Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Topstone Carbon - anyone else had any issues?

Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any other Topstone users who have had issues with the bike. 

Firstly, the party trick, the Kingpin bolt came loose halfway through a ride. Chain stays had about 5 mm of play. 

Shop took it apart and tightened it, but that was about 2 weeks into ownership. 

Now, the rear freehub is broken. Not spinning at all, advised all bearings need replacing, etc etc. 

I mean the bike is about 9 weeks old and has been off the road due to these issues for about 4 of those weeks. 

Anyone else had similar problems with it? Or just me? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Carax | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, that sounds like a terrible experience! 

extrusion | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes, loads.

Knocking from bottom bracket after a week, took to lbs who added a spacer. Still feels too loose to me but no more knocking.

Persistent clicking noise from suspected headset and juddering of front brake,  sent back to dealer who helpfully tightened the headset cap that I had loosened for transport and claimed everything sorted. Clicking remained. Replaced stem, seemed better but would get worse as the day warmed up, replaced bars, same, removed top headset bearing and head as it was slightly notchy, now seems to be okay.

Derailleur hanger screw not screwed in and no loctite applied.

Shifters incredibly rattly, dealer said they were no worse than other bikes in their shop and there was no guarantee Shimano would warranty them. Others I have spoken to have said theirs make no noise. I will be sending them back soon.

I have just ordered a new caliper and will fit that and hope the juddering is gone.

Bar tape applied in 2 different ways and direction.

Front derailleur not set up properly, stabilisation screw not used so was impossible to get correct shifting until I realised the shops mistake

O rings that stop the axles falling out both ripped.

All in, utterly shite!

rjfrussell replied to extrusion | 4 years ago
0 likes

extrusion wrote:

Yes, loads.

Knocking from bottom bracket after a week, took to lbs who added a spacer. Still feels too loose to me but no more knocking.

Persistent clicking noise from suspected headset and juddering of front brake,  sent back to dealer who helpfully tightened the headset cap that I had loosened for transport and claimed everything sorted. Clicking remained. Replaced stem, seemed better but would get worse as the day warmed up, replaced bars, same, removed top headset bearing and head as it was slightly notchy, now seems to be okay.

Shifters incredibly rattly, dealer said they were no worse than other bikes in their shop and there was no guarantee Shimano would warranty them. Others I have spoken to have said theirs make no noise. I will be sending them back soon.

I have just ordered a new caliper and will fit that and hope the juddering is gone.

Front derailleur not set up properly, stabilisation screw not used so was impossible to get correct shifting until I realised the shops mistake

All in, utterly shite!

How much of all that is down to cannondale, and how much just a shit build by your retailer?

Obvs experiences differ.  After 2 years of riding a 2016 synapse my LBS noticed a hairline crack on  a seatstay.  Took it back to Evans, they dealt with Cannondale-  frame replaced under warranty without question, and not only that, they allowed me to upgrade to the new model for only an extra £150 (whcih given they were both hi-mod frames was a huge bonus).  Fantastic response and service by cannondale and evans gatwick.

extrusion replied to rjfrussell | 4 years ago
1 like

rjfrussell wrote:

How much of all that is down to cannondale, and how much just a shit build by your retailer?

50/50 I guess, but the guy was asking about the topstone carbon and I detailed the issues I've had.

Retailer is Tredz by the way, not the first time I've had issues with the pdi on a bike I've bought from them, but it is the last time I'll buy a bike from them.

CyclingInBeastMode replied to extrusion | 4 years ago
0 likes

extrusion wrote:

Yes, loads.

All in, utterly shite!

Definitely one for the not fit for purpose and reject under the Consumer Goods act, it sounds like a right bag o poop knocked out as a Friday afternon special a la british leyland et al!

I've been so bloody lucky with bikes, even second user ones, my commuter/ute is 10 years old now and aside from a broken pin on one of the v brake arms it's been ridiculously reliable and bombproof to boot despite been mashed, smashed and lots of urban miles.

Carax | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeh, I'm talking with the shop's warranty debt now. 

It's just so annoying. 

pockstone | 4 years ago
1 like

When I say 'get a new one'...I mean a new bike, not a new freehub with a nice long wait attached!

pockstone | 4 years ago
1 like

Sale of Goods Act...merchantable quality. ( I think those are the magic words.)

Take it back to the shop... get a new one or satisfactorily repaired.

30 days warranty on a freehub?...bollocks...see above.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I stand corrected. 

I had a similar issue with daughter's shock mount bolt working loose when new - blue loctite sorted that.

I'd still be suspicious of the same happening at the hub axle though, especially when new and all the factory grease is nice and slippery. Obviously don't want to use loctite there!

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

By 'Kingpin' do you mean rear thru-axle? If so, you have to keep an eye on how tight it is, regardless of brand. 
If you were riding for any length of time with 3mm play at the chainstays, that won't be good for the freehub. It is axle tension that is supposed to  cause the dropouts at the end of the chainstays to compress the freehub on to the wheel. Without that, a new hub could move sideways so the pawls are not engaging correctly (or splines if it's a DT ratchet style).

Carax replied to Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Drinfinity wrote:

By 'Kingpin' do you mean rear thru-axle? If so, you have to keep an eye on how tight it is, regardless of brand. 
If you were riding for any length of time with 3mm play at the chainstays, that won't be good for the freehub. It is axle tension that is supposed to  cause the dropouts at the end of the chainstays to compress the freehub on to the wheel. Without that, a new hub could move sideways so the pawls are not engaging correctly (or splines if it's a DT ratchet style).

No, the "Kingpin" is the party piece on this bike. Allows the seatpost and seat stays extra flex, there's sort of in built frame suspension

Hammermason | 4 years ago
0 likes

Not a Topstone but a Synapse, freehub went after 3 months. According to Tredz C'dale view it as a wear and tear part, so only 30 days warranty! Maddux wheelset, same as the Topstone? Tredz were decent enough to replace foc.

Sriracha replied to Hammermason | 4 years ago
0 likes
Hammermason wrote:

Not a Topstone but a Synapse, freehub went after 3 months. According to Tredz C'dale view it as a wear and tear part, so only 30 days warranty! Maddux wheelset, same as the Topstone? Tredz were decent enough to replace foc.

That's the stuff reputations are built of. C'dale - you just can't pay for marketing like that - comes free of charge, but at great cost.

Carax replied to Hammermason | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hammermason wrote:

Ouch! Yes this is getting replaced, but it's so frustrating as a new bike is out of action. 

Carax | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cool, I'm jealous!  

Budgieman | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have a Topstone 105 AL and have done 350 miles in 6 weeks without any issues. 

Rapha Nadal replied to Budgieman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Budgieman wrote:

I have a Topstone 105 AL and have done 350 miles in 6 weeks without any issues. 

I'm looking at the Ultegra version via our C2W scheme.  What's it like?  Looking to book in a test ride with Evans soon. 

Latest Comments