Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Electric Vehicles - Red Herring?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

Bmblbzzz | 4 years ago
4 likes

The answer to the problems caused by too many cars can never be "different cars". 

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Regardless of how you feel personally about the suitability of an EV as a replacement for your own ICE powered car right now, EVs are here to stay.

https://europe.autonews.com/sales-market/ev-sales-surge-uk-market-down-2...

Summary: Full EV now 3.4% of market share, increasing sales by 378% over the year to August 2019 against an overall drop in UK car sales of 1.6% in the same period.

Most of the big manufacturers are now commited to producing full electric models, representing investments in the $Billions.

Government legislation in pursuit of self imposed pollution reduction targets may not go as far as some want, and go further than others are willing to accept but they are real and they are being enforced in jurisdictions globally.

Many people in the UK currently in the fortunate position to buy an EV are able to charge it from their domestic power supply overnight on the driveway. Range is only a factor for a very small percentage of journeys and fast charger infrastructure is expanding. If needs must and you have the time, any 13amp socket is a potential fuel station.

I'll buy into the prospect of increased total EV mileage being matched by an increase in UK renewable energy. I'll also buy into the potential of battery technology making technological advances in storage capacity, charging rates and recycling. You sort of have to have the economic necessity of one to justify investment in the other.

None of this will take place overnight. I get the argument about holding on to older cars which are perfectly roadworthy rather than scrapping them, but eventually they will wear out, be that tomorrow or 20 years from now. At some point you will be looking to replacement and at that time you may have a choice of private ownership, shared ownership, public ownership or a complete change of lifestyle that avoids any motorised travel. What you will almost certainly have increasingly less choice over is to select an internal combustion engine option.

If there is one huge question about EVs at the moment, it is how the government are going to make money from them in terms of replacing all that fuel excise duty and VAT on excise duty that they currently rake in.

Griff500 replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

Regardless of how you feel personally about the suitability of an EV as a replacement for your own ICE powered car right now, EVs are here to stay.

https://europe.autonews.com/sales-market/ev-sales-surge-uk-market-down-2...

Summary: Full EV now 3.4% of market share, increasing sales by 378% over the year to August 2019 against an overall drop in UK car sales of 1.6% in the same period.

.....except that the underlying data from SMMT which the article references doesn't support the conclusions of the article. Current data to October,  shows that full electric (BEV) only makes up 1.4% market share YTD. Overall change YTD is a still respectable 125%, but a long way short of the 378% you have quoted.

By far the biggest percentage increase is non-plug in Diesel Hybrid vehicles, which has increased by 796% YTD.  

To add some context, the total sales of full electric (BEV) cars YTD is only 28,259, against a total of over 2 million cars.

Hybrid cars, for anybody who wants to drag around 2 engines and 2 fuel sources, still vastly outsell full electric cars. 

So yes, the numbers are encouraging, but the article is telling porkies.

Philh68 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Griff, saved me going into detail. You can get live stats globally on electricitymap dot org which will confirm that too. It’s a handy reference to show which countries do and don’t make sense for EV. 

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
2 likes

ICE cars clearly have their advantages at present but personally the local pollution created by them is the reason I couldn't justify buying another one. If I buy another car it will be an EV.

The only advantage is ability to drive 300-500miles without stopping.  

But lets look how most folk drive.  I would not drive more than 200-250miles non stop.  Its approx 4-6hours of non stop driving. That is not recommended for being alert to driving requirements.  

Some will say, but you can refuel in 5 mins and be on your way.  True, but on a long journey, one or more stops are for rest. food, toilet breaks.  This is where 'rapid/supercharging' comes in allowing the EV to recharge to 80/90% capacity in 30-60mins. negating virtually all extra time to recharge.

Charge whilst eating/resting etc.

Long journeys like that are few and far between.  the vast majority (95%) of journeys per day in the western world are 35 miles per day.  EVs are perfect for local commuter type trips.

What is criminal,  75% of vehicle journeys are less than 2 miles per day! 

Polluting to take you kid to school or go to supermarket.  Walk or cycle if its only 2 miles

This is my Wife's car heading to London having done over a 100 miles so far to visit an ill relative in hospital. She will probably do a quick top charge on the return leg, whilst having her lunch

The journey in savings £7 electric overnight charging as opposed to £41 Petrol  

Zero CO2, NO2,  driving emissions  4

hobbeldehoy replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

ICE cars clearly have their advantages at present but personally the local pollution created by them is the reason I couldn't justify buying another one. If I buy another car it will be an EV.

