Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Downhill braking

Im lucky enough to have a place in Spain. Im going to buy an orbea gain for my local ride which will be 600m climb in 6km (ceros de Moro near Mijas)  I’m 65 so I don’t intend to plummet back down but will drag the brake a lot. I’m concerned about overheating. I can buy a d50 with mechanical discs or a d40 with hydraulic discs. Which would you choose? Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

As an aside, my regular riding buddy is a fast decender, and recently swapped  back to his rim braked, carbon rimmed Colnago, after a couple of years on a disk braked Roubaix.

We did the Rococorba recently and I was glad of my rim brakes, very little scope for letting brakes off to cool and it's consistently steep in the middle. I don't know if I'm 'fast' but I do like to play with the road, taking racing lines where possible etc.

For long steep descents with a lot of braking I'm not sure I'm sold on hydraulics yet, I'd rather brake how and when I want to rather than have my braking style dictated by the needs of my brakes (seems a bit arse-about-tit if you ask me). To me, gentle feathering and dragging seems more appropriate for road bikes rather than pulsing or braking hard and late.

That being said, I was beginning to wonder about heat build up in my aluminium rims, given that I was running latex tubes, but I believe that's more of an issue with carbon rims?

CXR94Di2 replied to IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward wrote:

Quote:

As an aside, my regular riding buddy is a fast decender, and recently swapped  back to his rim braked, carbon rimmed Colnago, after a couple of years on a disk braked Roubaix.

We did the Rococorba recently and I was glad of my rim brakes, very little scope for letting brakes off to cool and it's consistently steep in the middle. I don't know if I'm 'fast' but I do like to play with the road, taking racing lines where possible etc.

For long steep descents with a lot of braking I'm not sure I'm sold on hydraulics yet, I'd rather brake how and when I want to rather than have my braking style dictated by the needs of my brakes (seems a bit arse-about-tit if you ask me). To me, gentle feathering and dragging seems more appropriate for road bikes rather than pulsing or braking hard and late.

That being said, I was beginning to wonder about heat build up in my aluminium rims, given that I was running latex tubes, but I believe that's more of an issue with carbon rims?

From the odd person who I've met in Tenerife who were using carbon wheels, all swapped out to aluminium wheels from the hire centre due to concerns about excessive heat in the rim.

I would employ hard on off braking on my motorcycle coming down a mountain pass. Dragging brakes compounds the heart build up. Hydraulic brakes, sintered pads allow for heavy braking, rapid deceleration. Pulsing brakes is a smooth but firm braking, then release and repeat, its not a ABS style pulsing. Coming down a mountain can take upto an hour with lots of hairpin bends to contend with speeds easily reaching 50mph if you like to descend quickly

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Short hard braking then releasing and repeat is a lot less system wear plus the reduced chance of brake fade.
My point of view is from truck yet the same physics is such with bicycles. I've had brake loss and once brakes heat beyond friction point they simply disappear and to me such was surprisingly fast.
I don't have much experience with bicycle steep descents with braking requirements because most of my descents had been a torqueless top cog absent of tight corners nor need to slow.
But pulse braking reduces wear and tear of the braking system according to the monitored trucks I drive and their maintenance schedules as to the best of my knowledge, I'm only a driver that usually does much less driving and just loads them in.
Be careful if dragging because once beyond friction temperature range you'll be accelerating.

CyclingInBeastMode replied to Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

Boatsie wrote:

Short hard braking then releasing and repeat is a lot less system wear plus the reduced chance of brake fade. My point of view is from truck yet the same physics is such with bicycles. I've had brake loss and once brakes heat beyond friction point they simply disappear and to me such was surprisingly fast. I don't have much experience with bicycle steep descents with braking requirements because most of my descents had been a torqueless top cog absent of tight corners nor need to slow. But pulse braking reduces wear and tear of the braking system according to the monitored trucks I drive and their maintenance schedules as to the best of my knowledge, I'm only a driver that usually does much less driving and just loads them in. Be careful if dragging because once beyond friction temperature range you'll be accelerating.

that's were ceramic rims and pads come into their own, you can brake hard over and over from high speed with not much if any 'fade'.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the wiki link, which does quote some research, albeit on HGVs with drum brakes. The conclusion there is there are some benefits to HGVs with many drum braked wheels. However, not a massive difference- 

"Inpractice on an actual  vehicle with several brakes  with various levels of proportioning and effectiveness, the cooling advantages of pulsing the brakes were not large enough to be noticed."

nevertheless,  my preference is to brake ahead of the corners rather than drag, because it's more fun.

jaysa | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ooo, Ooo let me do that descent please please smiley

I've just video'ed some of my French descents and puzzled because the video linked looks much faster than I was going yet there is very little lean, but my Garmin shows 48mph and I'm leaning at 45 degrees sometimes. Are youtube videos sped up or is this an artefact of the angle of view (Hero Session 5 in Linear mode) ?

mattsccm | 4 years ago
0 likes

Drag one,  pulse one then swap. There are times when the "let them loose then brake hard" doesn't work. That builds up speed which you can then lose but some times you don't want that speed. I found my hydros over heating coming off the Bealach na Ba but the road wasn't safe enough for me to let the brakes off. Dragging was the only option. 

