Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Longest Feasible Commute

What's the longest feasible commute? My current run in to work is 10.2 miles door to door.  I do that between three and five times a week, giving me between 61 and 102 miles a week.  We're moving outside the M25 in a couple of weeks, and although I've not done the run yet, Google Maps says 22 miles door to door, or 44 miles per day.  Five days a week, that would of course be 220 miles a week, which I guess some of you probably do.  For context: 52 years old, big bloke but moobs and a slight paunch are part of my world.  Legs are strong enough, and lungs can cope with the current commute without any problems.  Would it be a case of building up to it, or maybe do half of the journey by train?  Are there any of you who do that many miles?  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

CAF2012 | 4 years ago
0 likes

For routing, it can be useful to check Strava's heatmap - for anything around London/M25 etc, it's pretty clear where people are cycling. Not guaranteed to be lovely routes but probably not revolting. 

I ride 22 miles in when the weather isn't too foul. I leave early (6am) because I prefer quieter roads and take the train home, as I'm in by 7:30 I then get the train home before 4pm or after 7pm (cycles aren't allowed on my line (Thameslink) between 4pm and 7pm). Depends on what I've got to do, being self-employed does give me the luxury of some flexibility. 

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have two lights front and back, one each with li ion which get charged at home or work as necessary, and one each that takes regular rechargeables. I also keep a full complement of alkaline batteries in my bag. Belt and braces and three sets of pants.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
0 likes

For routing, I don't think there is one platform that does it all. Komoot probably gets closest. But a combination of that along with Ride with GPS, CycleStreets, Google Streetview/Satellite view to check road classification, and crucially, cross-checking against the Strava Heatmap https://www.strava.com/heatmap#11.44/-0.09951/51.52752/hot/all

With that length of commute, you ought to be able to get a bit of variation with a few different route options to keep things fresh.

Shouldbeinbed | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yep as others have said, it's doable and will probably become an enjoyable hour or so bookend to each day. My longest commute was a downhill in, uphill home 18 across Manchester and it both set me up and wound me down mentally for the bit in the middle.

Just take getting into doing it at your own rate and treat it as the fun bit of the day, if it gets to be a chore or if you just fancy a day or two or... off riding then no biggie.

If it's a nice sunny evening & you've nowt pressing then you'll find having 40 odd miles a day in your legs means you can follow your nose for a few hours and have a nice evenings pootle without breaking much sweat.

jbw118 | 4 years ago
1 like

Perfectly doable, from personal experience always have enough food or money for food for the return journey. Nothing worse that literally running on empty on the way home! The man with the hammer can hit you pretty hard!

Oldfatgit | 4 years ago
1 like

Last year I got the wife to run me in to work - 35 miles one way - on  friday during the school holidays and I'd cycle home.

I was looking at train + bike - would be around 15 miles cycle - each way as a doable option (We have showers in the office) outside of the school holidays.

Circumstances beyond my control (an octagenarian Mondeo driver) unfortuately put paid to my plans before I could fully test them out.

I'm nearly 50, and at the time around the 16 stone mark. Was cycling 120 - 150 miles a week on  club rides and wanted to shift weight, get the blood pressure down and spend the time unwinding from work - it would take me about 2 hours 30 mins to do the 35 miles, which I thought was too much. The younger, fitter 20mph average guys would have no problem with it - open roads, a few steep hills, mainly villages to go through; easy cycling compaired to a city.

Kendalred | 4 years ago
1 like

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/redshark-water-bike

Gravesend to The City? How about this? And I guarantee you'll not be close-passed once!

[Image result for water bicycle]

ktache | 4 years ago
4 likes

My routes have always developed over time.

To start off with it tends to be the most direct, then I will add in scenery and nature and remove nastier bits of roads and juctions.  So often longer and slower but somewhat nicer.

cycle.london | 4 years ago
0 likes

I love the advice being dispensed here, you're top lads (and ladies).  I just realised on the way into work this morning, that my original question raises another one.  When you move to a new location, how do you plan your route, on roads that you've never driven, let alone cycled?   In the past, I've tried google maps, ride with GPS, Strava, Garmin BaseCamp, God knows what else.  Too often, I'll end up cycling along the M20.... or I would, if I'd followed the route. 

FYI: I'm doing Gravesend to Bank Junction. 

cougie replied to cycle.london | 4 years ago
1 like

cycle.london wrote:

I love the advice being dispensed here, you're top lads (and ladies).  I just realised on the way into work this morning, that my original question raises another one.  When you move to a new location, how do you plan your route, on roads that you've never driven, let alone cycled?   In the past, I've tried google maps, ride with GPS, Strava, Garmin BaseCamp, God knows what else.  Too often, I'll end up cycling along the M20.... or I would, if I'd followed the route. 

