Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Consent management platforms

Any way of blocking these damned things?  Road.cc is the worst website I visit for these page blockers when viewing it on my android phone.  Every separate page/item sets up another request from Quantcast or dealclincher or some such, who apparently value my privacy.  Surely telling them NO just once is enough?  Just about to give up on road.cc.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

That info wrong.
116mm, 120mm. Sturmey Archer 2 speed. Watt we gather. Having fun too.
Hmm. Might fit where the 6 speed is?  1
Loving the roads

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thank you Tony Farrelly.

Thank you ktache, I didn't know until reading whom to thank regarding this site road.cc

Awesome bro. My cycling has improved heaps thanks to thoughts from sites like this such as ,' yeah that'll work  1 ' . Roads are getting faster again here. Same roads, same tyres, same combinations. Seasonal reduction in cycling friction yet grippier corners.

I like the pop ups. Makes me wonder what higher end components I may use with regards to avoiding composites. Eg. I wonder if I can get 32-35 mm rubber without Kevlar belts. I wonder if I can get low weight 9 speed shifters of rubber and alloy.
My mate asked me whether I wanted his old bike. Steel (hopefully chromoly) but about 1.5 inch of horizontal dropout slots.
Soak 24 hours in vinegar lifts Rust and doesn't harm metal. Waiting to measure axle width because a 3-4 kg aero wheel set here should fit and super strong to give it straight back to him. Weights stuff all really considering he's 100+kg and I don't think anything will buckle them aye.  1
To me quality is something that isn't rubbish after use.

Art in Heave on, hollow be thy name.
May as well mean drop it back a couple of cog and heave on the spinning hollow cranks.

Umm.. Thanks. Pop ups here inspire ideas.
Mtb 135mm axles suit hub gear widths. Stoney Archer 2 speed no cable 138% overdrive might suit my fat mate.. Easy drop bars to taper cut off wind, easy brakes, no gearing cable.. That'd also be a nice bike. (Not that hilly around here).
You guys rock

HarryTrauts | 4 years ago
0 likes

The frequency of the consent forms varies for me.  There are days when it's every time I load a fresh road.cc page.  The following day there can be none.  I've made no changes so I assume it's not to do with my settings.  It does spoil idling away time when I should be working.

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the reply Tony, bit annoying but I'm going to keep coming back no matter what.  Great site, and the free thing.  I didn't know if you were aware, that's all.  Interesting about the DOS attack, I wonder what extremist motoring organisation would do such a thing?

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tony, less certs for me, but I am getting a lot of slow page loading and 504 and 505 bad gateway things coming up.  Don't know if it's just me or something your end.

Tony Farrelly replied to ktache | 4 years ago
3 likes
ktache wrote:

Tony, less certs for me, but I am getting a lot of slow page loading and 504 and 505 bad gateway things coming up.  Don't know if it's just me or something your end.

No, it's not you it's something our end unfortunately. Our new server provider seems to be having intermittent problems with block storage which affects the load speed of the site - causing the 504 timeout if the site is unable to load quickly enough – and road.cc is a chunky old load  1
We've taken steps to mitigate it and some of the time things seem to be working well, but for some reason it seems to affect road.cc and its sister sites disproportionately on Mondays. It's a massive PITA, so really sorry if it's been affecting your enjoyment of the site on top of that we also suffered a big DDOS attack a couple of weeks back (we haven't had one of those in years) it didn't succeed in knocking the site over but did also cause a load of 504 timeout issues. Hopefully they are now fixed permanently or on the way to being fixed permanently.

Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
0 likes

The consent forms 'should' be something you see relatively rarely - if they're working properly. They're not a complete one-shot deal because the advertising channels are obliged to get everyone to re-consent on a fairly regular basis. 
As far as we understand it from our end there are two main reasons you'll see them a lot.
The first is the simplest, because the popup isn't working properly. If that's the case we want to know about it so we can get it fixed. They seem to be working as they should on my Android phone running Chrome for both road.cc and Dealclincher at the moment but I'm not calling that as conclusive proof that everything is workin as it should.
The second reason you might see the consent popups a lot is if you're running an ad blocker. Some blockers don't allow the popup to register your answer causing it then to popup every time.because as far as it's concerned you're a new visitor to the site. Obviously if you're running an ad blocker tea and sympathy is not going to be free-flowing from us given that the ads pay for the site, keep the office lights on etc etc.
That said we do always want to know though if there is an issue - so please shout letting us know the type of device you're on, the browser you're using, and ideally the page of the site you experienced the problem on.  

alchemilla replied to Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

The consent forms 'should' be something you see relatively rarely - if they're working properly. They're not a complete one-shot deal because the advertising channels are obliged to get everyone to re-consent on a fairly regular basis. 
As far as we understand it from our end there are two main reasons you'll see them a lot.
The first is the simplest, because the popup isn't working properly. If that's the case we want to know about it so we can get it fixed. They seem to be working as they should on my Android phone running Chrome for both road.cc and Dealclincher at the moment but I'm not calling that as conclusive proof that everything is workin as it should.
The second reason you might see the consent popups a lot is if you're running an ad blocker. Some blockers don't allow the popup to register your answer causing it then to popup every time.because as far as it's concerned you're a new visitor to the site. Obviously if you're running an ad blocker tea and sympathy is not going to be free-flowing from us given that the ads pay for the site, keep the office lights on etc etc.
That said we do always want to know though if there is an issue - so please shout letting us know the type of device you're on, the browser you're using, and ideally the page of the site you experienced the problem on.  

Running Chrome on my Samsung phone, no ad blocker.  Have narrowed it down to when I click on the link to road.cc/content/news from your Facebook page.  Quantcast pops up within seconds every time, but found I can get round it by choosing "open in chrome" from the options on top right of page.  Just another page load, takes a few more seconds, but I suppose I can live with that.  Is it right though, the Quantcast pops up every time I follow a link from your Facebook page?

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

adguard on your phone

quiff | 4 years ago
1 like

"Surely telling them NO just once is enough?"

They certainly think once is enough if you say YES... Agree it's really irritating.

Simon E | 4 years ago
2 likes

Anyone who states "we value your privacy" is doing the exact opposite.

The only answer is take steps such as not using Google Chrome, private browsing - install something like Firefox Focus or Ghostery. FF for desktop now has a Facebook container add-on to stop that bunch of crooks from tracking your every click, which they'll do regardless of whether you're logged into it or not.

Install uBlock origin add-on and don't click links with long or indirect URLs - if they're not honest enough to show you where you're heading then you really don't want to trust them. It's not perfect, you give up some convenience, but will hopefully regain some privacy.

Latest Comments