10kg rigid or semi-rigid bike box for carbon disc brake road bicycle for air travel?

Hi.

I am really going crazy now, I need to take my bicycle with me on a plane.

I think bike bags and boxes are ridiculously overpriced, but then so is shipping a bike oveland or getting a new bike everywhere you fly.

Price aside, I still have not found a box or bag that would reasonably protect my bike and stay within 23kg luggage limit (box + bicycle - 8kg + accessories)

Does such a box exist?

Everything I checked wouldn't fit a thru-axle, or would not protect the discs on the wheels or the handle bars...

Ideally I'd like a solution with the least amount of disassembly or at least the least amount of tools.

Ideally, I would rather not remove the rear derailleur - I was told that they are not meant to be removed regularly and that can damage the thread in the frame. Is that correct?

Have I missed a bag under £400 that would tick all the boxes or you know at least do what it's supposed to do i.e. protect my bicycle against airline standard treatment?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments