Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Longest Feasible Commute

What's the longest feasible commute? My current run in to work is 10.2 miles door to door.  I do that between three and five times a week, giving me between 61 and 102 miles a week.  We're moving outside the M25 in a couple of weeks, and although I've not done the run yet, Google Maps says 22 miles door to door, or 44 miles per day.  Five days a week, that would of course be 220 miles a week, which I guess some of you probably do.  For context: 52 years old, big bloke but moobs and a slight paunch are part of my world.  Legs are strong enough, and lungs can cope with the current commute without any problems.  Would it be a case of building up to it, or maybe do half of the journey by train?  Are there any of you who do that many miles?  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

Stratman | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm currently off the bike due to an unrelated neck problem, but I've been riding between 23 and 26 miles each way for the last 6 years or so (I'm 55 now).  The longer distance is flatter, and I've generally managed 4-5 days per week, driven by times when I'm not in the office.  It generally takes me about 1 1/2 hours, and I too don't have a shower at the end, just a stand up wash.  Very high winds and ice will keep me off, but otherwise it's all weathers with good kit.  I have second breakfast when I get in, and also have mid afternoon and pre-ride snacks.

It took me a few months to get to 5 days per week, I set a target of riding every month, which proved too easy, and so moved to every week and then most days.

I find it quite productive too, it can be good thinking time.

Give it a go

gmac101 | 4 years ago
3 likes

My colleague has done 25 miles each way for a number of years (15?) though he his now in his mid 50's and does occassionaly take a day off.  I used to sit next to him and his thighs are vey impressive and he does start eating about 3pm ready for the trip home.  He has no paunch or moobs

kil0ran | 4 years ago
2 likes

That was exactly my commute. It's very doable, even for someone like me who is pretty similar to you. Budget two hours each way - if you've got the time to spend then it's completely possible. This time of year though you're going to be doing most of it in the dark - which I always enjoyed but I had very rural roads or cycle paths to ride on.

However, in my experience I just didn't have the time to do it - family commitments and the like. I'm guessing it might be different for you just because of the circle of hell that is London's transport network. If I'd been single without a young son I'd have done it every day. As it was I used to chop it in half by driving 10 miles or so and dumping the car in a random layby. If you have access to a car it's a really good option - not least because you can vary your starting point according to weather and it stops the route getting too boring.

If you are going to do it budget for dyno lights or an extra set of battery lights (or even two sets). One at home, one at work, one on the bike - by the time you've done that you'll probably find that dyno lighting is cheaper. Keeping lights charged for 3+ hours riding per day is a right chore.

matthewn5 replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

If you are going to do it budget for dyno lights or an extra set of battery lights (or even two sets). One at home, one at work, one on the bike - by the time you've done that you'll probably find that dyno lighting is cheaper. Keeping lights charged for 3+ hours riding per day is a right chore.

Exactly this. Dynamo lights are a must, invest in a decent front light with a properly shaped beam like a B&M Luxos/Cyo/Eyc or a Son Edelux. You'll need the extra light and never run out of batteries.

CyclingInBeastMode replied to matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

Exactly this. Dynamo lights are a must, invest in a decent front light with a properly shaped beam like a B&M Luxos/Cyo/Eyc or a Son Edelux. You'll need the extra light and never run out of batteries.

Effective dynamo lighting is NEVER cheaper, it's also inflexible if you have other bikes, having to then buy another battery light set or two as a just in case rather proves the point.

My own battery light set runs 14 hours on high which is good for mid 30mph in totally unlit conditions, 30 hours on the low setting which is fine for 20mph unlit conditions. The cost compared to an equivalent dynamo plus dyno specific wheel is massively in favour of having a seperate light, I use high end rechargeables but total cost even including a digital charger is less than one decent Dyno light.

A Li-ion internal battery light can be just as effective, having to charge your light at work or at home is just like charging your phone.

crazy-legs replied to CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
0 likes

CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

A Li-ion internal battery light can be just as effective, having to charge your light at work or at home is just like charging your phone.

I used to keep spare charging cables at work - being in a desk-based role I set a calendar alert on my computer to pop up about 10am saying "charge lights?"

That way if I'd forgotten to get them off the bike when I arrived at work, I could just nip down to the bike store. you can guess why I set that reminder up - that sinking feeling as you get to the bike at the end of the day and realise you're on the last remnants of battery!

Dynamo does do away with that but as mentioned above, they're very inflexible and you still need back-ups. Apart from that one incident, I've always been fine with battery lights and becasue they get swapped around between bikes, it's what suits me and my commute.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
2 likes

If you want to keep your jobseekers allowance, you better be prepared to travel up to 90 minutes each way to whatever inappropriate job they send you details of.

Rod Marton | 4 years ago
0 likes

My longest cycle commute was 18 miles each way, and this was certainly not a problem to do every day of the week. However it was a quiet and flat route, and really rather pleasant to ride. However at the beginning I certainly noticed the difference over the previous 10 mile commute, but your fitness level increases and you become accustomed to it.

In short I'd say that 22 miles is quite doable, but don't get too hung up about it if you can't do it every day of the week.

the little onion | 4 years ago
0 likes

Do it, but feel free to take time to build up the days gradually, and build up your fitness and mental fortitude. Invest in good lights etc that will do a full there-and-back, etc.

