Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bottom Bracket noise after 200km

Hey guys,

I have a brand new bike with Ultegra R8000 SS groupset, and after 200km, today a noise inside of Bottom Bracket started.

And the sound makes me think there is water with dust inside the Bottom Bracket.

The weather conditions in Germany are not the best at the moment, and almost every bike there it's raining or there is water on the streets, but after every ride, I clean the bike with a humid cloth, removing the dirt, and also cleaning the chains every week, adding new grease...

Does it sound like a fabric issue? Or maybe it wasn't well tight?

Any advice?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Butty | 4 years ago
2 likes

A replacement BB won't do much if the frame BB shell isn't bored square and in line.

Get the bike back to the dealers and get them to sort it rather than spend your own money.

CXR94Di2 replied to Butty | 4 years ago
0 likes
Butty wrote:

A replacement BB won't do much if the frame BB shell isn't bored square and in line.

Get the bike back to the dealers and get them to sort it rather than spend your own money.

You cannot really bore out unless the frame is severely undersized. It requires decent tools and accurate application to ensure bottom bracket is circular and perpendicular to the frame.

If the frame is out of tolerance, its better to seek the advice of someone like Hambini(YouTube)

Maybe even send frame back, but that opens a big argument with the manufacturer whether their frame is out of tolerance. Alot of manufacturers have ridiculous variance in bore sizes.

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Hope bottom brackets, expensive initially but both of mine have paid for themselves many times over. 

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
2 likes

If the bike's brand new, bring it to the dealer and have them fix it.  It's not normal that a BB starts creaking after just 200 km, not even in the wet.  If you tinker with this yourself, you'll shove your warranty down the shredder, don't do it, at least not yet..

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

I like cleaning the bike with a humid cloth.

CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
0 likes

i've just found outboard and the new press fit to be mostly dog-do. The only decent outboard I've had is a Hope that I use on my audax/touuring bike, I got an FSA ceramic with my carbon c/set and honestly draggy as buggery, replaced it with an Enduro I managed to blag on ebay for a not horrendous price, it's okay but for the money at normal selling prices, meh.

I've just bought a NOS Octalink chainset, quite honestly I love em, they last so long and are no more draggy than the modern stuff, one of the best BBs I ever had was a THUN Campagnolo copy on an old pug, my god that was soooo smooth and lasted a dogs age as well!

Hope your selection works out far better than your original.

The _Kaner | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes the Ninja TF24 will fit your pressfit BB.

ULTEGRA SMBB7241B - 86.5mm sleeve interconnects the BB cups - width of shimano's road BBs - Hence BB86.

Has internal diameter of 24mm for Hollowtech II cranks.

You can see from the Ninja BB, it has internal threading, so is adjustable to a certain extent, and can be fitted to wider (diameter) frames. (BB386/PF30)

The kit comes with extra cups (nylon reinforced) so can be fitted in several different BB standards frames that use a Shimano 24mm crankset.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano105-r7000/SM-BB7...

https://www.tokencycling.com/product-p/tf24-tbt.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Manufacturing-Outboard-ABEC-3-Shimano/dp... - Wheels MFG version

They also do Ninja for non Shimano cranksets. Mine was Shimano specific.

Initially you need to buy the/a kit to get the BB fitting tool, but after that you can just purchase the BB itself for any future replacements as required.

No BB should last only 200km, unless it's been badly submerged and driven hard without draining/cleaning (or possibly jet washed). Or was of poor quality to start with. 

You have to be careful that it is not the BB shell that is moving/loose as this can, over time weaken and/or destroy the frame. The Ninja, by virtue of being internally threaded, should in theory prevent this.

The BB on my Giant was bad from the start, I put up with it for 500km, only because the bike was mail ordered from S-Tec in Germany (I'm in Ireland) and I wasn't going to be packing it all up to send back for inspection/repair - especially when I could do the work myself and improve on the original fitted part.

I was willing to accept the expense - I'd saved a considerable sum by getting the bike from Germany in the first place versus the cost of purchase here in Ireland.

You may want to have the part inspected by the bike shop (if that's where you purchased it) and see if they will honour a repair under warranty...but then you'd be getting a replacement press-fit BB installed again.

converge | 4 years ago
0 likes

Token Ninja Bottom Bracket looks awesome! Thanks for the tip @The _Kaner.

My bike uses Shimano Pressfit BB72 (is it the same as Pressfit 86?), is it supposed to work for just 200km if using in wet conditions?

The _Kaner | 4 years ago
0 likes

Here it is on the bike.

The _Kaner | 4 years ago
0 likes

Token Ninja - kit comes with cups for multi frame fitment (24 mm Shimano spindle fitment)

The _Kaner | 4 years ago
0 likes

Is it a press-fit BB?

If so just replace it...Token Ninja (I've these on both my bikes - 24mm hollowtech/shimano fit)

My 2016 Giant Defy 2 came fitted with a poor quality (already sub-par quality, by which I mean defective from the start) pressfit 105/Ultegra effort.

I changed it out for the Token (other brands are available) - over 2 years on and not a squeak, rattle or rumble.

My Canyon also got the same BB replacement treatment (even though it didn't really require it)

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

Press fit?

Latest Comments