But lets look how most folk drive.  I would not drive more than 200-250miles non stop.  Its approx 4-6hours of non stop driving. That is not recommended for being alert to driving requirements.  

Some will say, but you can refuel in 5 mins and be on your way.  True, but on a long journey, one or more stops are for rest. food, toilet breaks.  This is where 'rapid/supercharging' comes in allowing the EV to recharge to 80/90% capacity in 30-60mins. negating virtually all extra time to recharge.

Long journeys like that are few and far between.  the vast majority (95%) of journeys per day in the western world are 35 miles per day.  EVs are perfect for local commuter type trips.

Polluting to take you kid to school or go to supermarket.  Walk or cycle if its only 2 miles

This is my Wife's car heading to London having done over a 100 miles so far to visit an ill relative in hospital. She will probably do a quick top charge on the return leg, whilst having her lunch

The irony of this for me personally is that while car owners make lots of short and unnecessary journeys in the car, by comparison my car usage is completely different. My car can sit for weeks unused, I walk to local shops for groceries but when I do use it I tend to make journeys anywhere between 60 and 600 miles. Most of my journeys this year have been between 400 and 600 miles with a few 60 mile runs for good measure.

Where I live there are a lot of elderly car owners making short journeys and they are the ones who could benefit from an EV. Most of them I speak to don't want an EV though, largely because EVs are outside their price range. There is no charging infrastructure where I live and I haven't seen any move to improve this by the local authority. 

Where I live it is very cold much of the year and an EV would be highly impractical. As I said, my car sits around for weeks unused and an ICE car can handle this better than EV, Batteries don't like cold. I wouldn't be confident about going out to an EV sitting in the cold for weeks and expecting it to have a decent charge and so for me it would need constant charging even when not in use, 

This is putting aside the other impracticalities involved in long distance journeys with an EV. Making stops to recharge, high rates of discharge in winter due to using the heater, lights and blower. 

CXR94Di2 replied to hobbeldehoy | 4 years ago
0 likes
hobbeldehoy wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

The irony of this for me personally is that while car owners make lots of short and unnecessary journeys in the car, by comparison my car usage is completely different. My car can sit for weeks unused, I walk to local shops for groceries but when I do use it I tend to make journeys anywhere between 60 and 600 miles. Most of my journeys this year have been between 400 and 600 miles with a few 60 mile runs for good measure.

Where I live there are a lot of elderly car owners making short journeys and they are the ones who could benefit from an EV. Most of them I speak to don't want an EV though, largely because EVs are outside their price range. There is no charging infrastructure where I live and I haven't seen any move to improve this by the local authority. 

Where I live it is very cold much of the year and an EV would be highly impractical. As I said, my car sits around for weeks unused and an ICE car can handle this better than EV, Batteries don't like cold. I wouldn't be confident about going out to an EV sitting in the cold for weeks and expecting it to have a decent charge and so for me it would need constant charging even when not in use, 

This is putting aside the other impracticalities involved in long distance journeys with an EV. Making stops to recharge, high rates of discharge in winter due to using the heater, lights and blower. 

If you have a drive to park a car, then an EV home 7kw charger will do 99% of your usage. We dont have a supercharger or Chademo within 25 miles of our house. We rarely use rapid chargers. Most EVs have sophisticated battery management systems. These control level of charge so not to prematurely age the battery. You can leave them plugged in on trickle.

Your own situation is a little unusual, so possibly an EV isnt for you. The majority just seem reluctant to embrace new-ish propulsion.

alansmurphy replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

23 degrees, I've never been in a mobile sauna before!

Griff500 | 4 years ago
2 likes

I'm surprised that no mention has been made here of the environmental damage being done by Lithium and Cobalt mining. This ranges from contamination of land and watercourses in Tibet due to Chinese Lithium mining, to lowering of water tables in areas of Chile due to the vast amounts of water used in Lithium extraction, and the horrific illnesses among children employed in Cobalt mines in the DRC.  It is ironic that a couple of hundred years after we stopped sending children down coal mines in the UK, we are supporting the use of children to mine horrifically toxic Cobalt, through our hunger for rechargeable devices. (Yes, I know Elon Musk has signed up to source his Cobalt from ethical sources, but I doubt that message has filtered down through the layers of importers, exporters and metal merchants, to the guy who drives a pickup truck round villages in the DRC collecting sacks of the stuff to ship off to China.)

