Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultrasonic cleaner recommendation

Any recommendations for a GOOD ultrasonic cleaner?  For 3 years I was blessed with the use of a 6-liter unit that was discarded and auctioned off by a lab, I got it for a song.  Used it to clean chains, cassettes and the likes.  Terrific results, everything came out looking like new and spotless.  Then the heating element died and in doing so it fried 2 of the transducers.  Can't be repaired and just yesterday I found out that the same model new costs over 1500 Euro (!).

On amazon I see plenty of Chinese models costing about 100 Euro but surely there must be a performance difference....  Am willing to spend about 250 Euro/200 GBP on it.  Should be 6 liter, stainless steel chamber, basket and have heating capacity for the detergent.  

Any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

I had the original chain on my 92 marin palasades break quite quickly, probably shimano and me changing under load.  Went to Sachs Sedis and never had a chain break, did have a 9 speed quick link go a few years back, good bike so had probably been removed too many times for cleaning the rest of the drivetrain.

When I could no longer get quality Sram 8 speed chains for my commuter I gave KMC chains a go, they still make a large range for variety of systems.  I decided to follow their advice and not use my chain scrubber and solvent degreaser.  It has not seemed to have had a noticable decrease or increase in chain life.  What it did do was make my life a great deal simpler.  I still give it a really good wipe before lubing, several times a week when needed, with a very good wipe and flossing at the weekend, thick Finish Line cross country lube too.  Then rather than using the scrubber every few weeks, you know when you give the chain a quick twist and it sound grindy, just a lube, and because the chain is not stripped no need for the double application.  Quick wipe later and off.

The KMC doesn't seem to do the grindy when twised thing either, maybe the good original lube really does stay where it is meant to.  They could be right and stripping it does allow dirt in with the fresh lube.

And much less desire to do the strip down drivetrain clean every so often because the chain is not sparkly clean now.  You know on a grubby cassette and jockeys.

Still scrubbing the 9 speed Sram on the good bike, and they have cut the top end 9 speed chains from their range, with regular strip downs, XTR and all that.  Never stays clean anyway, nature of off road riding.

The single speed KMC on the new Rohloff build stays one hell of a lot cleaner, and so much easier to clean, single sprocket at the back.  Lumps of mud can actually stick to the outside, no jockeys to grind it in.  All further from the filth too.

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

In 6 years of riding I've never had any problems with KMC links.  I have, however, once snapped a Shimano chain which I can only assume broke at the stupid break off pin that they provide.  Now sure, maybe if it was "properly installed" it wouldn't have broken, but I'm by no means ham fisted so if getting it "properly installed" is beyond me I'll just stick to the quick links.  As for Campag and their eleventy billion pound pin peening tools... nope.

Glov Zaroff replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
1 like

vonhelmet wrote:

As for Campag and their eleventy billion pound pin peening tools... nope.

I've never met anyone who owns one. When I used to fit the pins I used Lezyne's 15 quid tool.

Dingaling replied to Glov Zaroff | 4 years ago
2 likes

Jimmy Walnuts wrote:

vonhelmet wrote:

As for Campag and their eleventy billion pound pin peening tools... nope.

I've never met anyone who owns one. When I used to fit the pins I used Lezyne's 15 quid tool.

We should meet and close the gap in your experience. During a moment of temporary insanity I bought the campag chaintool and a few pins. I have always enjoyed having the right tools for a job and I have very few that haven't paid for themselves (most of them several times over) but the chaintool is one of them.

Secret_squirrel | 4 years ago
1 like

I snapped a chain in the worst possible way...

Many years back a I re-used a shimano 10  speed chain that I had split and rejoined.  I forget why - I think it was maybe my first 10sp experience.  That chain snapped on the way to the LBS on a test ride, and as best as I could reconstruct the plates had splayed apart and got jammed in the mech.

Pretzeled the XTR rear mech cage and the non-replaceable ritchey hooded dropout on my MTB.   Fortunately it was steel frame so after much ££ I was able to get it all fixed.

A thing you only ever do once though...

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

Depends how it snaps. If it's bent itself wider than the chain and you put 800w on the crank arm, it'll bring your mech with it as it goes round 

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

I managed to break a KMC quick link, but it was years old and had probably been through at least 20 open-close cycles. I've also snapped a Shimano Ultegra 6600 chain at a factory-joined link too - just goes to show that nothing lasts forever.

I don't understand how a snapped chain would take out your mech and wheel though. The only time I've ever seen that happen was when a mate's (Canyon) derailleur hanger failed.

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

I only ever use the pin 

Glov Zaroff | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, that was back in 2010 when Campagnolo had just released 11-speed and it was all shiny and new. I don't know anyone who still uses the 11-speed pin on their Campagnolo chain these days. The first thing I do is throw the wee pin bag in the workshop drawer! A KMC quick-link is just as good. 

