Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hi Everyone, New member new hybrid bike build.

Hi, Ive just joined the site and i'm hoping to get some advice on a first attempt at building a hybrid bike. My background is a toolmaker for 40+ years working on all aspects of the job including building robotic machines, I'm 5'5" with an inside leg of 27" arm length to middle of palm 21". My primary reason for the buid is to build my core strength up as I have a back problem and my consultant has suggested cycling as a good method to achieve this, obviously having the back problem means I need a situp and beg style of riding. Where I live its pretty flat so no hill climbs, I'd like a seat with shock absorber and 2x9 to 2x11 gearing no front or rear shocks and i'm not sure on the brake type I'd also like a removable light weight rack for my paniers, manufacturer and best place to buy would be helpful to. The main priority is light weight, I have a budget of around £400 maybe a bit more if I get exactly what I want. On a side note you can call me Trev or Pigz it doesn't matter I've been called alot worse than anything you can think of lol. here's hoping someone can help.

Cheers

Trev/Pigz

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

You're awesome.
That'll work.
(Looks like a sail at the moment).
Raining tonight. Tommorow a tool load. Hoping I can tool bottom of panniers, clothes above, dry sack on rack and back pack to stack excess. It'll be tight.

Thinking of bike build. Not sure if useful.
I bought a vintage racer. 1990? 50 quid.
Quill stem, 7 speed, 10.5 kg.

Looking at modifications towards longterm commuter, traveling companion..
Here's what I found as plan of attack.
Non composite build. Aiming 8 kg. Be super stoked if under 10kg hence cruisy/lazy in my own time building.
(Note. Probably won't do anything until post summer)
Alloy aero bars, 10 quid. Nice wide cross beams. Comfortable to hold, easy to taper pressured air eg also fast. But 31.8 mm.
10quid. Quill stem to threaded headset adaptor. Hence now adjustable to personal preference.
I don't know cost of head stems. I have used ones that'll suit.
Down tube shifters. Don't know if they'll suit you. Again preferences. Yet if traveling with minimal maintenance of want. Cables pack ready to go.
Rear tyre clearance. This one sux a bit. Wide enough yet short of radius. Needing to cut brake mount stay brace and reweld further up. Height of high volume commuter tyres is much taller than current 23mm racers. With such would need long arm brakes too yet aero TT are currently fairly cost effective.
Lastly wheelsets yet aero at 1.6kg seem reasonably fair fare.
Just ideas bro.

If anything I'll probably consider aero bars and stem replacement here because that's 20 quid and probable improvement of posture. Remaining is dream/wonder/Laugh because someone else picked an idea and improved their enjoyment.

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi Boatsie- Re your bike trailer query-I bought one of the ones you were looking at and it was rubbish.

Now I use a cheap furniture trolley.Tape a stick up the middle and lash to rear rack (allowing for movement). Shown here on ferry carrying 2 full sheets of half inch marine ply and a weed wacker.

Tows quite easily and would be no problem for the distances you mentioned.

Much better than any bought one!

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just a note. Dad's 70+ and I bought lots of cheap bikes although quality because the used market here basically give them away with patience. I've wanted him to take my hybrid a while now. It'd suit him. 14.3 kg with panniers, mud guards and hub gearing. It'd be faster than his MTB (lol, I rolled into a street post on that during pitch black flat out descent, Bent the bar and knee struck the post, disabled me a while yet bike stayed straight and bar straightened. Lol)
I still think he'd prefer the nonserviced smoothness of the hub gear though and the frame style would be easier to maintain speed upon yet very similar rigid bikes.
That was $120 with new tyres (+$1200 new), without guards or panniers. A nice easy drive ratio system.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Lean resting forward on a table and lifting 1 leg at a time is a simple back lower exercise.
There's plenty of MTB wheel road slicks around. My old man used a MTB with a rack to road carry equipment with. Similar to hybrid, sometimes difficult to see differences.

Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like

Secondhand is the way if you're on a budget. 9 speed and higher drivetrains will cost a lot more than 7 or 8 speed. Does anyone actually sell bikes with 11sp flat bar shifters?

Find a flat bar/hybrid bike with v-brakes, ideally 700c not 26", and preferably a good brand. Cheap bikes invariably mean rubbish components. Fit wide, supple tyres and don't over-inflate them. Good, large volume tyres will do more for comfort than anything else, though you could also buy a suspension seat post if you think it will really help (check diameter first).

For core strength do yoga or pilates several times a week. On its own cycling doesn't really help in that regard.

SilverBugle | 4 years ago
1 like

Voodoo Marasa from Halfords.  Currentlyu reduced from £450 to £360.  No shock absorber seatpost, but you won't get one fo those at any bike at that price, and 3 x 9 rather that 2 x but that just gives you much more flexiblity with your gearing.

Voodoo always get reviews, and although it is more expenesive that the Halfords Subway equivalent I would say it is much better value for money.

Pinnacle from Evans is also usally good value, but the closest on price is £375 and has 3 x 7 gearing and cable brakes - no comparison

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I like tools too.
I built my bike to learn how the tool works and I realize I could have bought a transport tool(bicycle) that was lighter at about the same cost yet don't really care. (Missed out on wide stays though yet 32mm is holding up well).

I bought used. Cost is Australian hence half price to see quid. New bike's $1200, used at $200.

What I found.. Shock absorber seat post.. I like it.
I use drop bars but if you want to sit up you can grasp on the hoods.
Wider stays to fit wider tyres are much easier on coordination issues of soreness with body.
I roll 2*9. I want to do hills but I'm strong and limited to such due to high close ratio gearing that suits flats. A short cage extends to a 53-23 chain use and compresses to a 39-12 ho chain tension.
Yet riding around, primary number mathematics seem to benefit me and she is most often using 53-17, 53-13, 39-23, 39-17.
I'm getting very good tyre wear, been months since I lubed although I heard grit yesterday and she's due and I ride a fair bit.

Cycling definitely helps back issues, I've had a break and recently I departed Europe with a 1 inch scabbed over hole in my lower back yet no memory of accident. I used a hybrid with front forks there, rolling 35mm tyres. Friends didn't understand that bikes are fast hence I'd ride 100km, meet up at lunch, early arvo, hang out and wander until late night then get up early and do it again. Most forks probably lock hence stay fast on tarmac and hop gutters.
I like spokes. I'm a fan to true rims and clumsiness. True 32 and 36s here get punished. 1 bike with 20s front and rear remaining true yet who knows? Probably strong although they make noise strain underway.

Hope you have fun Pigz. Click click flat bar shifters are easy and reliable in both 9 and 11 speeds. I miss my triple crank even though rarely low.

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

With a budget of £400 I'd look at Decathlon. Something like this - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-100-urban-hybrid-bike-low-frame-id_...

It's 16 Kg. but I don't think you're going to find something light for £400.

Latest Comments