Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ST-R785 nameplate fixing screw

Whilst bleeding my hydraulics (replaced the rear caliper) I very carefully removed the tiny nameplate fixing screw with a magnet and carefully put it onto my metal work tray. I thought "I always lose these tiny screws so I'll keep it on the magnet", but as I put it down, the magnet flipped over and catapulted the screw somewhere!

So, I've got my brake working again and clipped the nameplate back on, but thought that I should be able to pick up another screw easily enough. After a bit of searching, I've found this: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-str785-name-plate-fixing-screw-left-y07r98020/

Does anyone happen to know the fixing screw size so that I can get a similar one without buying the nameplate as well?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Quick update - I think I've found out why Shimano go for flat-head screws as the hex head screws must have a larger head and won't fit. I might just try filing them down or possibly forget about replacing the lost one.

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

With 8 spares you can be slap dash with your hex keys too!

PP

hawkinspeter replied to Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

With 8 spares you can be slap dash with your hex keys too!

PP

There's an even chance that I'll forget where the spares are and lose them, only to find them several months later.

Pilot Pete replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

There's an even chance that I'll forget where the spares are and lose them, only to find them several months later.

Im with you there brother - I forgot I’d bought spare brake pads which were on the shelf in the garage and went and bought a pair when the current ones had worn out....and didn’t ride the bike for four days until the new ones had turned up and I’d fitted them...after which I find the spares!!! 

PP

emjay49 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Lost mine as well. Never really bothered to replace them as the plate just clicked back in.

hawkinspeter replied to emjay49 | 4 years ago
0 likes

emjay49 wrote:

Lost mine as well. Never really bothered to replace them as the plate just clicked back in.

Yeah, the nameplate doesn't seem to actually need the screw, but to me it's more about annoyance than anything else. At least with hex head screws, I can think that I'm tarting up my bike even though the screw's totally hidden.

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
3 likes
hawkinspeter replied to Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/countersunk-flat-head-screws/5972-SFK-M3-4-A2?...

18p each......but £2.95 postage!

PP

Thanks. I just found a pack of 10 with hex heads for £1.35 (including delivery) on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M2-M2-5-M3-M4-Metric-Socket-Countersunk-Screws-A2-Stainless-Bolt-CSK-Allen/292201194563

Butty | 4 years ago
2 likes

It's an M3 x 4mm countersunk bolt. Head diam is 4mm for slotted (why?!?) screwdrivers

hawkinspeter replied to Butty | 4 years ago
0 likes

Butty wrote:

It's an M3 x 4mm countersunk bolt. Head diam is 4mm for slotted (why?!?) screwdrivers

Nice one - thanks very much.

Latest Comments

• Steve Williams 1 sec ago

Personally I find have my arms wider just makes it that little bit easier to breathe - I wonder if others do too? Got to love the toe clips, 5mm...

• mattw 21 min 30 sec ago

The road is an in-out No Motor Vehicles Except Access loop with no vehicle access in the middle of the loop ie effectively a crescent....

• cyclisto 39 min 40 sec ago

I understand that if it is on sale, most likely it will be sold. I am just trying to understand its benefits....

• DJameson 47 min 47 sec ago

My regular Aldi is urban, and the bike racks are heavily used and fantastic. I appreciate that they're right outside the plate glass, so any...

• Rendel Harris 54 min 46 sec ago

So, just as an example, what had five-month-old twins Naeim and Wissam Abu Anza, killed in an Israeli airstrike on a civilian house, done in their...

• Rod Marton 1 hour 17 min ago

The good news is that GWR no longer insist on bike bookings. Though this doesn't solve all the other issues with carrying bikes on GWR trains....

• Steve K 1 hour 50 min ago

On the subject of other vehicles blocking cycle lanes, there is a point on the Croydon Tram between Waddon and West Croydon where it is designed in...

• daccordimark 2 hours 3 min ago

I've had one of these since November and agree it's good value for money. For me, the ride is a bit harsh and I can't really detect any comfort...

• mark1a 2 hours 33 min ago

I tried something similar with some timber and a pair of Delta hitches, with (unlike yourself) limited success, and so for people like myself with...

• David9694 12 hours 38 min ago

You and a friend have won first prize, a day out at Diddly Squat Farm.