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pulse them bro.. +1 to not dragging.
Feeling is like heat melts 'em and you can clamp them as hard as you want but once melted they'll simply slide without friction

StraelGuy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I see the point about the same energy being dissipated no matter how you brake but surely hard braking and then letting off for the heat to dissipate is better for the brake fluid than dragging the brakes which means the rotor is continually being heated and is constantly in contact with pads allowing heat to transfer into the caliper?

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

"So they act as a heat sink that is continuously refreshed before  each successive injection of heat, so that less heat ever reaches the brake fluid."

Hawkinspeter makes a good proposal here, that wasn't measured  in the paper I referenced. 

Robert Hardy | 4 years ago
0 likes

It seems to me that continuous light breaking controlling the speed of descent to a near constant will cause fewer problems than occasional heavy breaking, The energy that is dissipated ultimately as heat will be the same in both cases, but heavy breaking will result in much higher brake component temperatures during the period of braking, whilst continuous breaking will result in a lower equilibrium brake component temperature to be established.

Mybike replied to Robert Hardy | 4 years ago
0 likes
Robert Hardy wrote:

It seems to me that continuous light breaking controlling the speed of descent to a near constant will cause fewer problems than occasional heavy breaking, The energy that is dissipated ultimately as heat will be the same in both cases, but heavy breaking will result in much higher brake component temperatures during the period of braking, whilst continuous breaking will result in a lower equilibrium brake component temperature to be established.

That will actually create more heat. Hard short braking will work much better and produce less heat. It give the rotor fluids time to cool

Sriracha replied to Mybike | 4 years ago
1 like
Mybike wrote:
Robert Hardy wrote:

That will actually create more heat. Hard short braking will work much better and produce less heat. It give the rotor fluids time to cool

A lot of truth in what Robert says.
The total amount of heat generated will be equal to the total amount of gravitational potential energy, and that will be a linear function of mass x height (as in altitude) differential. Whether you add it up in large but less frequent dollops, or eke it out in one continuous stream, it's the same mass x the same height differential.

However, that all ignores wind and other resistance, which is a non-linear function of speed. So cadence braking, by having intervals of higher speed, should dissipate more energy in resistance losses leaving less for the brakes. At the limit, you would not be braking at all and all the energy loss would be wind/rolling resistance, but death might overtake you first.

Then you have to consider how the heat flows. It's generated at the frictional surfaces, and flows from there. The trick is to keep it away from heat-sensitive things, like the brake fluid, by dissipating it to the air. I'm guessing that with cadence braking the rotors and pads reach a higher peak temperature, causing them to dissipate heat at a faster rate, and then continuing to cool during the rest periods. So they act as a heat sink that is continuously refreshed before each successive injection of heat, so that less heat ever reaches the brake fluid. But I'm yet to convince myself.

Could make for a good test with two matched riders on the same descent, one dragging the brakes, the other using cadence braking to achieve the same average speed, the bikes rigged with sensors and data capture. Any engineering students out there?

hawkinspeter replied to Sriracha | 4 years ago
2 likes

Sriracha wrote:
Mybike wrote:
Robert Hardy wrote:

The total amount of heat generated will be equal to the total amount of gravitational potential energy, and that will be a linear function of mass x height (as in altitude) differential. Whether you add it up in large but less frequent dollops, or eke it out in one continuous stream, it's the same mass x the same height differential. However, that all ignores wind and other resistance, which is a non-linear function of speed. So cadence braking, by having intervals of higher speed, should dissipate more energy in resistance losses leaving less for the brakes. At the limit, you would not be braking at all and all the energy loss would be wind/rolling resistance, but death might overtake you first. Then you have to consider how the heat flows. It's generated at the frictional surfaces, and flows from there. The trick is to keep it away from heat-sensitive things, like the brake fluid, by dissipating it to the air. I'm guessing that with cadence braking the rotors and pads reach a higher peak temperature, causing them to dissipate heat at a faster rate, and then continuing to cool during the rest periods. So they act as a heat sink that is continuously refreshed before each successive injection of heat, so that less heat ever reaches the brake fluid. But I'm yet to convince myself. Could make for a good test with two matched riders on the same descent, one dragging the brakes, the other using cadence braking to achieve the same average speed, the bikes rigged with sensors and data capture. Any engineering students out there?

