Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

User requirements for a cycling water bottle

Hi !
It would be of great help if you would be so kind to answer the questionnaire on the link below.
The research is part of my master thesis as an engineer, about the production of sports water bottles. It takes 5-8 min.

https://forms.gle/SHDuhdXWWZhLxx2X8

Please do share the link if you know others who have experience with or could have interesting demands for a sports water bottle !  1

Thanks a lot and merry Christmas !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Natrix | 4 years ago
0 likes

An important factor for professional riders is that the lid pops off and the bottle flattens when ridden over.  This is why the peleton tends to use bottles with push on lids rather than screw on lids.  The thinking is that it reduces accidents in the lead up to sprint finishes when the riders jettison their bottles, riding over a bottle with a screw on lid that doesn't deform could cause an accident.

Quite a few amateue riders use these bottles just because the professionals do...........

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

youngmanonfire, with your ability to produce crap online surveys, you have a bright future as a product manager in Specialized's shoe division.

TheBillder | 4 years ago
1 like

I'd pay more if I could disassemble the mouthpiece to get it really clean. Some of my bottles are labelled not to do this; the rest are blank. I don't want to destroy one in trying it.

hawkinspeter replied to TheBillder | 4 years ago
0 likes

TheBillder wrote:

I'd pay more if I could disassemble the mouthpiece to get it really clean. Some of my bottles are labelled not to do this; the rest are blank. I don't want to destroy one in trying it.

I've got some Camelbak (before I realised their connection to gun sales) bottles that have a good mouthpiece design for cleaning.

mattsccm | 4 years ago
2 likes

Thats for a masters? Jeez.  My 9 year old class would ask better questions. 

A couple of questions on sustainability. May or may not have relevance but surely thats a universal almost given nowadays.

Rest are ridiculous as current bike bottles do all of that so could be assumed as a given. 

OP. Go to a bike shop. Buy a cycling water bottle . Copy it. 

Dangerous Dan | 4 years ago
0 likes

I can get a polyethelene bottle for $5 or abour 4 GBP.  I normally carry a stainless bottle that cost about $15 ( 11 GBP).  I can open the valve with one hand.  It keeps my tea hot longer.  It doesn't make it taste funky. It doesn't leak.  And... it fits in a standard bottle cage!!!

Important features:

If it doesn't fit in a standard cage it isn't a bicycle water bottle. 

1) One hand operation.

2) No funky taste.

3) OK with hot liquids.

4) Reasonable cost.

5) No leaks.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
0 likes

One question not asked, and given the obviousness of some of the others would seem to be an oversight, is how secure the bottle must be in a standard bottle cage or whether the buyer would be happier with a bottle specific securing mechanism.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, well, leakage. It's not a yes/no thing. Water bottles don't leak in a bottle cage, the right way up, sure. Some do leak a bit the wrong way up, maybe haphazardly placed in a rucksack on the way to a ride. Others can be made to leak because their spouts open at the least provocation, again whilst packed in a bag.

I like a water bottle that I can chuck in a bag without fear that it will leak. Just because it never leaks in use in a bottle cage does not mean it won't leak upside down squashed and jostled in a bag.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Ditto, I think it should be a given that a water bottle is not made of toxic materials that leach into the contents, does not leak and does not impart an odor or taste to the contents. 

No point in asking about this, if any of those elements are not satisfied the product is an instant fail and I wouldn't want it even if it were offered for free.   An engineering student asking about the importance of a non-leaking bottle...f*ck me, everything's gone to the dogs no

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

wothesaid

Can we have prices in GBP.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

I've filled that in now.

Some of the questions seem a bit pointless to me - why would anyone want a water bottle that transferred smell/chemicals etc into the contents? Similarly, no-one wants a leaking bottle - why even bother asking those kinds of questions?

Latest Comments