Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Roof bars

Hi all, 

I've recently acquired a set of Yakima whispbars but the correct bike holder has been discontinued on roofbox (link below).

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/bike-carriers/whispb...

Can anyone suggest an appropriate substitute?

Thanks,

J

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just one other point. If you go for a fork mount, which I prefer for a carbon frame, make sure its the right fit for your forks! It was easy when we all had dropouts, but if you have thru axles you need to ensure the rack accepts these, or buy a universal adaptor which allows thru axles to fit a rack designed for dropouts. Again, roofbox.co.uk will keep you right.

jmcfadds903 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, guys!

I'm not hellbent on using the Whispbar specific mount, just trying to suss out what alternatives would be suitable and keep the bike safely atop my vehicle. I'll make an enquiry with roofbox to see what alternatives they suggest - thanks for your recommendations. 

Griff500 | 4 years ago
1 like

The whole point of T-tracks is to achieve compatibility between accessory manufacturers, so as lastboyscout says, any T-track bike rack should fit. I have Cruz aero bars, with Atera T-track, fork mount bike rack. Works fine. However from your link, you are already at the best place to advise - roofbox.co.uk, who I have always found helpful and competitive.

LastBoyScout | 4 years ago
1 like

I've also got Whispbars and they will accept any bike carrier that mounts with T-track fixings.

I use Thule ProRide fork mounted ones on mine.

The equivalents to the one you've mentioned are the Thule FreeRide 532 or ProRide 598, but check the roofbox site for other options.

If you absolutely must have the Whispbar one, then try eBay?

Hirsute | 4 years ago
1 like

You could keep looking or ring up a few places. I got lucky with a mount blanc (ceased trading) holder at one place (he found it out the back).
Otherwise you might be starting from scratch with the whole shooting match.

Latest Comments