I've always thought hydrogen was the answer, as it is considerably cleaner than any current battery technology. If we want clean, we are backing the wrong horse. While there are now a few hydrogen vehicles on sale (most notably the new Hyundai), I doubt there will be the appetite to roll out hydrogen infractructure in addition to chargers.

But hey, we are building a new runway at Heathrow, we are very likely to cancel HS2, and we subsidise air travel to the extent that short haul flights are a third the price of going by train. Does anybody seriously think any political party gives a damn about the climate?    

fukawitribe replied to Griff500 | 4 years ago
1 like

Griff500 wrote:

I've always thought hydrogen was the answer, as it is considerably cleaner than any current battery technology. If we want clean, we are backing the wrong horse. While there are now a few hydrogen vehicles on sale (most notably the new Hyundai), I doubt there will be the appetite to roll out hydrogen infractructure in addition to chargers.

Alas hydrogen is a pretty dire thing to use for a fuel - current production techniques don't help (vast majority of it is still produced using steam reformation) but even so you're bleeding efficiency at every stage. Currently, electricity consumption per mile seems to be reckoned to be several times worse for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles over straight EV, and that's without considering greenhouse-gas emissions. It's a lovely idea, but it just doesn't add up at the moment (maybe never).

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes
PRSboy | 4 years ago
1 like

Its worth considering that today's EVs will be looked at in 10 yrs in the same way we look at 10 yr old phones.

People like having cars, for many there is no practical alternative.

I read two articles today - one said that VW estimate cost parity for EV vs ICE car production by 2025.  Another said that BMW are launching the i4, which has a 350+ mile range and a 5 minute, 70 mile charge.  This is interesting because it shows the speed at which the big manufacturers are getting their act together having been caught napping (though BMW in their defence were on it quite quickly with the i3)

The take-up of EVs will be exponential, provided the infrastructure can keep up.

Battery technology will trickle down.  I have certainly seen more e-bikes around... a 70yr old friend of ours now uses one for trips to her local town (over in very hilly West Wales) rather than taking the car.

As you say, to the benefit of us all.

kt26 | 4 years ago
2 likes

Some interesting points raised here. I tend to agree that EVs are no silver bullet to the car problem, But they are atleast a step in the right direction.

A point that is yet to be mentioned here is that humanities addiction to the car will atleast drive a surge in battery technology - which is going to be necessary to move the grids to more renewable sources. In fact major advances are already happening - the man credited with inventing the Lithium Ion battery, may have just create (along with his assistant) the first solid state battery which is sodium based - so not a rare earth material, this battery:

- Doesn't suffer from the combustibility problem most convential batteries do

- Have a much better energy density - can be lighter and store more energy

- Much shorter charging times.

These advances will be critical in solving a raft of human made problems, and EVs will drive investment in such areas as the juggernaut car makers look for ways to maintain relevance. It's not ideal - anything rarely is - but such developements stand to be to the benefit of us all.

fukawitribe replied to kt26 | 4 years ago
0 likes

kt26 wrote:

A point that is yet to be mentioned here is that humanities addiction to the car will atleast drive a surge in battery technology - which is going to be necessary to move the grids to more renewable sources. In fact major advances are already happening - the man credited with inventing the Lithium Ion battery, may have just create (along with his assistant) the first solid state battery which is sodium based - so not a rare earth material, this battery:

- Doesn't suffer from the combustibility problem most convential batteries do

- Have a much better energy density - can be lighter and store more energy

- Much shorter charging times.

Hell yeah, and looks like they should have

* cheaper and easier manufacturing

* far greater active lifespan (lower cell degradation/charge cycle)

* much wider operating temperature range

He also absolutely has the best name going *

* ..and also part of the group that created the first 'modern' RAM modules. Still working, late nineties, boy's a legend.

hobbeldehoy | 4 years ago
1 like

Articles promoting electric cars only tend to look at on the road emissions and pollution. The impact from manufacturing an electric car is rarely discussed, such as lithium mining and other rare earth minerals. There is also the matter of recycling used batteries. Then there is the matter of electricity generation. Will it be from nuclear or coal fired power stations? Either way massive investment in electricity generation would be necessary. I would like to see a more balanced presentation of data when it comes to electric car promotion.

