Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"Plain" Ultegra or DI2?

Hi everybody.

I wonder if anyone can clarify a doubt I have: I'm currently the happy owner of a Canyon Grail (the one with the "peculiar" handlebar). Great gravel bike.

What I'd like to understand is, would it be worth it to re-sell it (NO loss) and spend 400euros more to get a DI2?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
2 likes

I had Ultegra Di2 and it was faultless and easy to set up. Ran it all winter in '16/'17 with zero issues.

But, I didn't need it, and now enjoy the satisfaction of setting up mechanical shifting, replacing cables, etc. 

I guess it comes down to time vs money. Cabling and setting up shifting takes time, whereas Di2 is fit and forget.

Mybike | 4 years ago
0 likes

I made the switch to di2. And it is so much better as simple as it my seem there is a world of a difference. Easy to install set up yourself

VeloUSA | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've been on Di2 since 2015 and would never EVER go back to mechanical. It's like switching to an SSD drive on my laptop from an old HDD disc drive. Night and day difference and worth every penny.

I ride 150-200 miles every week. A tap of the button puts the chain smack dead center of the cog each and every time - same goes for the front chainrings. There are no misshifts, no cable stretching, no cable retensioning, no cable to replace due to broken strands. My only maintenance is charging the battery every 3-4 months when hits 74% charge left. Takes around 20-30 minutes too.

The only folks who debate going up to Di2 are those who are stuck on mechanical shifting. I have never heard of anyone going from Di2 back to mechanical, ever. Go for it, you will not regret it one bit.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I have the IceTec Freeza 160mm discs.

It's funny reading all your comments because:

-as I said I'm new to gravel, but when I first mounted the Grail after 20years of mtb I noticed how my (well maintained) Giant mtb...... shifts so much more smoothly. When I heard say the new Ultegra is buttery smooth, I thought that my old mtb must be at least silky smooth in comparison  21

-I tried my same bike in Di2 (albeit quickly): I thought the difference was: hard vs very light "push" of the levers in order to change 

-I asked subsequently my trusted lbs guy to check my gearset and he told me it was perfectly setup....

-So, when I realised I could swap mechanical to Di2 for 400euros...... But your comments leave me quite perplexed.....

???

mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

The levers on my Ultegra are so light to operate they might as well be switches.  Why pay extra for real switches?

Welsh boy replied to mike the bike | 4 years ago
3 likes

mike the bike wrote:

The levers on my Ultegra are so light to operate they might as well be switches.  Why pay extra for real switches?

Because they are not switches and Di2 are switches.

Like VeloUSA I am now on Di2 having spent the last 10 years wondering what all the fuss was about and convincing myself that it was not anything I wanted.  Wow, what a difference, I dont care how good mechanical shifts are, electronic ones are better.  I know it doesnt make me any faster, I know it doesnt make me any fitter, I know it doesnt make me more attractive to potential partners but I know that it makes me happy to ride it.  I saw my mother in law (who is 20 years older than me) laying in a hospital bed not knowing where she was or who she was and I realised that in 20 summers time that could be me.  I ordered Di2 the next day and havent regretted it for one moment.

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

His Canyon Grail already has discs, I presumed the OP is talking about  swapping mechanical R8020 to R8070.. 

pablo | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have last gen di2 and it is without doubt great compared to similar generation Ultegra purely for maintainance and the lack of chain rub because the front derailleur parks out the way when not needed. I now also have plain Ultegra (current gen) and the front derailleur is amazing and easy to setup and shift maintanances wise I have tightened the barrel adjusters once in 3000 miles.

I had a similar conversation with my bro in law who realy wants di2 and I surprised myself by saying not to bother as they are very close now I don't feel I've lost out. If I was you I'd spend the £400 on something that would make you faster (probably not relevent for your use) also the ownership cost can be high I've broken the front derailleur and now the rear derailleur all £100+ each.
If it's a scratch you want to itch and you don't need the money I'd go for it but on road I'd have discs above it everyday

hawkinspeter replied to pablo | 4 years ago
0 likes

pablo wrote:

I have last gen di2 and it is without doubt great compared to similar generation Ultegra purely for maintainance and the lack of chain rub because the front derailleur parks out the way when not needed. I now also have plain Ultegra (current gen) and the front derailleur is amazing and easy to setup and shift maintanances wise I have tightened the barrel adjusters once in 3000 miles. I had a similar conversation with my bro in law who realy wants di2 and I surprised myself by saying not to bother as they are very close now I don't feel I've lost out. If I was you I'd spend the £400 on something that would make you faster (probably not relevent for your use) also the ownership cost can be high I've broken the front derailleur and now the rear derailleur all £100+ each. If it's a scratch you want to itch and you don't need the money I'd go for it but on road I'd have discs above it everyday

Discs are better than Di2, but even better is both.

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd say go for it.

I regret not spending the extra and getting Di2 on my Mason, if nothing else the hoods being smaller and the transformer sounds will make you happy.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you're Di2-curious then I'd say just go for it as you're unlikely to regret it, whereas if you save 400 euros you'll always have that question at the back of your mind. Also, bear in mind that spares/replacements for any damage to the Di2 components will also be more expensive that non-Di2.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

@hawkinspeter, thanks for your reply.

I'm a "novice" in terms of gravel/road bikes.

Have had the same Giant MTB for 21years, did 105k km in all, and thoroughly enjoied it. But it was time to change. A friend of mine saw my new bike and bought exactly the same but in DI2 and I was kind of....pleasantly shocked about it's gear shifting...

My current G-One tyres are great, you can't change handlebar on the Grail, the "split" carbon seatpost is excellent, I'm using a light Giant saddle, so I would be left with..what, replacing the dt swiss with carbon (I guess well over 400euros)............

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Depends on what else you'd rather spend 400 euros on. Di2 is an unnecessary luxury, so if you want to add bling to your bike (and cool Transformer-style noises) then go for it.

Latest Comments