Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless won’t stay on rim

I have Contintal GP5000 tubeless tyres on DT Swiss tubeless rims. Once installed with my DIY Coca-Cola bottle tubeless inflator they stay inflated and seal on the rim well. My problem is if I deflate the tyre the bead instantly pops off rim meaning a faff to re-seat. Do I have a problem?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I use a CO2 inflator to pump tyre back up temporarily. Tubeless is snug on the rim but once your technique for removal is mastered its no different to a tubed tyre.

Ive only ever used two tubes in my tubeless tyres due to 1cm cuts. Looking at my tyres I regularly see 4 or 5 pin hole leaks which have self sealed.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
2 likes

I must have jumped on the tubeless train at the right point.

I have some mavics which I can almost fit the tyre on by hand. I can inflate with a track pump and easily top up with a hand pump. I don't need special glue or tape for the side rim.

I have bought a dynaplug micro pro which is a thing of beauty (which I have used once).

I'm quite happy.

mike the bike replied to Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

I must have jumped on the tubeless train at the right point.

I have some mavics which I can almost fit the tyre on by hand. I can inflate with a track pump and easily top up with a hand pump. I don't need special glue or tape for the side rim.

I have bought a dynaplug micro pro which is a thing of beauty (which I have used once).

I'm quite happy.

And I wish you well, and also everybody who has embraced tubeless technology for it is probably the future.  But I am an avid reader of cycling magazines and their reviews and there have been far too many problems with tubeless for me to risk it just yet.

Tales of tyre levers broken in the battle to remove or fit a tyre do not encourage a longish-distance rider like me to take the plunge.  Being unable to inflate a flat tyre with my mini-pump is my idea of hell.  There's a recent (GCN?) video on YouTube of an experienced presenter/rider who uses every trick in his extensive book but still can't get his new tyre to hold pressure.

Now, if you are never more than a few miles from help or can summon assistance on one of those wireless phones, you may be prepared to take a chance.  But that's not my sort of cycling and that's why I'm sticking to what always works. 

Best of luck.

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

It may be worth trying an automotive tyre bead sealer during installation.

https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/products/tyre-bead-sealer-1-ltr?varia...

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Mike, a couple of weeks ago I was doing a 25 mile off road loop around Henley, on my new bike, it's hedge trimming time,  I was pulling out multiple thorns and even a small twig.  All sealed quickly.  Checked and more thorns the next day.  One huge one that took a couple of minutes to seal and I was even looking forward to shoving in one of those anchovy things in there.  Now normally I would take out 2 spare tubes on my older bikes, and my mini track pump, so it would have been a disapointing session of pumping and fixing several tubes.  With a curtailed fun day out, and much less grinning and smugness.  I'm sold, though I will not get my other bikes converted.

Orange Endurance Seal I think, 4-6 months and still sealing.  Stuck in a top up squirt the other day.

And I'm playing with quite low pressures, so would have probably snake bited a few times by now.

mike the bike replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

Mike, a couple of weeks ago I was doing a 25 mile off road loop around Henley, on my new bike, it's hedge trimming time,  I was pulling out multiple thorns and even a small twig.  All sealed quickly.  Checked and more thorns the next day.  One huge one that took a couple of minutes to seal and I was even looking forward to shoving in one of those anchovy things in there.  Now normally I would take out 2 spare tubes on my older bikes, and my mini track pump, so it would have been a disapointing session of pumping and fixing several tubes.  With a curtailed fun day out, and much less grinning and smugness.  I'm sold, though I will not get my other bikes converted.

Orange Endurance Seal I think, 4-6 months and still sealing.  Stuck in a top up squirt the other day.

And I'm playing with quite low pressures, so would have probably snake bited a few times by now.

I know, I know,  I'm out of step with tubeless.  Of course it has advantages, otherwise it would have sunk without trace, which it clearly hasn't.

But I ride six days a week, something like 4000 miles a year, over the same roads as everyone else.  My local hedges get trimmed just like yours.  My rain sweeps volumes of flints onto my roads too.  And my broken glass is as sharp as yours.  And yet, running on my high-quality tubed tyres, I'm averaging a flat a year.  (Although to be fair I'm up to two so far this year.)  And I've never, in sixty years biking, had a snake-bite puncture; a most overrated problem if you ask me.

You see, the thing I like most about cycling is its simplicity.  I don't have a bike-computer, no GPS, no cameras, no electric gears, no ANT, no bluetooth, no hassle.  Just a bike and nothing but the basics.  I can, and do, take off for a few days at an hour's notice.  I might end up in France or maybe  I won't.  But wherever it is I can fix 90% of problems whilst sitting on the grass verge, using my motley collection of old tools.  

How would I inflate a problem tubeless tyre under these conditions? What if my gloop had dried out?  How would I refit a tight tubeless tyre after slipping a tube into it?  What if my valves were bunged up with gloop?  The list of potential troubles is too long for my specific needs, the current systems are too fiddly and too uncertain.  Like most ex-military men I plan for the 'least worst' outcome.  And tubes give me just that; the worst I can expect is to fit a new tube in about ten minutes.  Tubeless opens up a whole new world of pain however, the worst I might expect would be a flat tyre I can't inflate or even squeeze a tube into.  

