Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

tiagra 4650 or fsa gossamer megaexo crankset

hi, i just changed my bike, bought a merida ride disc, not new but very good condition, i have some spare components from my old bike, they were almost new as i didnt plan to change it and replaced them in june, my question is, is it worth to put shimano tiagra 4650 crankset with tiagra bb over fsa gossamer? and shimano 105 5700 rear derraileur over tiagra 4700 rear derraileur? any experience with merida hubs in rainy days?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

serbanalexandru | 4 years ago
0 likes

thank you for answers

Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like

Unless there's something wrong with the FSA or it's wearing out then leave it on there for now.

As for hubs, quality (and weatherproofing) varies greatly. If they are cup & cone bearings it's worth regreasing at intervals but with cartridge bearings I'm told you just replace them when needed.

Woldsman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Although both are 10-speed 570x and 470x kit is not interchangeable (aside from, say, chainsets and cassettes). Whether you fit these models of Shimano 105 or Tiagra rear mech is determined by the shifter. 470x uses a cable pull which is different from other 10-speed groupsets: you can’t mix and match these particular examples. 

So if you have 470x shifter go with the 470x rear mech. Any other 10-speed shifter should be used with the 570x rear mech. 

Latest Comments