Charger, traveling southbound on Coney Island Avenue at around 12:30 p.m., collided with a 2018 Honda mini-van that was being driven eastbound on Avenue L.

“The collision caused the SUV to diagonally slide onto the southeast corner of the intersection, where it struck the bicyclist,” cops said in a statement.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/08/11/nineteen-another-cyclist-killed-in-brutal-coney-island-avenue/

WARNING - the dashcam video is really not fun.

6 comments

Avatar
hawkinspeter [4102 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

The U.S. seems to be completely dependent on motor vehicles and it seems that they're willing to sacrifice people (19?!) to their new god.

Maybe they'll blame the collision on the 18 year old playing GTA at some point - seems to be their modus operandi.

(Didn't watch the dashcam due to the warning)

Avatar
CygnusX1 [1198 posts] 2 months ago
1 like

Sweet FSM, that was horrific to see. Newtonian physics with tragic consequences. Hope the driver of the Dodge gets a proper sentence , though I suspect the NYPD will just ticket cyclists for not wearing helmets (No amount of PPE would have helped in this case).

Avatar
brooksby [5056 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

The U.S. seems to be completely dependent on motor vehicles and it seems that they're willing to sacrifice people (19?!) to their new god.

Maybe they'll blame the collision on the 18 year old playing GTA at some point - seems to be their modus operandi.

(Didn't watch the dashcam due to the warning)

Remember - that's 19 cyclists killed in one city, so far this year.

As a sacrifice, at this rate, they'll be able to raise Nyarlathotep Himself...

Avatar
hawkinspeter [4102 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
brooksby wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

The U.S. seems to be completely dependent on motor vehicles and it seems that they're willing to sacrifice people (19?!) to their new god.

Maybe they'll blame the collision on the 18 year old playing GTA at some point - seems to be their modus operandi.

(Didn't watch the dashcam due to the warning)

Remember - that's 19 cyclists killed in one city, so far this year.

As a sacrifice, at this rate, they'll be able to raise Nyarlathotep Himself...

Herself

 

Avatar
brooksby [5056 posts] 2 months ago
1 like
CygnusX1 wrote:

Sweet FSM, that was horrific to see. Newtonian physics with tragic consequences. Hope the driver of the Dodge gets a proper sentence , though I suspect the NYPD will just ticket cyclists for not wearing helmets (No amount of PPE would have helped in this case).

At the time of writing, the NYPD were apparently still deciding whether or not to even charge the driver of the Dodge 

 

Comments BTL on the streetsblog site have drawn attention to the number of tickets that the driver has acquired since getting the (brand new, 2019 edition) car and are also suggesting the driver might turn out to be an NYPD friend or relation (which basically grants you a complete and utter get out of jail free card).

Avatar
brooksby [5056 posts] 2 months ago
1 like
Quote:

Mirza Baig, 18, is one of the few killer drivers who is facing prison, thanks to charges that include manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, vehicular assault and reckless endangerment stemming from the Aug. 11 crash when Baig flew down the speedway boulevard and ran a red light at Avenue L, T-boning a minivan that slammed into Alzorriz as the cyclist waited at a red light, cops said.

Under pressure from local politicians and activists — including Mayor de Blasio — the NYPD threw the full summons book at Baig, adding charges for assault, reckless driving, disobeying a traffic device, and speeding. Cops even added in two charges rarely seen in crashes: criminal solicitation and criminal facilitation — an allegation that suggests Baig, of Queens, asked someone to lie on his behalf.

So the NYPD actually charged the driver on this one.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/08/21/breaking-driver-arrested-for-killing-cyclist-on-coney-island-avenue/