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
2 likes

Well, yeah, that's the real solution to all of this - people getting out of their damn cars.

Rich_cb | 4 years ago
3 likes

I don't think EVs are perfect. They don't address the problems caused by a car-centric society but they do solve some of the negative effects of car ownership.

They have lower lifetime CO2 per km (in the UK) than an equivalent ICE vehicle so they are better in terms of climate change. As renewable energy increases and EV vehicle manufacturing matures the difference will increase further.

They have far lower local emissions. No noxious gases and reduced particulate pollution. (As regenerative braking improves particulate pollution will also improve.)

I'm not familiar with Labour's proposed loan scheme but at present EVs are not subsidised. The grant you receive towards the cost of purchase is covered by the VAT you pay on the purchase so effectively you are just paying a lower rate of VAT.

Given the reduced harm I've described above a lower rate of VAT seems entirely fair.

We won't change the car-centric nature of UK society overnight so we may as well accept the small improvements that EVs offer while we continue to push for the modal shift to active transport.

Philh68 | 4 years ago
4 likes

Electric cars, hardly a panacea. Once you view cars in terms of mass efficiency, you realise they’re not much progress. A typical vehicle carries a single occupant most of the time, weighs 20x that person and has an energy conversion average of 20 percent or less. Electric car can triple the energy conversion efficiency but changes nothing else. The effect of energy inefficiency plus the mass inefficiency means the car is only 1-3 percent efficient at moving your mass.

In the decade that they’ve been available, there has been virtually no efficiency improvement to EV. A Honda E consumes electricity at the same rate as an iMiev did 10 years ago. A small city car that uses 150 watt per km doesn’t impress me, that is 38x worse than my Tern GSD. Quadricycles like the Twizy fare better, but actually carries less than the cargo bike!

The demand for battery material threatens to cause another environmental disaster - there are companies preparing to robotically mine the deep seabed for cobalt, which will create huge clouds of sediment and threaten the survival of marine life. As if pillaging the land wasn’t enough.

I really think the EV comeback is too late. Cars have already broken our cities, and faced with rising urbanisation and pressure to improve liveability our cities are doing away with them. Changing the way we power them makes little difference to that.

FluffyKittenofT... | 4 years ago
2 likes

I think I'm mildly pro-EVs, but am not keen on these 'car scrappage' schemes in general (this proposed one is not the one I was already grumbling about).

There is something very annoying about the fact that if you need help, the best thing you can do is to be doing something that harms others. If you have a polluting car you can get a subsidy for scrapping it - but not if you are too poor to afford a car at all and your bike or shoes are worn out (given how smelly old trainers can get, maybe they should rethink that? Mine are probably a bit polluting now).

Bit like the way every narcissistic spree-killer or terrorist attracts acres of coverage discussing their grievances or mental health problems, while those who quietly self-harm or kill only themselves tend to be completely ignored.

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

Remember the last time the car industry really started crying and they had that £2000 of your old car thing. Remember it was because old cars are stinky and dirty (even though there's an MOT with emissions testing) and you shouldn't be driving them.

All it did was remove loads of good used stock and if I remember right, put the price of used cars up for a bit.

My car is getting up to 10 years old, still in good condition and I'll be driving it until the engine goes and if that happens I may stick a recon unit in it.

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
8 likes

The most economical and ecological thing you can do car wise is run an old reliable car into the ground. The carbon footprint of manufacturing an old car is a sunk cost, so all you have to deal with is the marginal impact of repairs and miles. The impact of manufacturing new cars is vast. What's the impact of mining all that lithium compared to running an old Volvo (other reliable cars are available) to 200,000 miles?

It's almost like the car industry is more concerned with selling new cars without regard to their actual lifetime environmental impact.

peted76 replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
4 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

The most economical and ecological thing you can do car wise is run an old reliable car into the ground. The carbon footprint of manufacturing an old car is a sunk cost, so all you have to deal with is the marginal impact of repairs and miles. The impact of manufacturing new cars is vast. What's the impact of mining all that lithium compared to running an old Volvo (other reliable cars are available) to 200,000 miles? It's almost like the car industry is more concerned with selling new cars without regard to their actual lifetime environmental impact.

