Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tips for riding in sand?

I encounter very fine-grained soft, dense sand quite a bit in the New Forest. Tend to steer clear of it if I can as I've had a few tumbles. Any tips for riding across it? Road bike, 40mm tyres (WTB Nano knobblies), heavy rider.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
2 likes

Having the right equipment is paramount.

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
2 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Having the right equipment is paramount.

Is that a Camelbak?

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, good thread.

All about looking ahead and planning routes, and expecting to fall off. And the transition in riding style from onroad to offroad. 

Might consider going tubeless but that's quite a big outlay - new rims and tyres needed.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
1 like

Don't go against the grain.

Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

Think light thoughts.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Before moving to another region I used to ride along a seafront promenade that's mostly smooth pavement but often has sand blown over it in spots.  Very treacherous.  The only things that work are what was already mentioned:  broad tyres at low pressure, make the center of gravity as low as possible and put weight on the rear wheel + no steering inputs and loose on the handlebars.  Take a leap of faith, go fast, if you slow down you'll dig in and it's game over.  Question is, can you live with the compromises of such a setup?  It works on the sandy patches but will bring no joy in terms of efficiency if 90% of your commute is on good tarmac.  With my 28 mm tyres nowadays, on the rare occasions where I see this type of sand carpet extending for more than a few feet, I dismount.

headingley | 4 years ago
0 likes

...tip : don't.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
4 likes

To be honest, sand has always been top of my bucket list

Dicklexic | 4 years ago
1 like

My regular commute includes a tarmac costal path that frequently has sand blown onto it from the beach adjacent to it, and I also ride now and then in Pembrey country park (including the odd CX and beach race) that that has very sandy 'soil' with lots of the trails being very sandy. My main tip is basically the same as L3gion above, and that is get as much of your weight over the back wheel as possible. That coupled with FULL POWER and keeping as straight as possible are the main things to focus on. Look ahead so that you can control your speed before hand, avoid braking on loose sand, and be subtle with your steering inputs. If you do need to turn on sand, be aware that you can easily find your front wheel turns tighter than anticipated and tends to tuck under you, especially if the sand is soft and deep. The worst one for me is a thin layer of sand on the tarmac path, as is acts like tiny ball bearings meaning very limited grip.

Pyro Tim | 4 years ago
1 like

My advise would be to not ride in sand. Which rules out the New Forest, no great shame there. Flat and boring, and full of drivers that want to kill you.

Unfortunately it also means the Purbecks are mostly out too. Much more fun and interesting

If you absolutely have to ride in the sand, straight lines, minimal steering etc. But you will still probably fall off, so walk.

God I hate the new forest

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks all. Yep, front-end washout is the main issue. And gorse is an unpleasant place to land.

I can deal with the back end being (dare I say it) squirrelly but it feels like any steering input will just cause the front end to tuck. 

Seems like looking ahead and planning the right line to take is the key, as I'm as wide as I can go on the tyres and don't fancy running low pressures as most of the riding is road and compact gravel.

L3gion replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Thanks all. Yep, front-end washout is the main issue. And gorse is an unpleasant place to land.

I can deal with the back end being (dare I say it) squirrelly but it feels like any steering input will just cause the front end to tuck. 

Seems like looking ahead and planning the right line to take is the key, as I'm as wide as I can go on the tyres and don't fancy running low pressures as most of the riding is road and compact gravel.

Short of getting a fatbike, this sounds like as much as you can do really. I'm not sure if you are running tubeless or not, but it's surprising how low you can go on the pressures and still get a reasonable ride on the road. That might be the only remaining option that helps.

9 likes

Another handy tip, avoid the areas marked as "quick-sand" - they're not any faster.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
2 likes

Walk

Miller | 4 years ago
0 likes

Riding in loose sand is very difficult, it bogs you down instantly. Large volume with low pressure would be needed. Schwalbe do a 60mm wide G-One Speed explicitly for beach racing but that's niche.

L3gion | 4 years ago
1 like

As well as the obvious combo of tyres/pressures...something I do is try to keep my weight off the front end as I transition into patches of sand. Anything that overloads the limited grip on the front tyre can have you off easily if the front starts to wash out. The more I encourage the front to skim the surface the better, as handling rear wheel sliding/loss of traction is much easier and tends not to throw me off the bike or cause me to need to bail.

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dropping tyre pressure is your best bet.

And going down many gears.

And riding slowly.

4 likes

I think it depends on whether the sand is wet or not. At Weston-super-Mare, the sand on the 'beach' is nearly always wet and it can support a lot of weight - it never gives in to pier pressure.

Latest Comments