Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Now it's architects having a go at cyclists

I know the golden rule is, never read below the line, but this pathetic piece by Gillian Darley has brought out a host of the usual comments from Building Design's architect readers...

https://www.bdonline.co.uk/comment/maybe-we-could-teach-scandinavians-ab...

Free registration needed to comment. Good luck!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
1 like

She’s used to cycle paths in the UK, where peds bimbling around is par for the course. It’s the cyclist that has to keep their wits about them.

Cycling in Denmark is a ‘proper’ form of transport. Walking in a bike path is akin to taking a stroll in the middle of a motorway in the UK.

maviczap | 4 years ago
3 likes

I've been to Copenhagen, I never had any issues with bicycles on pavements, all were using the lovely cycle paths or lanes.

P3t3 | 4 years ago
2 likes

Yet as someone that designs living spaces she didn't notice how quiet CPH is with so little vehicle noise.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

As far as I can tell, Copenhagen works by keeping peds, cyclists and motorised traffic segregated. As long as you don't wander onto the bike lanes, then you'll be fine. I have noticed that most cyclists are using phones whilst cycling as well.

MattieKempy | 4 years ago
1 like

I reckon there are two things to be said here.

Firstly, since a number of pedestrians are drivers, they should just take a moment to consider that the vulnerability they feel around streams of cyclists is the same as cyclists feel when being bullied by drivers on  busy roads and that said pedestrians should apply this feeling to their driving.

Secondly, as cyclists, we need to consider that we feel vulnerable around cars so maybe when we're the ones travelling fast on vehicles, we ought to apply a little more of the same consideration we rightly expect of drivers.

No-one and nowhere is perfect, but we can all be a bit better!

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
4 likes

I'm currently on holiday in sunny Copenhagen (well, sunny this morning) and we hired a couple of bikes yesterday to get around after spending a few days as pedestrians.

I found it quite easy and safe to navigate on foot, though you do need to keep an eye out for the cycle lanes and you have to obey the traffic lights whilst crossing roads. Getting off buses is strange though as you'll be exiting onto a cycle path, though cyclists know this and will give way to pedestrians. I felt more at risk whilst cycling as I'm not used to their system for turning left (go straight over the junction, then turn and wait until you can carry on). Also, you need to keep to the right to allow other cyclists to overtake (we were going quite slow), so any drifting leftwards could cause a collision.

Overall, the traffic seems very calm and civilised compared to England - cars will give way to cyclists and peds and I didn't see any near misses. (I did almost have some old codger cycle into me in a pedestrianised shopping street, but he was travelling slowly and stopped before I even saw him - he wouldn't have had priority there).

We cycled over the Inderhavnsbroen bridge and it didn't strike me as poorly designed at the time, though looking back, it did have a couple of pinch points where the turns are. The recently consumed cider may have dulled my critique somewhat though.

Philh68 | 4 years ago
1 like

An architect designed Copenhagen’s  Inderhavnsbroen, which kind of destroys what little remaining credibility architects have when it comes to cycling (who thinks it’s a good idea to put four turns on a cycle bridge, only an architect).

Darley is asking the wrong question, it’s not what this place I’m visiting is doing wrong, but what am I doing wrong that I can’t fit in. Seriously, if visually impaired Danes can navigate the city, what’s her excuse?

HarryTrauts | 4 years ago
5 likes

She sounds like a confused tourist who expects everywhere to be like home.  I've spent time in Copenhagen and you have to respect cyclists.  That's just the way it is.  Locals accept this because most of them cycle.  Sounds good to me.

Kendalred replied to HarryTrauts | 4 years ago
3 likes

harragan wrote:

She sounds like a confused tourist who expects everywhere to be like home.  I've spent time in Copenhagen and you have to respect cyclists.  That's just the way it is.  Locals accept this because most of them cycle.  Sounds good to me.

Exactly. She should try walking through central Paris in the daytime. I was there for the end of the TdF and it's chaos! Hundreds of those electric scooters zipping around, and thousads on bikes - but it just seems to work because you walk around with your wits engaged. After a while it becomes second nature, as I suspect it is in Copenhagen as well.

growingvegtables | 4 years ago
4 likes

About as worth reading as my comments on building design and architecture?

Correction - my apologies; Darley's not apparently an actual, real-life, architect, but a "pontificator" on "real architects", a "paid-by-word-spouter"?  Aka, just another journalist ... who happens to know a bit about buildings in Essex, and f***-all about cycling.

Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

I am an architect, they call me a butcher. I am a pioneer, they call me primitive.

Kendalred replied to Organon | 4 years ago
1 like

Organon wrote:

I am an architect, they call me a butcher. I am a pioneer, they call me primitive.

Are you also stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer?

Organon replied to Kendalred | 4 years ago
0 likes

Kendalred wrote:

Organon wrote:

Are you also stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer?

I spat out Plath and Pinter.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Not quite, but such is the cost imposed it had to be set up by the industry.

And the cyclist was not breaking the law by riding with no insurance.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

To answer the comment that questions if drivers have crowdfunded for reckless drivers, yes they do, because so many are illegally driving without insurance, all those purchasing motor insurance pay towards a fund to give towards those injured by the uninsured.

Sriracha replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like
ktache wrote:

To answer the comment that questions if drivers have crowdfunded for reckless drivers, yes they do, bacause so many are illegally driving without insurance, all those purchasing motor insurance pay towards a fund to give towards those injured by the uninsured.

That's not quite the same, is it?

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
2 likes

Meh. I spent a couple of days in Copenhagen with my family on holiday a couple of years ago. None of us died.

dobbo996 replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
3 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

Meh. I spent a couple of days in Copenhagen with my family on holiday a couple of years ago. None of us died.

Quite so. I went there with Mrs Dobbo several years' back. Stayed for four days and walked around most of the city. Not once did I feel threatened by anyone on a bicycle. We saw no bicycles on pavements, except those parked up. The only 'incidents' I saw, and they were few, were caused by obvious tourists stepping into and walking on the bike lanes withouth looking first. This is equivalent to walking down the middle of a busy urban road during rush hour. Cue a cacophony of bells and much indignation and stick waving from said tourists.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
2 likes

Well, those are people's perceptions. Obviously there will be confirmation bias, we're all susceptible. But I don't think you can just write them off as "pathetic". The first step in dealing with the issues has to be to acknowledge the validity of people's experience and perceptions of each other.

Latest Comments