Google street view and Google maps should sort out most things I'd have thought.

There's also a sustrans map that might be worth looking at.

But whatever I'd do a test run before needing to do it on a work day. You don't want to get lost or find a problem on the route. 

cycle.london replied to cougie | 4 years ago
0 likes

cougie wrote:

cycle.london wrote:

Google street view and Google maps should sort out most things I'd have thought.

There's also a sustrans map that might be worth looking at.

But whatever I'd do a test run before needing to do it on a work day. You don't want to get lost or find a problem on the route. 

Looks like there is a sustrans route,  but it heads south before following the A296.  I'll check out whether that's worth the extra distance. 

Shades replied to cycle.london | 4 years ago
1 like

cycle.london wrote:

CycleStreets has served me pretty well; provides a 'Quietest', 'Balanced' and 'Fastest' route.  Sometimes worth just scrutinising a section of a route; did that on a regular commute (that I'd been doing for years) and it found me an excellent quiet suburban shortcut that was a mile shorter than the bike path (which it always suggested when you looked at the whole route).

crazy-legs replied to cycle.london | 4 years ago
2 likes

cycle.london wrote:

I'd break it down into chunks rather than try to calculate the whole thing in one go. Chances are there are bits of it you already know, especially in London? For the London bits, try and find a CSH. CS3 comes in from Barking and Q1 from Greenwich depending on where you want to cross the river on your way into Bank.

Then work out options around you - maybe a local cycling club can help with a quiet route from Gravesend to maybe Dartford, perhaps there are some options from Dartford to (say) Bexleyheath and so on. Work it in portions.

Note that various route planning apps / websites will send you different ways. Strava will use popularity so if you happen to go near a local TT course along a dual carriageway, it may well send you down there simply because it's "popular" in terms of it being ridden hundreds of times. Doesn't mean it's any good though! Sustrans will forever be trying to put you onto a Sustrans path, even if that path has anti-motorbike barriers every few meters and is under a foot of mud for 9 months of the year. Some cycle computers, depending on their settings, may try and re-route you onto bridleways, cyclepaths as well so check that.

I like to segment the route so insetad of doing a massive 25 mile "create a route", I get maybe five times 5-mile segments, each allowing me to tweak bits of it without affecting the rest. Problem is if you select "quietest" for a 25-mile stretch, it'll end up being 35 miles as it tries to find every single quiet bit. Might be better off finding a "quiet" 5 miles then accepting as you get into town you just want to go "quickest" and segmenting the route allows you to do that. Then check out any major junctions on Google Streetview and see if you fancy riding them!

Riding the route on a weekend will really help visualise it and it's good to take an A-Z (you know, one of those old fashioned things made of paper...) as a back up to help you see surrounding streets in detail. Sometimes a route planning app will do a right round-the-houses thing to go half a mile and looking on the A-Z gives you a better overall view than a 2" Garmin screen. When I first started on an old route, the planning said to go on a "cycle path" through some council playing fields. Turned out that was slow, unlit, full of the local yoof and dogwalkers and actually it was only marginally shorter than just staying on the road and accepting the traffic.

OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
1 like

I used to do 13 miles/day which included some of Edinburgh's longest and steepest hills. That was hard work.

For a long time I rode 10 miles in the morning and 10 miles in the evening across London each day. That was ok, particularly in the summer evenings with a gentle pedal across Hyde park.

My current workplace is 17 miles away but unfortunately, there's no good cycling route of that length. The quickest route goes via the A2, which is not the best for cycling (though I do see some guys trundling along the hard shoulder from time to time - not my idea of fun). I'd have to take a big detour, about 20 miles according got the tacho on my motorbike, and that includes two long, steep climbs in the morning. 

Judge dreadful | 4 years ago
0 likes

I used to do 15 miles each way, 4 times a week, and that was about as far as I would want to commute regularly, more due to the 15 miles back, after a day at w**k was a work up I could do without. I did a 'super commute' twice, because there was a railway strike, and that was 75 miles each way. To be fair, it was only on 2 occasions, and it was hell.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Do it often.

I'm no teacher, I haven't ridden two weeks buti haven't excuse.

I prefer days I ride. Warms well being. Last summer I was near those miles. Although a 7km ride direct, when work days were near or less than 12 hours detour home via a climb and descent would increase mileage with 30-60 km detours.
When younger I often commuted 100km daily but weather might be different. Middle of day gets hot, blows tyres and burns skin. When a postman I'd ride 20-30km to work prior train schedules and catch a couple of trains home during midday.
Best luck man. Bicycle commuting is what I enjoy too.