Is that like how a cup of tea will cool quicker if you wait for it to cool down first and then add milk rather than adding milk and then waiting for it to cool?

Drinfinity replied to Mybike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mybike wrote:
Robert Hardy wrote:

, The energy that is dissipated ultimately as heat will be the same in both cases, but heavy breaking will result in much higher brake component temperatures during the period of braking, whilst continuous breaking will result in a lower equilibrium brake component temperature to be established.

Mybike, how would it create 'more' heat to drag the brake? You need to show your working here. I've read the cycling weekly article where someone makes such an assertion but without data.

Ignoring differences in aerodynamic drag, the amount of heat generated is the same. The temperatures reached will vary based on how effectively the disc dissipates that heat. The heat loss will be more rapid at a greater temperature difference between disc and surrounding air, but it isn't obvious from that which is a better braking strategy.

Dragging a brake can be done on a rear and front brake, whereas sharp braking tends to be more powerful on the front. So dragging gives you more disc to dissipate the same amount of heat. 

If you want graphs, there are some here, but it doesn't resolve the question. We should also consider why if matters- if you have clean fresh brake fluid and properly sized rotors your brakes should survive the descent.

https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/proceedings/proceedings-02-00215/artic...

Mybike replied to Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like
Drinfinity wrote:

Mybike wrote:
Robert Hardy wrote:

, The energy that is dissipated ultimately as heat will be the same in both cases, but heavy breaking will result in much higher brake component temperatures during the period of braking, whilst continuous breaking will result in a lower equilibrium brake component temperature to be established.

Mybike, how would it create 'more' heat to drag the brake? You need to show your working here. I've read the cycling weekly article where someone makes such an assertion but without data.

Ignoring differences in aerodynamic drag, the amount of heat generated is the same. The temperatures reached will vary based on how effectively the disc dissipates that heat. The heat loss will be more rapid at a greater temperature difference between disc and surrounding air, but it isn't obvious from that which is a better braking strategy.

Dragging a brake can be done on a rear and front brake, whereas sharp braking tends to be more powerful on the front. So dragging gives you more disc to dissipate the same amount of heat. 

If you want graphs, there are some here, but it doesn't resolve the question. We should also consider why if matters- if you have clean fresh brake fluid and properly sized rotors your brakes should survive the descent.

https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/proceedings/proceedings-02-00215/artic...

Dragging the brake will. Always create heat when you off the brakes it gives the fluid rotor time to cool. Sure it will maybe reach a higher temp for a short while but it will also cool down when release Unlike dragging the brake which will just build up higher temps and not cool down
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I am 4 years younger than you, also come from the Scottish climate, and now have a similar climate to you, with most of my riding in the South of France (Ventoux is my back yard), and Southern Alps. I have no problem at all with rim brakes on steep descents, but then I bought my bike in 2016. Buying now, I would go disc, and there is little point going for the half way house of mechanical disc. Mechancal discs are a compromise I suspect you will regret later.

As an aside, my regular riding buddy is a fast decender, and recently swapped  back to his rim braked, carbon rimmed Colnago, after a couple of years on a disk braked Roubaix. A couple of weeks ago I had to scrape him off the road on the Ventoux to Bedoin descent. I think there is a lesson there for people who ride both rim and disc. (Having said that, the Colnago is a think of beauty, and I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Roubaix)

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hydraulic brakes far superior. I tend to brake hard then release to let brakes cool and brake again. Hydraulic brakes allow good feel and modulation of braking effort. If you hold and drag the brakes everything will begin to cook. I upgraded to Hope 4pot calipers, with longer pads.
I use this technique for descents like off Mt. Teide, Ventoux etc.

Also dont let speed get too high to start with, so shedding speed is easier

CyclingInBeastMode replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Hydraulic brakes far superior. I tend to brake hard then release to let brakes cool and brake again. Hydraulic brakes allow good feel and modulation of braking effort. If you hold and drag the brakes everything will begin to cook. I upgraded to Hope 4pot calipers, with longer pads. I use this technique for descents like off Mt. Teide, Ventoux etc. Also dont let speed get too high to start with, so shedding speed is easier

One of the most ignored and/or under appreciated aspects of descending (when you're not racing) safely, it's easier to control and gives you more thinking time from a lower speed, if you know you've got some steep sections coming up or maybe simply a hairpin then reducing/getting your speed under control BEFORE you reach 'terminal velocity' is pretty damn important. Sitting up on the tops can also help to reduce speed rather than being in the dops, even opening a jersey/jacket, not going to be huge but it all adds up when you want to keep the speed down.