THIS THIS THIS.

Not only does the world now think that they are saving the earth by doing their bit and buying an EV but us consumers are driven into a frenzy by being told you'll have to get on a waiting list as they can't produce the batteries fast enough. We're all being mugged off. 

hawkinspeter replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
3 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

The most economical and ecological thing you can do car wise is run an old reliable car into the ground. The carbon footprint of manufacturing an old car is a sunk cost, so all you have to deal with is the marginal impact of repairs and miles. The impact of manufacturing new cars is vast. What's the impact of mining all that lithium compared to running an old Volvo (other reliable cars are available) to 200,000 miles?

It's almost like the car industry is more concerned with selling new cars without regard to their actual lifetime environmental impact.

Don't forget about the extra air pollution that older vehicles produce.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
5 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:
vonhelmet wrote:

The most economical and ecological thing you can do car wise is run an old reliable car into the ground. The carbon footprint of manufacturing an old car is a sunk cost, so all you have to deal with is the marginal impact of repairs and miles. The impact of manufacturing new cars is vast. What's the impact of mining all that lithium compared to running an old Volvo (other reliable cars are available) to 200,000 miles? It's almost like the car industry is more concerned with selling new cars without regard to their actual lifetime environmental impact.

Vonhelet's argument about 'ecological cost of manufacture' does hold water IMO.

My household's cars are vintage, and we couldn't possibly afford to replace them either with ICE or EV.

We just try to make sure we drive them as little as we have to, and make sure we feel suitably guilty about it when we do.

vonhelmet replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:
vonhelmet wrote:

Do you mean older as in older designs or older as in more worn ie less efficient? Either way, let's do some back of an envelope maths. Googling suggests a Volvo 240 (very old) has co2 emissions of about 180g/km. Let's assume we'd got a knackered one and it does, I dunno, 300. Googling suggests an electric car causes 9 tonnes of co2 emissions in its production. You could drive the 240 for another 30,000 miles before the electric car had even been built. I can't be arsed doing the maths to work out when the electric car breaks even but I bet it's moon miles and it may in fact be impossible if you have to replace the batteries at astronomical cost before you get there.

If you mean other nasty emissions besides co2 then that's a trickier one, yes.

Rich_cb replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
1 like
vonhelmet wrote:

Do you mean older as in older designs or older as in more worn ie less efficient? Either way, let's do some back of an envelope maths. Googling suggests a Volvo 240 (very old) has co2 emissions of about 180g/km. Let's assume we'd got a knackered one and it does, I dunno, 300. Googling suggests an electric car causes 9 tonnes of co2 emissions in its production. You could drive the 240 for another 30,000 miles before the electric car had even been built. I can't be arsed doing the maths to work out when the electric car breaks even but I bet it's moon miles and it may in fact be impossible if you have to replace the batteries at astronomical cost before you get there.

If you mean other nasty emissions besides co2 then that's a trickier one, yes.

The lifetime CO2/km of the latest Renault Zoe is 60g. That means that you'd break even at 46,000 miles assuming your old Volvo was working well (180g/km).

If it was running at 300g/km it would be 23,500 miles.

The average car in the UK does about 7100 miles per year so you're looking at about 6.5 years and 3.25 years respectively.

I know the cars aren't exactly equivalent but I only has the Zoe's figures to hand.

Given that UK electricity production is getting less carbon intensive every year you can expect that time frame to get shorter and shorter. If you lived in France or Norway it would already be.

There's also the small matter of noxious gases and particulates which are far more damaging to your local community than CO2 and which your old Volvo probably emits by the bucket load.

CyclingInBeastMode replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:
vonhelmet wrote:

Do you mean older as in older designs or older as in more worn ie less efficient? Either way, let's do some back of an envelope maths. Googling suggests a Volvo 240 (very old) has co2 emissions of about 180g/km. Let's assume we'd got a knackered one and it does, I dunno, 300. Googling suggests an electric car causes 9 tonnes of co2 emissions in its production. You could drive the 240 for another 30,000 miles before the electric car had even been built. I can't be arsed doing the maths to work out when the electric car breaks even but I bet it's moon miles and it may in fact be impossible if you have to replace the batteries at astronomical cost before you get there. If you mean other nasty emissions besides co2 then that's a trickier one, yes.