Roadrider75 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd say it's doable but maybe start off with 2 or 3 days per week and work upwards if that's an option. How different will the roads be in terms of traffic and lumpiness.

Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've got a 17 mile (each way) commute; pretty much flat and mainly bike path. I've mixed it up over the years; train in/bike home, all cycle and half drive/half cycle (van makes that easy).  I drive in Fri as the traffic is quieter. I guess for me it's time (incl showering at work and work day) and how tired I get when I may want to ride at the weekend.  Winter always seems like really hard work and longer; winter bike, dark, more kit on, windy etc and the risk of icy paths, so my half drive/half cycle option works well.  I normally ride pretty hard and it's the one time I'd really like a super-light bike; some people I know just stick to a steadier pace that they can maintain day in day out and accept the time penalty.  Got an idea to 'borrow' (if a bike shop agreed to it) a decent e bike for a week and see what the times are like (all cycle); use the e bike for winter, headwind and 'too tired' days, and road bike for days when I want to get some fitness riding in. I'm mid 50s and 85kg; everyone's different as I know people who can maintain a blistering pace every day, just not me!

crazy-legs | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've done 25 miles each way on an occasional basis in the past (it was 1 or 2 days a week when I'd be working at an alternative site to usual, there wasn't much of a pattern to it). Fortunately it was a really lovely commute on mostly quiet roads with several options inc canal towpaths and woodland trails.

It depends a lot on the route (busy main roads, quiet lanes, hilly, flat etc), what bike you're on (e-bike??), how much stuff you have to carry and (most importantly I'd hazard) the facilities available at the workplace to shower, change, hang kit up, store the bike safely etc.

My current job, I have a very easy straightforward commute but the hassle of locking the bike up (fairly secure but offsite from my workplace) and going up and down flights of steps means that although the ride itself is only 45 mins, I have to add a further 20 mins for locking up, walking, showering, changing, hanging kit up etc.

Ride the route on a weekend, see roughly how long it would take each way (it might be more uphill one way so takes longer and that needs factoring in too). See what options you might have for using off-road (towpath, cyclepath?) and where you're restricted to main roads. Having a choice of route makes a big difference. In summer / dry weather I've got the option of towpath most of the way and that's lovely (slower but nicer) but in winter, wet weather etc it's a horrible ride cos it gets really muddy.

Maybe investigate the possibility of driving half way and riding the rest or driving in/riding home/riding in/driving home or maybe there's a train option (check out weekday / rush hour restrictions on trains in and out of London). Having a train option is great if you ever need to bring a laptop back or you've ridden in and the weather is unexpectedly shit or you had a mechanical. And on the same subject, are there train stations en route that can be used in an emergency?

Kit goes without saying; you need good reliable clothing, lights and components. The bike is going to get loads of wear and tear so full mudguards, bombproof tyres and cheap kit like Tiagra whcih won't cost you loads when it wears out and won't make you cry when it's covered in a winter's worth of road grime is well worth it. Same with clothing -  it's worth considering the trade-off between a cheap jacket that does one or two seasons and can be binned or something that you hope to last years but which costs a fortune. A couple of smaller lights are better than one big one, you need some back-up.

Hope all that is useful.

Kendalred | 4 years ago
2 likes

I'm 23 miles in, then perhaps 25 miles back (depending on specific route). South Cumbria coast to the heart of the Lakes, so not flat by any stretch. I usually manage it three times a week (bottled it this am, howling winds and lashing rain!).

49 y/o (50 next April).

For me it's as much to do with my mood/wellbeing than fitness. I hate driving to work, especially this time of year, there's no public transport between home and the office (imagine that Londoners!) so even if I do get a bit knackered, at least I feel better mentally.

Do it!

cycle.london replied to Kendalred | 4 years ago
1 like

Kendalred wrote:

I'm 23 miles in, then perhaps 25 miles back (depending on specific route). South Cumbria coast to the heart of the Lakes, so not flat by any stretch. I usually manage it three times a week (bottled it this am, howling winds and lashing rain!).

49 y/o (50 next April).

For me it's as much to do with my mood/wellbeing than fitness. I hate driving to work, especially this time of year, there's no public transport between home and the office (imagine that Londoners!) so even if I do get a bit knackered, at least I feel better mentally.

Do it!

London's transport network is one of the reasons I cycle at the moment. The network might be dense, but Southeastern must be one of the worst, greediest crowd of useless bastards on the planet.    If 59 seconds is the threshold after which their trains can be classed 'late', then 100% of my trains into London and back home, are late.  Every.  Single.  One. 

Arranged to meet the missus at Cannon Street station last night.  She got there, and the concourse was packed to the gunwhales.  What a surprise - delays. 

Still, we just headed off to Nando's for a scoff.   All good.  