Also picking the right line as best you can (taking other traffic into account) gives you more control/time to brake, scrubbing off your speed in panic because your line is wrong/going too fast/tyres losing traction under braking (which can happen in the wet easily even with carbon wheels and rim brakes) too often doesn't end well.

Some riders and pretty much all bog standard drivers find it quite hard to go wide out to take turns/bends but having that more open angle means you can see further, be apply the brakes for that smidge longer (than taking the inside line) and less chance of going straight on if you do get it wrong.

I've come down in the alps on std ally's and ceramic rim brakes, the latter are brilliant if you do have a lot of high speed braking points over a relatively shorter distance, do they do ceramic disc brakes for bikes?

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

Tredz spec sheet on the D50 has Shimano mechanical brakes, which given the visible group set is Claris level, will be single sided . 

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Paul's Components make the Klamper, which is probably as good as mechanical disks can get, teamed up with compressionless cables, Nokons or Avids.  Can't be bad.  Bit pricey mind.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
0 likes

Definitely go for the hydraulic brakes. The tiagras have a cooling fin on the pads and as long as they are bled correctly you should have no issues with fading. You could upgrade to vented rotors too in the future (actually I think they might already be vented).

If you are doing long descents and dragging the brakes, it’s best to alternate between dragging the front and then the rear, to allow for some cooling and give your hand a rest. The advantage of hydraulic is they require a lot less effort, so a much reduced risk of hand cramps, which can be a problem on long descents.

I think the main reason tandems sometimes have mechanical drag brakes is because they use a friction thumb or bar end shifter to actuate the brake, and I don’t think you can get a hydraulic version.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ask tandem riders what they use as the third drag brake. Last I heard they prefer a mechanical disk over hydraulic as cables don't boil. Can't see it will make much difference whether you "pulse" or not - physics tells you how much energy you need to lose over any given descent, and it's all going out as heat.

maviczap | 4 years ago
1 like

Ha that's my kind of descent!

You'll be fine there, if you can cope with wet Scottish descents on rim brake, then discs will be a revelation.

However I've had no problems using rim brakes in the Alps or Pyrenees, although only in the dry.

Limiting factor is tyres with braking, as you've only got a small contact patch with a bicycle tyre.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

The mechanical ones will be single side actuation.

Unless they are TRP Spyres, very common these days and actuate both pads.

I think hydraulics are more sensitive to oveheating than cable brakes, I've certainly lost braking power on a steep, loose tarmac descent past the Bracklin Falls in Callander (little Scottish reference for you there!). Pulsing the brakes might work but is a pain as it effectively dictates how and when you brake, not ideal.

I think the best suggestion is to do all your braking before each corner, then let the brakes off for a bit on the straights before repeating the process for the next corner. I did some descending in Spain and noticed how good the bike felt going through corners off the brakes! Not always possible if they are steep switchbacks though.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

I’m even more jealous having seen the video!

phototext | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks guys. This link will give you a view of the descent https://youtu.be/qnMJEHsDZyI
As an old fart, my gung ho attitude to descending is fading to vertigo, hence the worry about brakes. I am used to wet rim brakes in Scotland mind you.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

Sounds like you have a great plan with the Spanish pad!

Hydraulic discs every time.

The mechanical ones will be single side actuation. This means one pad is fixed, and as it wears down you have to adjust it out, otherwise it disappears inside the caliper and you have no braking. Not a problem on my kids CX bike where it gets checked over after every 30 minute race - less attractive for regular long descent.

Tiagra 2x10 gearing will be an improvement over the Claris 2x8.

If you are planning long descents and dragging the brake, it might be worth getting a new Ultegra finned disc or similar to dissipate the heat better, and finned pads.

maviczap | 4 years ago
2 likes

Go for hydraulic, marginally less faff than cable, self adjusting, not susceptible to cable stretch.
As for over heating then both will be the same, although it might be possible to boil the hydraulic fluid and loose braking ? But that's extremely unlikely.

Best way to avoid overheating is not to drag the brake, I wouldn't do that with any braking system.

Just let the bike roll, brake pre corner, then let it roll.

If it's a long straight descent, then pulse brake or alternate between front and rear to check your speed, if you aren't a confident descender.

It's tiring on your arms to be constantly braking, and you'll eat brake pads too.

Latest Comments