Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Charge Bikes - Are they still in business and/or can you get spares?

I had the front mudguard on my Charge Grater Ti Spectacularly shatter and lock up my front wheel whilst riding along a couple of weeks ago giving me a life before the eyes OTB moment  (I assume something got wedged between it and the tyre but I've really no idea and there is not a lot of the mudguard left to see! )

I've emailed both Charge (via their website) and who I believe to be the UK distributor CyclingSportsGroup (as listed on the Charge website) directly to enquire about a replacement (not complaining or trying to get a freebie, just want to buy one!), but no response from either after two weeks...I've heard a rumour Charge have gone under, so can anybody confirm / deny that (or more importantly tell me where I can source a replacement one of their factory fitted front mudguards)..?

Thanks in Advance for any info!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

TheBillder | 4 years ago
0 likes

The SKS clips need about double the space at the fork compared to the stays alone. Just something to be aware of if the fork mounts aren't in the fresh air. Mine are half way up the fork legs and on the inside to clear the disks (not on a Charge Grater) and be concealed from view* and the clips don't fit.

*Oh, the shame of having mudguard mounts on show. What would the neighbours think? Hide them away like Victorian ankles.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

I thought they were bought out by Dorel, who own Cannondale, which is why many Cannondales now come sporting Fabric saddles!

Kendalred | 4 years ago
1 like

I don't think they have gone under, but apparently they no longer make bikes, according to a Singletrack World forum post from a few months ago. The bikes on their website haven't been updated since the 2017 versions. I think they must be concentrating on the Fabric brand now - saddles, lights, bartape etc.

Crashboy replied to Kendalred | 4 years ago
0 likes

Kendalred wrote:

I don't think they have gone under, but apparently they no longer make bikes, according to a Singletrack World forum post from a few months ago. The bikes on their website haven't been updated since the 2017 versions. I think they must be concentrating on the Fabric brand now - saddles, lights, bartape etc.

Thank You: looks like the same distributor who have not responded to my original query, but I'll try with "Fabric" instead of "Charge" in teh subject and see what happens!!

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
0 likes

Looks like SKS securi-clips do the same thing,and may be even better.There's a you tube video.

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
0 likes

Look on the photo-halfway along each stay is a little rubber thingy.the stays join at this point.It's hard to find anything online ,but these things work well.Maybe someone else can help.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
0 likes

When I search for "breakaway stays" I just get short holiday suggestions! Any where you can buy just the breakaway component as an add-on to existing mudguards - I don't wanr to buy a whole new set.

vonhelmet replied to Sriracha | 4 years ago
0 likes
Sriracha wrote:

When I search for "breakaway stays" I just get short holiday suggestions! Any where you can buy just the breakaway component as an add-on to existing mudguards - I don't wanr to buy a whole new set.

SJS Cycles probably carry them. I've not checked but they have no end of knick knacks.

Edit: just checked and they have them. They're called secu clips.

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
0 likes

Why not try breakaway stays next time.When a stick gets stuck between the guard and the tyre the little rubber grippers release the stay and the stick falls out.I ride the Sutra on bush tracks and it's a common occurrence.Mudguards locking up front wheels can be tiresome

Edit-what mostly happens is a stick flicks up and goes between the spokes,bridging  the stays.The stays bend,locking the guard onto the tyre.The wheel locks up as the guard collapses.Breakaway stays just pop apart and prevent this. It takes a minute or two to reset them.

Latest Comments