Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mudgaurds

Can anyone point me in the direction of a pair of mudgaurds to fit to a 2016 Specialized Diverge? The ones I've had on there for the last 2 years have just about fallen apart, not helped beacause I had to drill holes in them as they attach directly to the underside of both the fork crown at the front and the seat stay bridge at the rear. Bi the look of the pictures I can find on line Specialized own branded gaurds have the more traditional mounting brackets which would mean I have to set about them whith a hacksaw to remove the brackets and then drill them myself.

Anyway what are your recomendations? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

IanMunro | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tried specialized plug n play? 
Not really that plug n play, more like swear and faff, but have held together for three winters so far on my diverge.

Richbeck | 4 years ago
1 like

SKS guards are the best in my experience - You will just need to set aside around 4 hours whilst you fiddle with them!

HarryTrauts | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've been using SKS Raceblades for the last couple of winters and they do a great job.  I previously had Crud Roadracers Mkii, which always needed adjustment and are a bit of a faff to fit and remove.  The Raceblades are super easy to re-fit, especially if you store them without having to loosen anything.

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

I bought SKS Longboards last week and fitted them to a Genesis frame at weekend. It was a lot of work. It didn't help that SKS had packed 5mm locking nuts for the stays but the bolts are 6mm!

Rear:

-cut out the corners to fit between the chain stays.

-the SKS metal bridge was no use because the hole in the bridge between the seat stays was vertical not horizontal. That meant drilling a hole in the mudguard after establishing EXACTLY where it needs to go. Not as easy to do as one might imagine.

Front:

- the crown of the Genesis fork has a threaded hole at the back so the right angled bracket on the mudguard was easy to fit. I'll come back to this....

- the holes for the stays in the legs of the fork are on the inside, several inches up from the axel. This feature meant that the mudguard stays had to be cut to different lengths and bent at the ends to fit through the metal brackets on the mudguard.

- leaving the house for the first test failed when the mudflap caught on the doorstep and pulled the mudguard off the stays. Two problems here: standard M6 nuts do not tighten up properly like the ones that SKS failed to supply and the mudflap is too low when mounting at the back of the fork crown.

- to raise the mudflap I drilled out the rivets holding the angle bracket and rivetted it back on about 2 inches further back.

- moving the bracket necessitated shortening all 4 stays again and resetting the angle at the ends.

Finally, I was able to test the mudguards on a wet ride yesterday. They do a good job. The extra mudflap on the longboards (front) really do keep your shoes dry. I can't say how effective the rear one is because I was on my own. The only minor problem to resolve is the front mudguard hits my shoe in a tight turn so I will have to move it closer to the tyre. 

Michael Scott | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mudgaurds ???!

srchar replied to Michael Scott | 4 years ago
2 likes

Michael Scott wrote:

Mudgaurds ???!

TheBillder | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ah, just had to drill SKS Longboards to fit to the fork crown myself. I used a washer to try to spread the load when fitting, but it seemed as if I was drilling through the metallic part of the sandwich construction, which makes me a little less worried.

Might it be possible to reinforce the hole area with Meccano style metal strips, thus spreading the load rather further? And perhaps a thin rubber washer between guard and fork to reduce vibration? Also a cleanly drilled hole helps as a properly round hole is less prone to cracks starting.

dogenzenji | 4 years ago
0 likes

Flinger Race Pro Clip Mudguards

In my opinion, the only potential problem is the maximum tire size they cover is 25mm. That's the max for my frame so not an issue for me but may be for you.

dogenzenji replied to dogenzenji | 4 years ago
0 likes

dogenzenji wrote:

Flinger Race Pro Clip Mudguards

In my opinion, the only potential problem is the maximum tire size they cover is 25mm. That's the max for my frame so not an issue for me but may be for you.

Just realized the 2016 Diverge is equipped with disk brakes whereas these mudguards are designed to be mounted on rim brake frames. Never mind these then. Only other mudguards I've had experience with are the Crud Roadracer MK3 which though very fiddly, I would recommend for road riding, but not gravel.

Latest Comments