Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman slr 9.4 Mudguards

Hi,

Looking at picking up a SLR 9.4 with hidden eyelets for mudguards. Has anybody fotted mudguards to their SLR frame...and if so...what type of guards?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

jackfrost13 | 4 years ago
2 likes

Fitted.

0 likes

Didn't need the meccano..... Not quite finished bit useable at least. Loosened of front brake caliper then attached before tightening up caliper again... Seemed to work fine. This gave me enough movement on the from brake hose to screw in the plastic clip. All good!

0 likes

Looking great. Mudguards ordered. Now to raid the kids mecanno sets...

FishboyAndy | 4 years ago
3 likes

The finished article - front mudguard is in England, rear mudguard is in Scotland smiley

1 like

Oh, quick question JF.. I need to get a new roof-mounted carried for away days, but the carbon frame, mudguards and through axle complicate things. I'm thinking a Thule Thruride 565 but have you given this any thought??

Ta, A.

0 likes

LABs - the mounts were a fairly important selling point for me, wanted a bike that I wasn't worried about getting too filthy or wet on and the price was good yes

0 likes

No probs JF, glad to help! Bar tape is rubbish as the reviews say - needlessly thin and the lack of wraps even more so. Must have saved about 10p on a £2k bike.. Will need to invest in some better stuff asap.

Meccano was actually from an "Eiffel Tower in a tin" gift from the sprogs, drilled out to 5mm so the bolts could fit through. Tell no one...

Have fun!

longassballs | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ha I love the meccano.

Was gonna ask how you got around the lack of a brake bridge problem (got that one coming up myself...) except I see the boardman is one of the rare breeds of new disc brake bikes with a fixing - so think yourself lucky!

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

The sticky tape had less than 1mm on the handlebar. Bloody crap. Much better now.

Now then, is it time for a handlebar wrapping debate?

I'm pretty sure the gold standard is for the sticky tape to stop precisely at the edge of the bar tape, no overlap at all?

0 likes

That is wonderful! Was reading but couldn't visualise the meccano bodge... But good work! Looks great. Really appreciate the time you've taken to help me out. Serving bike arrived in perfect condition. Apart from..... The bar tape! Before it went anywhere I replaced the bar sticky tape. The sticky tape had less than 1mm on the handlebar. Bloody crap. Much better now.

Enjoy the winter and thanks for your help. Now I need to find my kids box of meccano... JF

3 likes

Hi JF,

Finally got around to fitting the mudguards and as expected they're a pain to fit but they're on now and I think they'll be fine. Give yourself plenty of time and keep a swear box handy...

I got the 35mm matt black ones from Wiggle and despite what it says on their website they arrived with rubber flaps on both mudguards - I've removed them for now as the tolerances around the tyres are pretty tight as it is. Mudguards look proper stealthy though and aren't obvious from a casual glance. Too dark for a snap tonight, will sort over the weekend.

As I thought I couldn't get the front mudguard stays to attach directly to the forks because the brake line is in the way and the plastic couplings won't clear the forks. So, I've bodged them a bit with some Meccano stuff. Should work fine but need painted matt black now! You could just put the rear ones on the front - not sure how big a deal it is to have them capable of popping off.

Finally, the stainless steel stays are a b*****d to cut - Dremel cam in handy for once..

Interesting yours arrived damaged - mine arrived with a few minor scratches on one brake lever as it had popped through the box. And, the bar tape has popped out from under the next wrap after fewer than 100 miles...

Cheers, A.

0 likes

Thanks Andy. Can you let me know how you get on? My first 9.4 has been sent back... Damage to frame. Waiting for new bike to arrive. Thanks alot.

0 likes

I've just bought a SLR 9.2 disc and asked Boardman what they recommend - SKS Bluemels, 35mm for 23-28mm tyres was the answer. Apparently the matt black ones look best (always very important)! Have bought some but not fitted them yet - fit will be a proper fiddle but should be good. Think I'll have to use the rear stays on the front though to work around the disc hoses.

Cheers, A.

PS Contacted via Facebook and Messenger - really good at responding.

Bmblbzzz | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ha! Or even, aagh! No experience of the Boardman but if they are similar to Specialized Plug and Play, well, I'll just say that even a Specialized dealer told me "Those don't work, we'll fit SKS for you."

huntswheelers | 4 years ago
0 likes

not 100% but I'd hazard a guess they will be similar to the awful Specialized Plug And Play Fenders .... 

Latest Comments