Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dodgy pop up ads have returned to the site

Hi Road.cc...it seems you have an occurance of that dodgy pop up thing that tells you to click as you've been especially selected to win something. You can't get rid of them without closing the whole tab.

I've seen this on both Mac OSX Chrome and on my Android phone.

I remember this happening a lot a while back, due to something dodgy in your ad system?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

TheFatAndTheFurious | 4 years ago
1 like

The ad experience on my Safari install (no ad-block) is now such that the site is literally unusable. 

The adverts simply hijack the page after just a few seconds, navigating me away from this site entirely. Today it was a "Mac OS Virus Scan - VIRUS DETECTED" simulation, and a "777 Gambling" site. 

In order to have enough time to post this comment, I've had to go to Chrome and AdBlock. 

If the ad exchange can't stop these rogue ads coming in, it's time to change exchange and impact their revenue as incentive for them to block this crap.

Alternatively, do you have a whitelisting option, or maybe accept a narrower range of advertisers from industries less likely to draw in spammers?

Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
4 likes

@devon_tri You seem to be an expert on all this web stuff, but when it comes to how free to accewss websites pay for themselves you've obviously reached the limits of your expertise. 
The ads do pay for the site. No ads = no site. Simple as that. The ads even enable us to give a platform to experts like yourself to give the rest of us the benefit of your …expertise.

devon__tri replied to Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
1 like

Tony Farrelly wrote:

@devon_tri You seem to be an expert on all this web stuff, but when it comes to how free to accewss websites pay for themselves you've obviously reached the limits of your expertise. 
The ads do pay for the site. No ads = no site. Simple as that. The ads even enable us to give a platform to experts like yourself to give the rest of us the benefit of your …expertise.

You're right, I am priveleged enough to use my expertise to work and design UX on websites that don't rely on the increasingly outdated web model of click bait articles to generate income.

You've got my email address.

You're welcome.

Tony Farrelly replied to devon__tri | 4 years ago
0 likes
devon__tri wrote:

Tony Farrelly wrote:

You're right, I am priveleged enough to use my expertise to work and design UX on websites that don't rely on the increasingly outdated web model of click bait articles to generate income.

You're welcome.

LoL

Rick_Rude replied to Tony Farrelly | 4 years ago
1 like

Tony Farrelly wrote:
devon__tri wrote:

Tony Farrelly wrote:

You're welcome.

LoL

Maybe he's got a point? I don't really bother looking at this place on my mobile as stuff does pop up, take nearly the entire screen when I try to post or redirect, so why bother.

hughw | 4 years ago
0 likes

that's great, but 

A) the ads support the site

B) that's not much use on my iPhone

devon__tri replied to hughw | 4 years ago
0 likes

hughw wrote:

that's great, but 

Not on 4G no, but you can set up Host file blocking at the router level ( albeit a little bit more advanced) which will mean all devices in your network aren't troubled by advertising.

Plus there are lists out there so you can (if you have a family) protect your house from Shock websites and Adult sites too.

Please don't buy into the BS that advertising support websites, it's crap and only serves to degarde the quality of the world wide web, ever been on a website that just writes Clickbait articles? Don't feed them.

You're welcome.

EddyBerckx replied to devon__tri | 4 years ago
1 like

devon__tri wrote:

hughw wrote:

that's great, but 

Not on 4G no, but you can set up Host file blocking at the router level ( albeit a little bit more advanced) which will mean all devices in your network aren't troubled by advertising.

Plus there are lists out there so you can (if you have a family) protect your house from Shock websites and Adult sites too.

Please don't buy into the BS that advertising support websites, it's crap and only serves to degarde the quality of the world wide web, ever been on a website that just writes Clickbait articles? Don't feed them.

You're welcome.

A) Most people are not gonna wanna copy something from the internet and do some (to them) voodoo magic they really don't understand.

B) The ads, it is a revenue stream alongside the 'click here to buy' links that appear on the deals and reviews pages. It's an otherwise free site, I want to support them

devon__tri replied to EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

A) Most people are not gonna wanna copy something from the internet and do some (to them) voodoo magic they really don't understand.

B) The ads, it is a revenue stream alongside the 'click here to buy' links that appear on the deals and reviews pages. It's an otherwise free site, I want to support them

A) Informing people of something which they can research, learn and expand their existing digital  knowledgebase is a only ever going to be a good thing 

B) Yes it's a revenue stream do you click "Cyclist nearly hit by Truck" or "Campagnolo slightly change's Athena" don't be a mug mate block the revenue.

devon__tri | 4 years ago
0 likes

Everyone should really arm themselves against Advertisers on the internet.

You don't need to buy an adblocker...I do suggest you look into editing your 'hosts' file.

There are loads of resources of the internet

It's very simple and even if you've never written a terminal command before most people can just copy and paste the required code.

Simple put what you are doing is assigning the IP address of 127.0.0.1 (eg yourself) to the domain name that is associated with a known spammer/scammer eg ad.doubleclick.net ad2.doubleclick.net so the adverts just don't even show up at all. It will speed up browsing significantly and because you're not using an adblock you don't get the annoying "hey we noticed you're using an adblocker, we won't let you see the site till you disabled it because we're a bunch A-Holes" messages that some sites employ, because they somehow are mistaken in suggesting people should pay for "content".

Road.cc no pop ups, no adverts...

hughw | 4 years ago
1 like

yeah, had an "amazon" one a couple of times this weekend on my phone

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

will do!

dave atkinson | 4 years ago
0 likes

it's spammers getting in through the exchanges generally. if you see another post a grab here if possible, and the click through link is really helpful. it's a bit cat-and-mouse, sometimes they pop up and we have to find them and ban them.

Latest Comments