The lifetime CO2/km of the latest Renault Zoe is 60g. That means that you'd break even at 46,000 miles assuming your old Volvo was working well (180g/km). If it was running at 300g/km it would be 23,500 miles. The average car in the UK does about 7100 miles per year so you're looking at about 6.5 years and 3.25 years respectively. I know the cars aren't exactly equivalent but I only has the Zoe's figures to hand. Given that UK electricity production is getting less carbon intensive every year you can expect that time frame to get shorter and shorter. If you lived in France or Norway it would already be. There's also the small matter of noxious gases and particulates which are far more damaging to your local community than CO2 and which your old Volvo probably emits by the bucket load.

In real world use with bio fuel/vege oil (standard operation all year round) my 18 year old large estate diesel runs cleaner than some EUROVI based on the real world testing of both the EURO standards in independant testing, particularly E4, some of the E6 vehicles were absolutely shocking.

The factory spec for mine CO2 wise was 151g/km, when the garage last MOT'd it (126,000) the opacity test level was ridiculously low and that was on first run, so low that they tested it again (they're a top independant winning garage of the year in the UK a couple of times so no cowboys) I no longer use it but was down to less than 3,000 per year. If I were to do similar (with regards bio fuel/vege oil) to my folks Skoda Fabia 3 cycl 99g/km, I reckon it would be even cleaner, I used it for a 100mile outing this summer when vsiting and managed to get 80mpg with a 10-15% of that getting across the city and through a small town at the other end. I expect them to use it (2014 model) until they can no longer drive, so probably another 15 years or so.

Taking that car changes the comparison hugely.

In any case, I honestly don't trust the figures given for EVs, there seems to be no accounting for the non recycling of the cobalt and lithium, no account for the additional and very massive infra that needs putting in place and the pollution that comes from that, it takes no account of the increase in burning fossil fuels because we simply won't have enough capacity nor enough renewables to supply the demand.

Also, as you've said, the Zoe is a tiny car (which most people won't buy) but ridiculously heavy at 1.5metric tonnes, this is were the problem arises for range and potential extra pollution burning fossil fuel). That weight is not just the batteries but all the gizmos and 'safety'/driving aids etc all add up to a LOT of weight. MKII Ford Escort 1.3L 5 door was 878kg, bigger space internally yet nearly half the weight and with lots of heavy gauge steel/steel wheels/iron bloc.

In our throwaway society these 'plastic' cars won't be around anywhere near as long as the ICE life span they are replacing.

Now if they were to knock out a Sinclair stylie vehicle similar to the one I pictured above Or the Iris E Trike, made it in the UK, made it free from all the weighty crud as the ETrike is (hence 55kg incl battery) that would change the balance of a viable/covered transport mode for up to 20-25 miles each way then that would smash the argument out of sight. 

Yet we're not doing that at all and Labour aren't a party that support that clear and obvious option either, not even close, it's continuing down the path of building MASSive vehicles that will still kill and maim with virtual impunity in the hands of morons and the actual real life cycle emissions are doubtful even when using one of the better EVs in lab conditions.

Rich_cb replied to CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
1 like
CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

In real world use with bio fuel/vege oil (standard operation all year round) my 18 year old large estate diesel runs cleaner than some EUROVI based on the real world testing of both the EURO standards in independant testing, particularly E4, some of the E6 vehicles were absolutely shocking.

The factory spec for mine CO2 wise was 151g/km, when the garage last MOT'd it (126,000) the opacity test level was ridiculously low and that was on first run, so low that they tested it again (they're a top independant winning garage of the year in the UK a couple of times so no cowboys) I no longer use it but was down to less than 3,000 per year. If I were to do similar (with regards bio fuel/vege oil) to my folks Skoda Fabia 3 cycl 99g/km, I reckon it would be even cleaner, I used it for a 100mile outing this summer when vsiting and managed to get 80mpg with a 10-15% of that getting across the city and through a small town at the other end. I expect them to use it (2014 model) until they can no longer drive, so probably another 15 years or so.