No sir, until they come up with tubeless technology fit for a simpleton like me, I'll keep it simple.

hawkinspeter replied to mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

ktache wrote:

I know, I know,  I'm out of step with tubeless.  Of course it has advantages, otherwise it would have sunk without trace, which it clearly hasn't.

But I ride six days a week, something like 4000 miles a year, over the same roads as everyone else.  My local hedges get trimmed just like yours.  My rain sweeps volumes of flints onto my roads too.  And my broken glass is as sharp as yours.  And yet, running on my high-quality tubed tyres, I'm averaging a flat a year.  (Although to be fair I'm up to two so far this year.)  And I've never, in sixty years biking, had a snake-bite puncture; a most overrated problem if you ask me.

You see, the thing I like most about cycling is its simplicity.  I don't have a bike-computer, no GPS, no cameras, no electric gears, no ANT, no bluetooth, no hassle.  Just a bike and nothing but the basics.  I can, and do, take off for a few days at an hour's notice.  I might end up in France or maybe  I won't.  But wherever it is I can fix 90% of problems whilst sitting on the grass verge, using my motley collection of old tools.  

How would I inflate a problem tubeless tyre under these conditions? What if my gloop had dried out?  How would I refit a tight tubeless tyre after slipping a tube into it?  What if my valves were bunged up with gloop?  The list of potential troubles is too long for my specific needs, the current systems are too fiddly and too uncertain.  Like most ex-military men I plan for the 'least worst' outcome.  And tubes give me just that; the worst I can expect is to fit a new tube in about ten minutes.  Tubeless opens up a whole new world of pain however, the worst I might expect would be a flat tyre I can't inflate or even squeeze a tube into.  

No sir, until they come up with tubeless technology fit for a simpleton like me, I'll keep it simple.

I'm not trying to convert you as you seem happy enough with keeping it nice and simple. However, some of those issues aren't very likely. If tubeless fails (e.g. a cut more than 5mm in the tyre will probably be too big for the sealant), then putting in an inner tube is the fallback option. Tightness fitting the tyres onto the rim could be an issue, but it depends on the precise combination of tyre and tube and you can have the same issue with non-tubeless. My experience is that tubeless tyres aren't too much hassle to get on and off the rim - I've had more trouble with getting them to 'ping' into place after they're on the rim (usually problems with the rim tape being damaged).

If you need to fit an inner tube, then you'll be removing the tubeless valve anyway, so even if it is gunked up, it won't be a factor. Also, when inflating the tube, it'll push the tyre into place so there won't be the issue of trying to reseat the tyre with air pressure alone).

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Follow what Jim says above, he's got it right, apart from the two loud bangs, that doesn't always happen or need to happen, In my experience, it happens maybe 75-80% of the time. Over inflate them to seat the beads. Also I use about 30ml sealant on 23/25mm tyres and check the level now and again.

FWIW I had a 'wonderful' and unexpected tubeless experience with some DTSwiss wheels and schwable tyres the other day.. they went on easily (nice!) I didn't use a tyre lever for one, inflated with a track pump first time. It was (tu)bliss! (no bangs on either wheel, a perfect fitting)

Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
2 likes

3 turns of tape, inflate dry with a compressor so it seats with 2 loud bangs. Remove the valve core, put 50ml of sealant in. Reinflate, then waggle the wheel and rotate all over the place to distribute the sealant. If you have done all that then you have done it right. If you didnt hear the loud cracks when it seated you may have a problem or you didnt put enough pressure in.

Miller | 4 years ago
0 likes

This suggests that the 'shelf' on the rim bed that the tubeless bead sits upon is not pronounced enough with your DT Swiss wheels, allowing the tyre bead to slide off when the tyre deflates. I have the same thing with a different pair of wheels. Leaving the tyre on for a longer period may allow the sealant to stick it to the rim as suggested above.

Tubeless is still evolving.

mike the bike replied to Miller | 4 years ago
1 like

Miller wrote:

Tubeless is still evolving.  

Let me know when it is ready for a fan of the simple life, I may then buy some.

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

No, you don't have a problem.

MTB Refugee | 4 years ago
0 likes

My Schwalbe G-ONE Speed 30C tubeless tyres on DT Swiss tubeless rims do the exact same thing, bead pops off the rim and sits in the centre. I only deflate the tires once every 3 months to check and top-up the sealant if necessary, so not a big deal for me.

Reseating after the first time can be extremely difficult however. The rim tape will have deformed into the offset spoke holes in the inside of the rim making reinflation very difficult. There is no way that I can do it with a standard track pump. I've added extra layers of Stans rim tape to help with this problem.

Otherwise, both the tyres and wheels are excellent.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Have you put any sealant in? 70 mil of Orange endurance. Once inflated rotate wheel in all directions this will coat all points and the sealant will soft stick the tyre to the rim by the next day

Also do you pump tyre up till you hear two pops when bead locks into rim?

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Why do you need to deflate your tyres? Could you just leave the same air in and not worry about it?

You can put an extra layer of tubeless rim rape on which has the effect of increasing the diameter of the bead, and might encourage them to seat more securely. But given they are already seating fine, just leave them pumped up.

Latest Comments