Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Inner tube recommendations?

Surprisingly few reviews on inner tubesonline.  So what are people's recommendations for inner tubes for a 700x28 setup? I mainly do sportives so durability over weight savings would be my choice.  I have some Slimelite ones, but saw loads of bad reviews of them so looking for an alternative.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I use tyre liners. I punctured a tube in 1 spot yet pulled 3 or 4 4-5 mm thorns out.
Some tubes suck but I can't remember the tubes used. Basically I aim purchase at name brands and they tend to hold. It's been a year or more since a puncture. I like 28s during dry. Also going as slim as 23 and as wide as 38.
If not skimping on weight, the tyre liners seem to work. The tyres work until inner weave becomes tread yet my mate doesn't use liners and his tyres chunk the same.
We often share tubes.. We use same want of brand name tubes. They tend to fit and hold.

Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe SV15 or Michelin Airstop for me. I've used others and they are fine but the above two brands seem to have the most reliable construction, particularly around the valve base.

If your wheels have deeper rims then the lightweight Schwalbe SV20 (65g) comes in 60mm and 80mm valve lengths. Michelin also have a XL valve Airstop.

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have always had a great time with latex tubes for my 26x2 tyres, Air-B then Michelin, you have to take care of them a bit, talc when instaling, and for the spare, then wrap in tissue paper and then plastic bag and try and protect from the light.  But I would do this for any tubes, more important for latex.  I have not found them to be too delicate, thay are lighter and the rolling resistance is meant to be lower.  It is claimed they have some more puncture resistance than butyl tubes, don't know about that, but when you do need to fix them you can use a sharpie to mark out your work.

mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

I buy decent tubes, usually from Schwalbe, not because they fight off more punctures but because they don't suffer design/manufacturing defects.  There's nothing more frustrating than fitting a new tube only to have the valve pull off with the pump head.  Or to find that the valve stem is bent and never completely seals.

Often you can find good deals, five for the price of three and suchlike.  Best of luck.

srchar | 4 years ago
5 likes

I must confess to never having reviewed any of my previous inner tube purchases.  However, I'll review all of them here:

5 stars. I put it inside the tyre and pumped it up. It stayed pumped up until something sharp penetrated it.

You're welcome.

Recommendations? The cheapest one that is the right size. I bought ten Planet X ones for a fiver about ten years ago and still have loads left.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Schwalbe or Continental. For further sportive puncture protection add 70mil of Orange endurance sealant through the valve-once removed. This will make tyres very immune to thorn and flint punctures.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Michelin Airstops. Big positive is that the cores aren't removable, meaning that you won't accidentally unscrew them after changing a puncture in the pouring rain on a wet December Tuesday night miles from anywhere.

Depending on your rim/tyre combination you might be better going with a 25mm max tube in a 28 - takes up less space and makes it easier to get certain tyres on the rims. I've got 25mms in my 28mm Bontrager R3's - no issues so far.

Latest Comments