I do a hilly 12 miles each way, but at the moment only do that twice a week. I used to do it about 4 times, with no problems. 

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
6 likes

Do it. Smaller moobs and paunch will result. Unless you immediately replenish with lard and ale.

Fishpastesarnie | 4 years ago
3 likes

I was doing a commute of this distance last year. Most of it was flattish apart from some hills near to the work end (Brighton).  I was doing about 2 days a week and found that I was permanently hungry and some days was a little tired. I am late forties and in the 90-100kg category.

The worst thing was that some days you would cycle to work into a headwind and by the end of the day the wind had shifted and you had a headwind home too.

All in all I loved it (despite some real Jeremy Hunt's in their cars/vans) at least 50% of this was off road on cycle paths of varying quality.

Edgeley replied to Fishpastesarnie | 4 years ago
1 like

Fishpastesarnie wrote:

I was doing a commute of this distance last year. Most of it was flattish apart from some hills near to the work end (Brighton).  I was doing about 2 days a week and found that I was permanently hungry and some days was a little tired. I am late forties and in the 90-100kg category.

The worst thing was that some days you would cycle to work into a headwind and by the end of the day the wind had shifted and you had a headwind home too.

All in all I loved it (despite some real Jeremy Hunt's in their cars/vans) at least 50% of this was off road on cycle paths of varying quality.

I used to do a similar commute,sometimes adding an extra bit on the way home for fun.  Hills carrying a back pack are good exercise.  Too true about the wind changig direction during the day..........The other horrible thing was if clothes and shoes were still wet when it was time to put them on again in the evening.  Positively vile.

It was great to get exercise in as part of the daily routine.

BBB | 4 years ago
2 likes

Perfectly doable. I'm in mid forties and currently commuting 42m round trip 6 times a week.
Good reliable equipment is crucial; sensibly specced bike with proper full length mudguards, best clothes, powerful lights etc...

CyclingInBeastMode replied to BBB | 4 years ago
3 likes

BBB wrote:

Perfectly doable. I'm in mid forties and currently commuting 42m round trip 6 times a week.
Good reliable equipment is crucial; sensibly specced bike with proper full length mudguards, best clothes, powerful lights etc...

We are all different, just because you are mid 40s doeasn't indicate anything, the distance is very significant and it's easy for you and others to say it's "perfectly doable", however it's a big challenge, even twice a week IMO. That equates to 4x a week in miles, but it's really not the same at all.

Also you don't need a powerful light, you ned a RELIABLE light that chucks the right beam onto the road for at least double the daily need, just in case you forget to recharge one day you're not stuffed, also a backup rear.

Ultimately I'd say ride the route on a non working day, there and back, give yourself an idea as to how much effort you're going to need to put in. Consider that there maybe days when physically you're not feeling up to or the weather is really horrible, so strategies on how to get around that.

That doubling of your journey and exposure to the weather certainly at this time of the year can make a huge difference on you physically and mentally, it can easily feel like a lot more than double the miles.

Maybe part driving in and increasing miles slowly, you mention getting a train but unless you have a fold up or there's cycle specific spaces on the train at peak times that might be tricky and you certainly don't want to be leaving a bike at a station part ways there overnight a few times a week, just asking for trouble.

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

I do very slightly less that that...normally around 4 times a week. It's certainly not a great time of year to start, but yeah, start with 2 times a week (non rainy etc days) and see how you go from there. Winter does make it a lot harder with the cold, stronger winds and with it more likely to rain - you'll need to make sure you have some decent kit, and also carry enough spares in case of punctures and mechanicals - 2 tubes + puncture repair kit, multitool and so on. And a back up plan if that fails! Oh and a couple of lights front and rear. 

You've nothing to lose and will even enjoy it more often than not...and it'll help keep the weight off and the fitness up

srchar | 4 years ago
5 likes

Definitely do-able, but you know those rides you're probably doing a lot of at the moment? Dark, cold, heavy rain, into a headwind, on roads clogged with traffic... but you just grit your teeth for half an hour and get it done? That will now be 1h15 of gritted teeth. Personally, I'd find that more of a mental challenge than a physical one; commuting inside the M25 is about as stressful as bike riding gets, for me.

I used to do a hilly 20 mile each-way commute, but I rarely managed a full five days during winter, whereas I rarely miss a ride now that my commute is half that distance. Given that you currently do 3-5 days a week, don't be surprised or disheartened to see that drop to 1-3, at least initially.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

My commute is around 22 miles, but as we don't have showers at work, I get the train in and cycle back when the weather is suitable. It takes a while to get used to cycling on consecutive days without a break, so maybe you should try getting the train in, cycle back and see how you get on.

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd say you should be able to do that twice a week from where you are now.  You will feel a lot more tired and it will feel like it takes you a long time to get used to it, but it's doable.  Do you get any other riding in, say a longer more casual ride at the weekend?

I commute two or three times a week myself, the direct route is only 7 miles but it is on a horrible road, so I do 10-15 miles on the country lanes.  It's much nicer and you get more training out of it too.

I did the commute to Sutton from home a couple of times - 44 miles each way! It took me about 2.5 hours, we didn't start work til 9.30 so I could get up at 6 and still have some extra time for emergencies or mechanicals.  Only in the summer though, I don't mind riding in the dark but 90 minutes is about the most.

Pages

Latest Comments