Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrade to Shimano GRX / Compatability

I have a 2016 GT Grade Alloy 105, with FSA BB and crankset  and TRP Spyre mechanical / hydraulic brakes.

Needing a new BB, cassette and chain anyway, I am planning to upgrade to Shimano 1x, can I use my existing 5800 levers with the brakes?

I am changing to RX812 Rear mech, Rx 810 11-42 cassette, RX 810 chainset, HG701 chain. I am finding the range / compatability difficult to get my head round, despite finding the Shimano compatability document online. Thanks in advance.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

That will all work nicely together, no issues once your muscles have forgotten about front shifting.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
1 like

So, in this case assuming your shifters are 11speed, and are cable driven, you need to stick with the same brakes. You don't have hydraulic shifters. The rest should work exactly as you described. Your left hand shifter won't be connected to anything any more. You can use any cassette, i.e an xt or xtr one too. Or even a sram pg11 type too.

If you need to know more go to si.shimano.com and look at the cross compatibility charts there for your shifters and find out if the right hand one will shift a grx derailleur.

Latest Comments