Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turbo woes

Merry Christmas to you all

I've got a wheel on turbo and recently I keep getting loads of punctures. I've repaired them multiple times, replaced the inner tubes, checked the rim tape, checked the tyre, checked for loose spokes and cleaned the rim bed. 

I'm using a Continental Ultra Sport 2 wired 28mm tyre on a DT Swiss 1.0 wheel (a cheap OEM). Tyre inflated to 100psi and calibrated properly.

Anyone got any ideas? (The wife has said a Kickr is out of the question)

Thanks for any suggestions

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

melliott | 4 years ago
2 likes

Thanks @Drinfinity. A little bit of lubricating washing up liquid and a build up of annoyance at the kids on Christmas Day meant I managed to get the turbo tyre on for the first time with a fresh inner tube. It took 110psi and a 70 minute 275W session, so hoping it's all better. The ultra sport 2 has gone in the bin.

Thanks everyone

melliott | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tyre lovers? I'd heard about rubber fetishes but I think I misunderstood...

I've tried mounting 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock but had same issue at 6ish.

I will try soapy water, having tried the rest.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

Levers, obviously. Tyre lovers could be quite helpful.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Blowout before getting the wheel back on? Sounds like trapping the inner tube when fitting. If you start fitting at the valve, then the last bit where you are levering the tyre bead over the rim will be opposite the valve, hence punctures at about 6 oclock.

Usual tips apply- partly inflate inner tube, soapy water to lubricate the bead, avoid tyre lovers if you can.

melliott | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks @Mikey: Some variation in location, but recurring issues at 5:30 if valve is at 12, these are all on the rim side. Others have been on side wall/seams. I've repaired tubes and used new ones, tbf one was a blow out from a badly repaired patch. 

I can control the pressure from the roller, but I've had blow outs before I've managed to get the wheel back on. I have used the tyre outside, but it has been a turbo tyre for about 2000km on my better Bontrager wheels with no issues at all. I moved it to the DT Swiss spare rear and it was fine for about 500km and then the recurring punctures started happening. There's plenty of life in the tyre (I reckon).

Thanks @Rapha, the DT Swiss is my old wheel. Not even getting it on the bike let alone the turbo. I've got a trainer tyre but it almost broke my fingers unsuccessfully trying to get it on. Might need to try again after it spends some time on a radiator to soften (it might work).

Wheel service? New thicker/better quality rim tape?

Rapha Nadal | 4 years ago
1 like

It's the heat.  Get yourself an old wheel and put a trainer specific tyre on it.  That'll solve the issue.

the_mikey | 4 years ago
0 likes

Where on the innertube are the punctures occuring?  (on the tyre side or the rim/spoke side?) Are you repairing the tube or replacing the tube?  

Can you control how much pressure the wheel is placing on the trainer roller? 
Have you ever used that tyre on the road?

Mikey

Latest Comments