Nice to read that Zinn uses ProGold ProLink though. I use it all year round.

Nick T replied to Glov Zaroff | 4 years ago
0 likes

Jimmy Walnuts wrote:

A KMC quick-link is just as good. 

I wouldn't say they're just as good, but they're probably good enough. You've not had one one fail yet but they do fail regularly enough, you can find plenty of evidence with a quick search online, and when they do there's the risk that it'll take your rear mech, rear wheel, or both, with it when it goes. I don't think there's ever been a reported failure of a properly installed pin. 

I'll have those spare pins off you if they're going begging though! 

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

It says it on that bit of paper with every new chain that you chuck away, here's a website though - skip to the bottom

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/CampyWorld/Corporate/installation_of_ca...

they say it because removing a chain for cleaning isn't necessary, and it's technically unsafe - the chain is designed with a specific open pair of plates with the tag attached, this is the only one that will correctly mate with the peened rivet they provide. When installed correctly there is no weak link in the chain, unlike with speed links etc. Here's Lennard Zinn on the subject too

https://www.velonews.com/2010/03/technical-faq/technical-faq-maintaining...

cougie | 4 years ago
0 likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI7E-JGSzuQ

DIY for next to nothing !

Team EPO | 4 years ago
1 like

Random thought but coud use just use an ultra sonic toothbrush (but with a different head!) only £23 and you get shiny teeth too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Toothbrush-Fairywill-Charged-Rechargea...

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

To be sure, I don't need the ultrasonic cleaner to go down the molten speedwax route.  Been there, tried that and while it works reasonably well it was just too much hassle especially with a wet climate such as where I am, it doesn't last very long at all (I ride about 250 km/week, 90% on one bicycle).  For me that mileage translates to 2-3 chains and one cassette/year.

But I do like my chain and cassette + derailleur pulleys to be absolutely spotless and for that nothing comes close to an ultrasonic cleaner (well, hot water, detergent and brushes + a LOT of time might).  Dunk it in with detergent, run, wipe down, place chain in absolute ethanol overnight, shake then bake dry, let cool, install and lube. It looks like more faff than it is.

Thanks to @gonedownhill for the tips about used lab equipment, I found a new cleaner, just need to work out the details of getting it shipped out.

StraelGuy | 4 years ago
2 likes

I always used to clean my chains in white spirit before relubing but I don't bother now after a simple experiment. I put a new chain on and used the 'lube it and clean' it technique ie apply new lube over dirty chain when necassary and then use cloths to get any and all excess oil off the chain before refitting. I got exactly the same sort of mileage out of that chain that I did when I cleaned chains so I don't bother anymore, simply not worth it.

srchar replied to StraelGuy | 4 years ago
2 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

I don't bother anymore, simply not worth it.

Same here. Plus, my commuter, which is the bike that sees all the crud, is fitted with Veloce; a new 10-speed chain only costs £11. I used to faff around rotating chains at 1,500km, but life's too short.

Awavey replied to srchar | 4 years ago
1 like
srchar wrote:

StraelGuy wrote:

Same here. Plus, my commuter, which is the bike that sees all the crud, is fitted with Veloce; a new 10-speed chain only costs £11. I used to faff around rotating chains at 1,500km, but life's too short.

I always remember being told by a grizzled old cyclist if you think you need to sonic clean your chain, actually you've left it too late to clean it already.So I just de-grease,wipe excess muck off it and replace as a consumable as needed

hawkinspeter replied to Awavey | 4 years ago
0 likes

Awavey wrote:
srchar wrote:

StraelGuy wrote:

I always remember being told by a grizzled old cyclist if you think you need to sonic clean your chain, actually you've left it too late to clean it already.So I just de-grease,wipe excess muck off it and replace as a consumable as needed

Ironically, I only used mine on brand new unused chains.

gonedownhill | 4 years ago
0 likes

Without checking myself, Severnsales (Bristol based) sell 2nd hand labware or https://www.go-dove.com/ which is a kind of industry Ebay might have something.

peted76 | 4 years ago
2 likes

I've great respect for anyone fastidious enough to clean with an ultrasonic cleaner and have often thought about getting one, I've used my dad before and it's ace. But not for chains, that's far too much hassle for me personally, the thought of getting the chain lubricant to penetrate deep enough would give me nightmares.

Personally, my regime involves regular cleaning with Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner, a chain sponge, a good brush and old towel and honestly, I've never had such a clean or smooth running chain, tis a thing of sparkly beauty.

Mathemagician replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
12 likes

peted76 wrote:

I've used my dad before and it's ace.

