Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc rotor lockring question

Centrelock disc rotors, on hunt wheels, 12mm thu axles...

When I tighten up the lockring on the rear rotor (to 40NM as I normally do) the wheel starts to drag a little, even when not fitted to the bike and just spinning the hub. As soon as I loosen off the locking it moves smoothly again.

I'm confused - any thoughts please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

You need to check the lockring isnt pressing against the bearing face when tight. 

It could be the lockring needs slightly filing down in thread length or a different make of lockring.  It might on need 1mm or less to stop the drag on wheel rotation- never experienced this myself.

L3gion replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

You need to check the lockring isnt pressing against the bearing face when tight. 

It could be the lockring needs slightly filing down in thread length or a different make of lockring.  It might on need 1mm or less to stop the drag on wheel rotation- never experienced this myself.

Thanks for the advice. I've had a discussion with Hunt now, and it looks like my wheel is accidentally missing a red washer thats some sort of spacer fitted between the freehub and the shell.

It would make some sense that if this is missing, then the force generated by fitting the lockring might be putting a little bit of compresive force where it shouldn't.

The red washer is on its way, along with a replacement lockring (just in case). I'll update this when I've sorted it...

VonPinkhoffen | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tighten the rotor, then adjust your caliper alignment by loosening the bolts and either use spacers on the rotor or (my favoured method) an elastic band on the brake lever to align the calipers to the rotor. 

L3gion replied to VonPinkhoffen | 4 years ago
0 likes

VonPinkhoffen wrote:

Tighten the rotor, then adjust your caliper alignment by loosening the bolts and either use spacers on the rotor or (my favoured method) an elastic band on the brake lever to align the calipers to the rotor. 

Unfortuantely as I said, it was doing it when not fitted to the bike. Although the rotors didn't appear to be rubbing, I re-aligned them anyway using a birzman clam. So that wasn't it.

In the end I seem to have fixed it by swapping the rotor lockring for an identical one off my other set of wheels.

No idea why that is...

Latest Comments