Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Another which bike thread - Orro Terra C, Orbea Terra M30 or Cube Agree C62

I love my Jamie s Renegade Expert and use it for club runs with my decent wheels and a fair bit of trails on cx tyres. It does however need to be replaced.  I'm running it with two sets of wheels which I change depending on riding. 

I need a bike with a stack around 640, I have an 850 seat height and this gets me the 100mm drop or so from saddle to bars - which has been my set up for 100+ mile rides in comfort. Whatever I get needs to be quick on the roads too and good fun off and rufty tufty enough for some gravel grinding.  

Short list that will fit according to geo charts...are

Orro Terra C 105 hydro - https://www.orrobikes.com/shop/terra-c-105-hydro-1

Orbea Terra M30 - https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/road/terra/cat/terra-m30-d

Cube Agree c62 - https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/bikes/road/road/agree/cube-agree-c62-race-bl...

Anyone own or had any of these - trying to see if anyone can help identify a one bike for all out of these.   I've gone for  carbon purely as it will be lighter than alloy and probably a good deal comfier.

I know there's a similar thread and started this rather than hijack one.  I'll be buying on line at the best price as i know these will all fit.  Orro gets some good write ups.

Cheers,

Johnny

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Johnnyvee | 4 years ago
0 likes

well having heard back from Cube they suggest that the Agree won't handle type 2 terrain and i may be on the limit for the saddle height.

May as well get the Orro - i am sure i'll be happy with it broken heart

Unless anyone has any other usggestions?

I'll post a review when i've given it a good go.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Might have been the discs?...

Ha, no, I had come round to having discs as there were no fully built gravel bikes without them and I wanted to use bike-to-work, which made going custom too complicated. In the end I somehow managed to justify going custom as it allowed me to build with rim brakes which in turn made the whole process cheaper etc.

Tenuous logic which might end up not being true once the custom build spec list suffers from scope creep and gets un-necessarily blingy! 

Anyway, enjoy the new bike, from my experience in the past, Cube bikes a really well specced, me and several other co-workers all started off with Cube Road bikes and my boss still has at least one, if not two in his various foreign homes!

Johnnyvee | 4 years ago
0 likes

Might have been the discs?...

That sounds like it's going to be a very nice bike - kinda agree with you on the "Meh" nature of some part of full builds but i've already got a set of handbuilt 700 tubeless wheels using the Pacenti Forza rims which i can fit in whatever I get plus another set lying around with some 35mm CX tyres on them.  I found the Pacenti's vey easy to set up tubless if you go that way and they run true for quite a while now.

Trouble is building always seems way more expensive that a complete bike - especially around this time of year.  Though no doubt there will be some swapping out that goes on no matter what I get.

Think i've ruled out the Orbea now so down to Orro and Cube.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

No, can't remember what put me off the Orro, I am extremely fussy though so it could have been something utterly trivial!

I'm going with a Kinesis CX 1 frameset built up with handbuilt Pacenti rims/DT hubs, Avid Shorty Ultimate cantilevers, 105 shifters, Shimano 48/31 GRX chainset, Ultegra RX mech, Miche 12-34 cassette.

The reason I decided to go custom is that I wanted shorter than average cranks (170mm) and also wasn't impressed with the wheels specced on any of the off-the-shelf bikes. Changing the cranks alone would add a bit of cost on top of bikes which were already at the upper end of my budget.

I'm also a bit of a rim brake fan, have never got on with discs so resented paying a premium for them on a  new bike (however I'm in the minority so don't let me put you off discs!).

Only drawback is the BB height, it's designed for CX so is higher than the average road bike, but since I've been using my 29er MTB for most of my gravel riding of late I'm hoping the Kinesis BB won't seem too high in comparison!

Johnnyvee | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that Ian - must admit that i've been playing about with the My O colour thing too.  I cab find a few Orbea Terra threads but find that Orro Terra owners are less vocal.  I have seen the cycling wewekly review with Oli but was looking for some real owner comments. 

What custom did you go for?

Did you consider the Orro at all?

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Road.cc reviewed the Orbea Terra, said it felt fast and stiff but wasn't as off-road oriented as some other gravel bikes and would only take a 40c tyre max.

I was all set to buy one of the M30 models, it was everything I was looking for, plus you can get custom paint schemes free of charge so I spent ages coming up with wackier and wackier colour schemes! 

Eventually decided to go custom but my second choice would absolutely have been the Orbea.

Johnnyvee | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ha - already know this and would ride any of them to death. Maybe not being specific enough.
Anyone got any of these and used them off-road? Not sure the Cube would hack it but the other two certainly would.

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yep, Free Four

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
1 like

Obscured by Clouds?

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

If they all fit and you like them all then go with your heart, buy the one you will want to ride even when the weather is crap.  A bike that you want to ride is a thing of beauty, a bike that a stranger on the internet recommended which you dont like is a waste of money.  Get the one you like soon and enjoy it, like Pink Floyd say, life is a short warm moment and death is a long cold rest.

Latest Comments