Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

SUV as a squirrel nut store

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

nniff | 4 years ago
3 likes

Just when I thought it was safe to return!  laugh

nniff | 4 years ago
6 likes

Oh, God help us all!  Are you on tomorrow night as well?

hawkinspeter replied to nniff | 4 years ago
6 likes

nniff wrote:

Oh, God help us all!  Are you on tomorrow night as well?

There’s a squirrel sitting in an acorn tree, doing squirrel stuff...

When he notices an elephant approach and begin to climb the tree. He’s baffled and yells down ‘WHAT are you doing?!’

The elephant nonchalantly replies ‘I’m just coming up to eat oranges’. The squirrel snorts and shouts back ‘you IDIOT; this is an acorn tree!’

The elephant, now nearing the top and getting annoyed by the squirrel, snaps back
‘WELL I BROUGHT MY OWN FLIPPING ORANGES!’

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
7 likes

This reminds me of a time that an archaeologist friend of mine visited a small town in Nevada.

He was just ambling around, enjoying the play of the autumn light on the terracotta and adobe-colored buildings. He rounds a corner and is surprised to see the most, bar none, stunningly beautiful alley he's ever come across...

It may sound like he's a bit nerdy, but we all have our things we love and he's a lover of old streets.

The ground of the alley is a light orange in hue, with a soft almost nutty sheen and texture.

His feet feel refreshed!

The street has gorgeous slopes and embankments, like an alleyway out of Florence in the 1500s, but made out of clay stones.

He sees two gentlemen working on fixing a small crack in the street, the only blemish for blocks.

One of them is pounding down the clay with a wide-head sledgehammer, thwap thwap!

The other is on his knees with a compass and a pick and a broom, adjusting the grade of the street material.

He interrupts them to say, "Excuse me gentlemen! I hate to be a bother, but I just want to applaud your hard work on this alleyway. It's rare a city takes such good care with its streets and this one is one of the best."

The man with the sledge stops and says, "Well, we appreciate that sir. You know your streets, it seems! Would it surprise you to know that the composition of this street is not adobe? It's mulched with our native nut trees, the cashew nut. That's what gives it its softness. When it rains, the petrichor has a slight sweetness due to the cashew, and the town smells fantastic. I'm just hammering it down before it gets too cold."

"Well, I'll be!" cried the archaeologist. "And what's that fellow up to?" pointing to the man on his knees.

"Oh him! He's in charge of checking the grade of the clay. If it's too rough, he picks and sweeps it. Backbreaking work. We hire four of them, one for each season. And since autumn just arrived, he's got a few months yet. So you see..."

And here the man paused...

"So you see...my hammered alley is really 'cashews clay'. And he is the gradist."

"The gradist...of fall time."

brooksby | 4 years ago
2 likes

I thought it looked like one of your sort of stories, for some reason...  3

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
6 likes

I saw that earlier and debated whether I should post it here and strangely, thought that it wasn't relevant (never stopped me before).

Latest Comments