In any case, I honestly don't trust the figures given for EVs, there seems to be no accounting for the non recycling of the cobalt and lithium, no account for the additional and very massive infra that needs putting in place and the pollution that comes from that, it takes no account of the increase in burning fossil fuels because we simply won't have enough capacity nor enough renewables to supply the demand.

Also, as you've said, the Zoe is a tiny car (which most people won't buy) but ridiculously heavy at 1.5metric tonnes, this is were the problem arises for range and potential extra pollution burning fossil fuel). That weight is not just the batteries but all the gizmos and 'safety'/driving aids etc all add up to a LOT of weight. MKII Ford Escort 1.3L 5 door was 878kg, bigger space internally yet nearly half the weight and with lots of heavy gauge steel/steel wheels/iron bloc.

In our throwaway society these 'plastic' cars won't be around anywhere near as long as the ICE life span they are replacing.

Now if they were to knock out a Sinclair stylie vehicle similar to the one I pictured above Or the Iris E Trike, made it in the UK, made it free from all the weighty crud as the ETrike is (hence 55kg incl battery) that would change the balance of a viable/covered transport mode for up to 20-25 miles each way then that would smash the argument out of sight. 

Yet we're not doing that at all and Labour aren't a party that support that clear and obvious option either, not even close, it's continuing down the path of building MASSive vehicles that will still kill and maim with virtual impunity in the hands of morons and the actual real life cycle emissions are doubtful even when using one of the better EVs in lab conditions.

If your parents Skoda fabia emits 99g/km then its lifetime emisions per km (including manufacture, maintainance etc) will be higher still. It would probably end up not far off double the lifetime emissions of the Zoe.

If there's a market for the type of vehicle you describe I'm sure one will be produced but if I'm honest I don't think there is.

I don't think the growth in EVs will lead to more fossil fuels being used in electricity generation as the charging can easily be scheduled for off peak times when electricity is often in surplus and when CO2 emisions per KWh are the lowest.

Batteries and electric motors are being improved all the time and electricity generation is getting less CO2 intensive every year. That together with improved efficiency in EV manufacture will tip the argument decisively in favour of EVs in the next few years.

CyclingInBeastMode replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

If your parents Skoda fabia emits 99g/km then its lifetime emisions per km (including manufacture, maintainance etc) will be higher still. It would probably end up not far off double the lifetime emissions of the Zoe. If there's a market for the type of vehicle you describe I'm sure one will be produced but if I'm honest I don't think there is. I don't think the growth in EVs will lead to more fossil fuels being used in electricity generation as the charging can easily be scheduled for off peak times when electricity is often in surplus and when CO2 emisions per KWh are the lowest. Batteries and electric motors are being improved all the time and electricity generation is getting less CO2 intensive every year. That together with improved efficiency in EV manufacture will tip the argument decisively in favour of EVs in the next few years.

My folks car will last at least 20 years, how many EVs will be gone through in that time, how many extra batteries and cobalt/lithium mined?

I'm not saying diesels are better, I'm saying the pollution numbers given for EVs is not as good as is being made out and using far fetched scenarios that exclude many factors to get to those numbers, the differential is not that big and as I have said all along there are better solutions that are being ignored pretty much completely despite their obviousness.

I will continue to not run a motorvehicle for the forseeable though at times it is bloody difficult and does shut down certain options you may want to enjoy/explore unless one borrows a car which I have done three times in a 26 month period, the alternates are not impossible but just very, very impractical and very expensive.

Rich_cb replied to CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
1 like

My folks car will last at least 20 years, how many EVs will be gone through in that time, how many extra batteries and cobalt/lithium mined?

I'm not saying diesels are better, I'm saying the pollution numbers given for EVs is not as good as is being made out and using far fetched scenarios that exclude many factors to get to those numbers, the differential is not that big and as I have said all along there are better solutions that are being ignored pretty much completely despite their obviousness.

I will continue to not run a motorvehicle for the forseeable though at times it is bloody difficult and does shut down certain options you may want to enjoy/explore unless one borrows a car which I have done three times in a 26 month period, the alternates are not impossible but just very, very impractical and very expensive.

We don't know how EVs are going to fare long term as we are only just seeing mass market EVs appear.

That being said the battery degradation for older Nissan Leafs has been less than predicted a few years ago. The rest of the car generally needs less maintenance than an ICE car so should last as long if not longer.

Pages

Latest Comments