HLaB | 4 years ago
1 like

A face book friend of mine commutes 27 miles (54 miles round) over the Campsies.

Ive still not done the full commute at my current place, about 42 miles one way (too many things have got in the way) preffering timewise to drive 26miles park up and cycle the last 16 miles.  My commute (unlike the Campsies) is completely flat though.  I did the drive/cycle thing on my previous commute too.

On an older commute I did the train morning (no showers) and cycle back thing.

I'd give the commute a go and look into alternatives and see how you can brake it up (drive/train/cycle) so that on winter days it still an enjoyable alternative.  Good luck  1

cycle.london | 4 years ago
4 likes

Hey folks. 

Brilliant advice here, many thanks.  

No new bike happening any time soon.  It's not a new job, per se.  I was staring down the barrel of redundancy, until I got wind of, and applied for, a sideways shift within the same company.  Got the job, but the big thing is that unlike my previous role within this company (see my forum posts from a while back), they won't let me work from home habitually.   I shouldn't complain, as being in the office is very beneficial for my mental issues.  

So that, and the move to the new house, mean that I'm going to be spending a lot on travel on the train.   

But I'm encouraged by the responses here.  

I'm going to wait until we're in the new place, and then cycle through to the office on a weekend.  I think at first, the single speed will be staying at home!   1

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
1 like
cougie | 4 years ago
3 likes

Forget what google maps says - go ride the route of a weekend and see what it's like. 

I do think going straight to 5 days would be too much - so you could aim to phase the rides in.  

I'd want a proper winter bike. Full guards, bombproof tyres and 2 sets of lights front and rear. 

Have fun.  It's probably not that much longer than driving. 

cycle.london replied to cougie | 4 years ago
1 like

cougie wrote:

Forget what google maps says - go ride the route of a weekend and see what it's like. 

I do think going straight to 5 days would be too much - so you could aim to phase the rides in.  

I'd want a proper winter bike. Full guards, bombproof tyres and 2 sets of lights front and rear. 

Have fun.  It's probably not that much longer than driving. 

I've got 2 x Cateye 800 on the front.  On flashing mode, they typically last a fortnight, when I do the current ten mile ride.  On the back, I have a Cycliq Fly6 and a Cateye, the model of which I can no longer find on their site. 

A set of removable mudguards are all I have, 'cos let's face it, the shape of a steel, 'diamond' frame bike is one of the most beautiful things in existsnece, so why would I soil it with permanent mudguards?  1

Tyres are Schwalbe Durano Plus front and rear, and I carry two tubes with me.

DaxPlusPlus | 4 years ago
0 likes

Oh and I built up to this level of fitness over years - can't say really how long it took but it was definitely measured in years rather than weeks or months. Obviously everyone is different and the amount of effort you put in during a commute can make a huge difference to the fatigue generated.

DaxPlusPlus | 4 years ago
2 likes

As someone has already said - it's not the mileage more the amount of time it takes that's the real, ultimate limiter.

As for the physical demands - it depends on the the route and whether you can keep your effort down to a sustainable\repeatable level on your ride.

I'm 52 and cycle over 50 miles a day with 2700 feet of climbing. I tend to cycle 4 days a week but have done 5 days a week - but honestly I prefer having a day off, especially since I switched to single speed. The problem with the single speed is that I can't keep my effort levels low on the hills and that has an effect over the week. The reason for switching to single speed? I was tired of all the maintance that my geared bikes tended to generate when covering approx 800-1000 miles a month. My disc braked, single speed is awesome to ride, is quiet and has so little maintance in comparison - I love it heart

Perhaps another point to consider; If you have to commute every day then I would seriously look at getting an eBike - the only reason I havent done so myself is I can work from home  when ever I like so I can take a break when I feel I need it. 

grumpyoldcyclist | 4 years ago
3 likes

Sounds like you're already a committed cycle commuter, so do it. Like others have said, perhaps not every day, certainly at the start, and perhaps build up to it, train one way, cycle home. If you can leave your bike at work dry & secure, how abour ride in, train home and back to work, ride home?

I do a fairly regular 13 miles each way pretty much five days a week, but in the summer will sometimes extend the ride in to 17 miles and the ride home up to 25, depends on available time. Strong winds and ice are the biggest enemies, but I still keep going at 63 so must be doing something right. Sometimes cringe at the thought of going out the door in the dark and cold, but miss it loads if I don't.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
6 likes

@stratman - yep, I really miss the thinking time. Used to arrive at work with a bunch of ideas or use it for planning out my day's tasks. And on the way home in the dark (at least where I was riding) it was just me and the bike, great de-pressurisation. Really is awesome for mental health.

Pages

Latest Comments