Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X Pro Carbon Evo - Thru Axles

When I attempted to remove the wheels of my brand new Planet X Pro Carbon Evo (to fit new Hunt wheels) I managed to strip the hexagonal profile of the thru axles, and I had to go to my local bike repair shop to get the wheels removed.  Customer support from Planet X was very poor and slow but eventually they sent replacement axles.  However, even on the replacement axles the depth of the hexaganol thread is only about 2-3mm - so this seems like a design flaw and I'm reluctant to fit them in case I strip the head again.  I've looked for replacement axles (preferrably with handles) but I can't find the correct size.  And I don't understand the difference between the adverstised size (front 100, rear 142) and that printed on the parts (front 120mm, rear 169mm).  Also, I don't know what torque to apply - I'm paranoid about the thread unwinding and the wheel detaching!  Can anyone help, primarily with sourcing replacement thru axles.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSPXPCEDTA/planet-x-pro-carbon-evo-disc-th...

Front: 120mm (100mm) x M12*P1.5*L14

Rear: 169mm (142mm) x M12*P1.5*L14

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

dooderooni | 4 years ago
0 likes

The sizes seem to be shown on the Planet X axles spares page as 120mm (and 169mm) X M12 X P1.5 X L14.

If you Google those dimensions it'll take you to an SJS Cycles page where they're sell Robert Project Axles. At the foot of that page there's a downloadable axle finder that might help.

Link

broadpeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

Garnett, I’ve had the bike for 3 months but not been a able to ride it as I’ recovering from injury.  I like what I see through... disc brakes, nice styling etc.  However, the Planet X after support has been abysmal... you can only make contact via live chat between 9am-4pm weekdays, on several occasions I waited for an hour before I was automatically timed-out!  And when I did get through, they simply didn’t answer my questions.  Also, the thru axle alloys are like butter (the hexangle heads are very sensitive with an Allen key) and they are a non standard size.  This is a real downside since they are considered part of the bike frame (not wheels).  On the upside the bike is significantly cheaper spec for spec than the competition - but it is a gamble given the poor aftermarket support.  I’ve have another Planet X cyclocross which I’ve been happy with, and I generally have good brand loyalty - next time though I would go elsewhere.  Sad situation.

Garnett | 4 years ago
0 likes

Can't offer help, but interested to hear any more about your experience - you've gone for exactly what I'm considering...

R8000 Pro Carbon Evo Disc, with Hunt 4 Seasons

I'd love to hear your review.

broadpeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Drinfinity, any advice on how to source the correct size of thru axles?  I can't find them anywhere (and my local bike repair shop hasn't been able to help either).  

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Front 100 is 100mm across the end caps of the hub, and the axle is 120mm long. Same at the back - 142 mm across the hub (and the same between the dropouts) , but the axle is longer, 169 mm. 

Grease the thread. Get a nice expensive Allen key that fits properly, and check the recommended torque - it’s not a truck wheelnut. Typically 10Nm is enough.

M12 is the thread diameter, P 1.5 is the pitch of the thread, L 14 is the length of the thread.

Latest Comments