Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Heart rate gps

I know from past experience that if you have an led front light blinking on you bars along with a heart rate monitor that the monitor will go up the wall. While out and about cycling with a heart rate monitor only, Polar or Garmin, I get spikes that are unexplaind, sudden numbers of 232/226, then a return to normal. I know overhead mains can do this. Is it possible that cars with powerful led headlights, switched on at all times, along with the latest electronic engine management systems can also cause these spikes? A couple of times at home while on and off the turbo trainer interference is also experienced, get this, even when I have no chest transmitter on. I once contacted Polar about this phenomena but they could offer no explanation as to how or why. Any one know of a monitor that is 100%  interference free? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

jaysa | 4 years ago
0 likes

If this is Atrial Fibrillation, you are putting yourself at risk riding a bike without it being identified and treated, so please go and see a doctor to get it ruled out or confirmed. AF can be symptom-free

If you must ride in the meantime, what happens if you wear a chest strap and use no lights? If you're still getting occasional high heart rate reported on an HRM, I really don't believe this is caused by car headlights.  230 is highly unlikely as an actual HR unless you are under 25 and really pushing.

I've never experienced such interference in years of running and riding with Polar, Sigma and Garmin. The closest is irregular readings during max HR tests which I put down to chest movement - but that was occasional beats missed by the HRM, not extra beats.

jacknorell | 4 years ago
1 like

Never seen this using my Wahoo Tickr strap or wristworn Garmin forerunner.

NickK123 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Another vote to go and speak to your GP.  Had high readings just before Ride London 2 years ago and it was AF.  Again, several procedures later, symptoms gone.  Hence, have high confidence in Garmin strap and 520+. 

MattsVoice replied to NickK123 | 4 years ago
1 like

NickK123 wrote:

Another vote to go and speak to your GP.  Had high readings just before Ride London 2 years ago and it was AF.  Again, several procedures later, symptoms gone.  Hence, have high confidence in Garmin strap and 520+. 

Are the AF spikes accompanied by any other symptoms?  For me it's only when I download the data that I notice.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
1 like

It’s certainly possible it could be electrical interference, but if it’s happening regularly and with two types of monitor, I would take the above advice and get checked out by the docs in case it is AF.

It could be a poor electrical contact with the skin, so try some of this on the electrodes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonogel-GELE100-Electrode-Gel/dp/B00BZ4SMOQ

antonio replied to HoarseMann | 4 years ago
1 like

It’s certainly possible it could be electrical interference, but if it’s happening regularly and with two types of monitor, I would take the above advice and get checked out by the docs in case it is AF. It could be a poor electrical contact with the skin, so try some of this on the electrodes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonogel-GELE100-Electrode-Gel/dp/B00BZ4SMOQ[/quote

Hi, being a hr monitor nut I was definitely worried at one stage, however when four different monitors,all athe same time, were going berserk and I wasn't even wearing my chest strap. All were registering the same numbers, 225 / 235. odd I know, hence my query. Thanks to those commenting.

JohnMiosh | 4 years ago
2 likes

I had sudden unexplained spikes of this level and blamed the monitor for a couple of years.  After a while, when it worsened,  I discovered that it was a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation.  After two heart ops and two years of taking it steady, I am back to normal.  

watlina | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm normally riding 10+ hours a week and always wear a Garmin strap. Generally the only time I get odd spikes is when it gets too dry to contact the skin properly. I normally put a little bit of spit on the two pads as I put it on just to make a good contact. Once I work up a sweat its fine unless it’s a very dry cold day then it can give big spikes as it loses contact.

The only other time it went haywire was when the strap was giving up. If you think it might be the strap don’t bother with a new Garmin one, just get one from Amazon for £7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WLMMG7S

MattsVoice | 4 years ago
0 likes

I get the same issue when running. I believe that it is because the strap itself becomes saturated and starts to slip slightly causing a double reading. Try either tightening the strap or moving it up or down slightly.

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

A watch that measures heart rate on the wrist (with a "laser") shouldn't suffer from electrical interference, so you could look at getting one of those.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, I don't know.  Never experienced this with my Garmin chest strap sending data to an Edge 1030 while riding with my light set on either pulse or fixed + pulse.  But I'm not familiar with the technology used and if it is theoretically sensitive to this type of interference.

Latest Comments