I question both your morals and the nature of your paternal relation. 

longassballs replied to Mathemagician | 4 years ago
0 likes
Xenophon2 wrote:

Nick T wrote:

How many new chains could you buy with the money and save yourself an awful lot of fucking about in the process

Some people have trouble reading.  I'll decide where I put my cash and right now I want to spend it on an ultrasonic cleaner.  You buy all the chains you want with yours.

Mathemagician wrote:

peted76 wrote:

I've used my dad before and it's ace.

I question both your morals and the nature of your paternal relation. 

Some proper laughs in this thread  21

I've never done the ultrasonic cleaner wax thing purely because I thought with my luck the cheapo consumer one I would buy would inevitably break after 6 months

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

The last time I replaced a chain was about 3 years ago, I do have 5 bikes of which 3 see the most use. I keep them all very clean, while chains and cassettes are "clean enough". I'd estimate Chorus chains are good for at least 10,000km in my own particular usage.

I found the same as you with dry waxes like parafin, it just flakes off doesn't it. In my anecdotal experience with bicycles and motorbikes, any lube added topically is primarily to prevent friction/wear at the tooth/roller interface - if you can't easily remove the internally sited lubricants then it won't easily be disturbed by the elements. 

anyhow we're getting off topic, let's see if we can find the OP his ultrasonic cleaner in the end 

Nick T | 4 years ago
9 likes

How many new chains could you buy with the money and save yourself an awful lot of fucking about in the process

Xenophon2 replied to Nick T | 4 years ago
11 likes

Nick T wrote:

Some people have trouble reading.  I'll decide where I put my cash and right now I want to spend it on an ultrasonic cleaner.  You buy all the chains you want with yours.

Nick T replied to Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Xenophon2 wrote:

Nick T wrote:

I read quite fluently thank you but if you want to have another attempt at it yourself, you may realise that my rhetorical question was not an instruction for you to spend your cash anywhere in particular

hawkinspeter replied to Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Nick T wrote:

I got a small (0.75l) ultrasonic cleaner from eBay for cleaning chains when I was trying out paraffin wax as a lubricant. It was only around £20 and ended up being free for me as they sent me the smaller model (couldn't fit a cassette into it though). After a few months, I decided that it wasn't worth the time investment for me, but it's not necessarily a bad idea. (I used that Screwfix degreaser too)

Nick T replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Nick T wrote:

I got a small (0.75l) ultrasonic cleaner from eBay for cleaning chains when I was trying out paraffin wax as a lubricant. It was only around £20 and ended up being free for me as they sent me the smaller model (couldn't fit a cassette into it though). After a few months, I decided that it wasn't worth the time investment for me, but it's not necessarily a bad idea. (I used that Screwfix degreaser too)

I'm not sold on cleaning chains (or anything with moving parts) that deeply, personally - it may look like new but a worn chain will still be worn, and now you've driven relatively clean lubricant out of places that are hard to replace so it'll potentially wear even faster. Chains and cassettes are disposable components so they're going to wear out eventually, Campag don't advise chain removal so I leave everything on the bike when cleaning and I still get several years of use out of them before the need to replace

hawkinspeter replied to Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

Nick T wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Nick T wrote:

I'm not sold on cleaning chains (or anything with moving parts) that deeply, personally - it may look like new but a worn chain will still be worn, and now you've driven relatively clean lubricant out of places that are hard to replace so it'll potentially wear even faster. Chains and cassettes are disposable components so they're going to wear out eventually, Campag don't advise chain removal so I leave everything on the bike when cleaning and I still get several years of use out of them before the need to replace

Several years use out of a chain? I go through one or two a year.

The theory behind deep cleaning a chain before immersing it in hot paraffin wax is that the grease prevents the wax from sticking to the metal properly. Personally, I found that the wax didn't last that well so I switched back to using a commercial lubricant (https://www.dry-fluids.com/dryfluid-bike-2.html) . The big advantage of using dry/wax lubricants is to prevent dirt from sticking to the chain and forming a grinding paste that does reduce the life of your chain and cassette.

Glov Zaroff replied to Nick T | 4 years ago
2 likes

Nick T wrote:

Campag don't advise chain removal so I leave everything on the bike when cleaning and I still get several years of use out of them before the need to replace

I’ve never seen that mentioned myself (got a link?) but if they’re stating that then it’s to sell more chains – just like KMC and their quick-links.

I’ve been riding bikes fitted with Campagnolo for a hell of a long time (I have five ranging from Record, SR and Record EPS right now) and I’ve been removing Campagnolo chains to give them deep cleans using a tried and tested two-stage cleaning process (degreaser then white spirit) with zero issues to function and longevity.

Pages

Latest Comments