Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless failure - tape recs?

Front wheel tyre failed topping it up whilst on the turbo. Many frustrating hours later after resolving to start again discovered a hole in the rim tape above a spoke hole. Both front and rear wheels have lied dormant for 10 months due to a crash and turbo use, and was very surprised to find a healthy amount of sealant in both. After checking the rear wheel the tape was intact but a little soft near one spoke hole. Sounds probable to me that the tape has 'wetted out' where it has been sat in sealant in the same place for so long. Is that likely and happened to anyone else?

I'd gone the cheapo route in using kapton tape, however it was fine being set up and in use. I'm hesitant to use it again though mindful that perhaps any tape would fail being sat in liquid for the best part of a year. Regardless, learnt my lesson and started to use an old wheel with a tube for the turbo.

Anyone have any rim tape recommendations? (17mm id rims)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

longassballs | 4 years ago
0 likes

Completely forgot about this!

Thanks for the advice all. I have actually set up tubeless numerous times, but few on road rims, and wondered if there was any new-fangled tape de rigueur with those in the know. Kapton tape seemed to be popular a few years ago now but gone out of fashion. At least it was a cheap failure. What's funny is the tape failed on the first spoke hole past the valve so there was actually THREE layers of tape on that point!

Guess I'll just go with Stan's

@hawkinspeter: I thought you were supposed to use tape either the internal width or not much bigger, much like Spangly Shiny above recommended 20mm tape for 17mm id. I'd say you were using tape too wide - but I'm no expert and if it works it works

hawkinspeter replied to longassballs | 4 years ago
1 like

longassballs wrote:

Completely forgot about this! Thanks for the advice all. I have actually set up tubeless numerous times, but few on road rims, and wondered if there was any new-fangled tape de rigueur with those in the know. Kapton tape seemed to be popular a few years ago now but gone out of fashion. At least it was a cheap failure. What's funny is the tape failed on the first spoke hole past the valve so there was actually THREE layers of tape on that point! Guess I'll just go with Stan's @hawkinspeter: I thought you were supposed to use tape either the internal width or not much bigger, much like Spangly Shiny above recommended 20mm tape for 17mm id. I'd say you were using tape too wide - but I'm no expert and if it works it works

Next time I get some, I'll try the thinner tape and see if it's easier.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Stans tape two layers will prevent rim blow out permanently

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

I must admit to being confused about rim measurements and which tape size to go for. I've got Prime RP50 wheels which are listed as 16.5mm internal and 25.00mm external, so I went with the 25-29mm tape. The tape seems to fit really well as it sits across the edge of the rims until it's pulled tight against the rim bed, so it more or less covers the entire width.

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
1 like

For a 17mm ID rim use 20mm tape. Any of the tubeless specific tapes will do. Pull tightly on the tape and feed it into the wheel well as you go. Give it two full turns around the rim starting and finishing opposite the valve hole.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

Haven't heard of that happening.

I've got a MTB that only gets occasional use these days and I don't get any problems with that apart from needing inflation.

I use CaffeLatex tape: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-mariposa-caffelatex-tubeless-tape/

I went for the medium size which will probably be about right for your rims, though I don't know for sure.

It's like a plastic film that doesn't seem to stretch very much so I guess it shouldn't have a problem with being sat in sealant. I tend to use a couple of layers as I don't get the rims completely clean before applying which is probably not the best way to do it.

Latest Comments