Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

I need training tips and tips in general for a merckx style time trial in may 2020

the cours is 6.5 miles long and 2000 feet above sea level. it is a merckx style tt, so no aero bars or tt hilmets or disk wheels.  this is  the time trial prolog to a 2 day stage race. the time trial is the stage I feel that I have the best chance of winning. I would prefer not to buy any new parts for my bike, I would prefer just to trainb beter and suffer harder. the previos  years the wining average was 27mph. my ftp is 199.99 watts, I weigh 150 lbs. my bike weighs 15.8lbs and its an aluminum bike! (with 50mm dep clincher wheels) my average cadence is typicaly 110rpm, my 5 second power is 950 watts, and my 1 minute power is 445watts, and my 5 minute power is 400 watts.  if anyone has nutrsional tips and training tips it please share them. note my highest gear is 52X14 because of some gear ratios regulations at the event.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

mattsccm | 4 years ago
2 likes

Pretend you are a half arsed club 10 rider like me. Pedal like buggery as fast as you can for as long as you can. 

fukawitribe | 4 years ago
1 like

Maybe - or maybe a youth rider with a non-smart or otherwise highly inaccurate trainer/power measurement device. Meh.

ficklewhippet | 4 years ago
1 like

This bloke is a fantasist and a time waster. The post is full of inconsistencies. Not to mention the spelling which is frankly an assault on my eyeballs.
Begone, troll!

Glov Zaroff replied to ficklewhippet | 4 years ago
0 likes

ficklewhippet wrote:

This bloke is a fantasist and a time waster. The post is full of inconsistencies. Not to mention the spelling which is frankly an assault on my eyeballs. Begone, troll!

Agreed.

I hate to see poor trolling. Really basic stuff from this melon.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

2650g for a frameset? 6lb?

My old, steel, MTB frameset weighed that much!

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
1 like

I smell bullshit. Someone with NO IDEA about training and nutrition claiming to be able to put out nearly 6watt/kg? As others have said, top pro cyclists such as Chris Froome puts out just over 6watt/kg at the peak of his powers at the TdF.

Oh and averaging 27mph on such a short TT would be a piece of piss even on a road bike with that sort of power. 

PP

mak parshall | 4 years ago
1 like

maby I could ried like the proes if my frameset wasnt 2650grams 

Xenophon2 replied to mak parshall | 4 years ago
1 like

mak parshall wrote:

maby I could ried like the proes if my frameset wasnt 2650grams 

Computer says no.  Assuming that your brakes don't drag, that is.

BTW:  a 6 W/kg FTP would put you in the category of world class cyclists.  If you were there, odds are that you wouldn't be posting here, nor ride a 2.650 kg frameset.  You don't need 6 W/kg FTP for your event, but you do need a chunk more than what you have now.

Jimmy Ray Will | 4 years ago
3 likes

Shit... an ftp of 345 now... that's nearly 6w per kilo. Fuck the time trial, get your arse over to the tour de france, you'll do well.

mak parshall | 4 years ago
0 likes

I see that I should get a coach, I need to get back the muscles that I had in the summer, and get back down to 135 lbs.  in july, my ftp was 345watts.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you're really serious, get a coach (who also knows about nutrition) and start training like hell.  The numbers say that as you are, it's not possible,.   They won't change....unless you do.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Get a coach if you're a potential winner. They Will be able to assess your physical ability, tune a workout plan to enhance your TT ability.

Usually lots of HIT workouts leading up to lots of 2*20mins FTP threshold sessions

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mak, I'd suggest a coach for a few months is your best shot.

Take a look at this - http://bikecalculator.com/examples.html

Good luck to you, it sounds like a fun experience.

Latest Comments