Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Postgrad student considering commute - Amsterdam to Bristol (BBC)

Words fail me... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-49773971

Quote:

A postgraduate student is considering flying to Bristol from Amsterdam every week for his course after failing to find housing for the past six weeks.

Sohail Braakman said this was an "extreme case which sounds crazy" but was cheaper than renting in Bristol.

Budget flights from Amsterdam can be as low as £20 for a one-way flight.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

brooksby | 4 years ago
1 like

The Bristol Post today reports that after his story went viral, Bristol University has offered him a room in a £890-per-month (!!!) student accommodation.

I'm sorry, but are the rooms floored in gold or something?  In my day... no

jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
3 likes

There are currently 71 adverts on Rightmove for places to rent under £600pcm within 3 miles of Bristol (chosen as it's *half* the price mentioned for university accom - leaving space for council tax, bills, etc).

I'm not sure whether he's an idiot (postgrad studying would suggest not) or simply unsuited to be allowed out in the real world on his own.

PRSboy replied to jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
2 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

There are currently 71 adverts on Rightmove for places to rent under £600pcm within 3 miles of Bristol (chosen as it's *half* the price mentioned for university accom - leaving space for council tax, bills, etc).

I'm not sure whether he's an idiot (postgrad studying would suggest not) or simply unsuited to be allowed out in the real world on his own.

A point in the article is that private landlords will not let to students.

mike the bike replied to PRSboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

...... A point in the article is that private landlords will not let to students.  

I can understand that ....

jollygoodvelo replied to PRSboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

jollygoodvelo wrote:

A point in the article is that private landlords will not let to students.

Likely to be that the agents have default 'no students' policies which for your average 18-year-old are probably justifiable, but shouldn't really apply for a postgrad.  In the same way as they have 'no pets' policies, but actually putting the question to the landlord (as they are obliged to do if you ask) often gets consent.

FluffyKittenofT... | 4 years ago
6 likes

I thought this was going to be a story about the world's most ambitious cycle commute.

Surely that's how a real Dutchman would do it?

brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes

TBH the story surprised me given how much of Bristol's city centre area is given over to office blocks converted into massive student hives - the idea that there isn't enough student accommodation staggers me...

(Don't get me started on the idea that someone would seriously consider commuting by aeroplane!!! surprise)

Hirsute | 4 years ago
2 likes

Down to you or HP to offer lodgings !!

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 4 years ago
7 likes

hirsute wrote:

I don't think we've got the room

kil0ran replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
4 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

hirsute wrote:

I don't think we've got the room

Those appear to be squirrels, this is a hamsterjam...

Latest Comments